Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 15,121 times

Advertisements

You can survive on 35K in Chicago if you are single and do not want to buy property. Real estate is not affordable. I suggest getting your hands on a copy of the Chicago Reader. This is the local free urban newspaper. South loop is undergoing yuppie renovation. Bucktown is artsy. Pilsen area is now hispanic and cheaper. The ukranian district is still mostly unknown (and cheaper) around the area of Chicago Ave and Halsted. As far as acceptance goes, if you are an acceptable person, you will be accepted. How you act toward others is more important than skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 AM

124 posts, read 379,521 times
Hmmm....I don't mean to sound like some gilded heir, 'cause I'm definitely not. This made me think, and I did some math trying to figure as cheaply as possible:

$35K = about $2250/mo take home

Monthly bills:

$500 Rent
$200 Groceries
$30 Utilities-Phone only
$80 CTA Pass
$120 Entertainment

$1320 monthly surplus

This looks good so far, but I made the following assumptions:

23% tax rate including Fed, State, SS, and Medicare to arrive at monthly take-home

$500 rent assumes a studio with heat included in what would probably be a sketchy building in a sketchy neighborhood, and that a studio would be adequate

No cable or internet charges

Health insurance and 401(k), if available through employer, not taken into account

Renter's Insurance not taken into account

No emergency fund

No car

The surplus would shrink pretty quickly if a couple of the above were added to the monthly bills.

So, it looks like it can be done if one wants to live a rather spartan lifestyle, but who among us at the age of 22, save for the aforementioned gilded few, didn't live as a bohemian?

To those who have made, or still do make a life here on $35K, I tip my Sox hat to you.

Note to NY: The buildings on 95th & 52nd in Oak Lawn are all condo. One could possibly find a condo rental from one of the flippers who got stuck when the RE market jumped into the toilet, but it'd be a stretch for someone making $35K.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
For Dallas. Check out
Blacks in Dallas - Why and where Blacks are choosing Dallas

This is the message board on that site if you miss it.
Blacks in Dallas Message Board - BlacksinDallas.com - Blacks In Dallas Message Board

I believe Houston has a similar website.

Dallas area black population is only at 843,000 putting it in the top 10 in the Country. Dallas ,along with Houston, are expected to have over 1 million blacks in the next 5-10 years. Besides Atlanta, more blacks have moved to Dallas than any other metro since 1990 and over 100,000 blacks moved to the DFW area since 2000 behind Atlanta and Miami.

Chicago is also a great city for blacks. I have family there. If you want the best urban environment, go to Chicago. Not to say Dallas doesn't have it, but Chicago is on another level when it comes to urbanity. Chicago is a little bit more expensive than Dallas but Chicago is nothing compared to the coasts when it comes to housing costs. 35k can get you a house in Dallas I know that.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiguy1957 View Post
Hmmm....I don't mean to sound like some gilded heir, 'cause I'm definitely not. This made me think, and I did some math trying to figure as cheaply as possible:

$35K = about $2250/mo take home

Monthly bills:

$500 Rent
$200 Groceries
$30 Utilities-Phone only
$80 CTA Pass
$120 Entertainment

$1320 monthly surplus

This looks good so far, but I made the following assumptions:

23% tax rate including Fed, State, SS, and Medicare to arrive at monthly take-home

$500 rent assumes a studio with heat included in what would probably be a sketchy building in a sketchy neighborhood, and that a studio would be adequate

No cable or internet charges

Health insurance and 401(k), if available through employer, not taken into account

Renter's Insurance not taken into account

No emergency fund

No car

The surplus would shrink pretty quickly if a couple of the above were added to the monthly bills.

So, it looks like it can be done if one wants to live a rather spartan lifestyle, but who among us at the age of 22, save for the aforementioned gilded few, didn't live as a bohemian?

To those who have made, or still do make a life here on $35K, I tip my Sox hat to you.

Note to NY: The buildings on 95th & 52nd in Oak Lawn are all condo. One could possibly find a condo rental from one of the flippers who got stuck when the RE market jumped into the toilet, but it'd be a stretch for someone making $35K.
35k can be enough for sure. You can even buy a studio or 1bd condo if you know where to look making 35k.

If anything, the car is the deal breaker. In most parts of Chicago you do not need a car if you work in the city.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:36 AM

54 posts, read 200,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2006 View Post
My friend is a 22 yr old single black male who's trying to decide between Chicago, Dallas, or San Francisco. He needs a place that's reasonably affordable (he makes $35K/yr) but wants a place full of culture, tolerance, and potential job growth. BTW can a person live modestly on $35K in Chicago or San Francisco?

For tolerance, San Francisco wins hands down. But there aren't that many black people in San Fran and it's not affordable so cross that off your list. Neither Chicago or Texas are accepting of blacks, but I'd recommend Dallas for young black professionals and affordability. Plus there is little to no segregation there so you wouldn't have to travel far for the basics like you would in Chicago. And also both cities are car cities since chicago's public transit has become downright retarded thanks to doomsday.

Dallas is in the top 10 cities for blacks. He'd also have the benefit of traveling to Houston for leisure. Most Chicagoans have no interest in traveling to northwest Indiana,Milwaukee, Indianapolis, or St. Louis.

Last edited by misspetite; 01-21-2008 at 01:41 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
or tolerance, San Francisco wins hands down. But there aren't that many black people in San Fran and it's not affordable so cross that off your list. Neither Chicago or Texas are accepting of blacks,

What do you mean neither Chicago or Texas are accepting of blacks. I'm black raised in Texas who lived in Chicago at one time and I disagree with that statement 100%.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:27 AM

54 posts, read 200,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What do you mean neither Chicago or Texas are accepting of blacks. I'm black raised in Texas who lived in Chicago at one time and I disagree with that statement 100%.

I'm black too. Both cities have their downsides. The recent lynchings and overt racism in Texas (not Dallas). I have friends that live in Dallas now that talk about the racism there so I don't think it's an exaggeration. I just don't think Texas is as accepting/tolerant as say...Georgia.

Last edited by misspetite; 01-21-2008 at 02:53 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 09:13 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
I'm black as well and while I haven't been to Texas recently but I have lived in Chicago and found it in no way to not be accepting of blacks.

I worked downtown in a Fortune 500 company and half of my office was black. I lived on the border of Uptown and Lakeview and I never, never felt out of place interacting with my neighbors or local owners.

I think the only valid argument you have is that the city is somewhat segregated. However, every city in the country is segregated besides NYC. It seems to be more of an income issue than race issue.

I always hear of these race issues but I never hear of any actual accounts. As a black male I feel that blacks are missing out on a great city because of a percieved race problem. Is Chicago the most integrated city on the planet? No. To call it not accepting of blacks would be a huge overexaggeration.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
And I wouldn't say Atlanta is particularly welcoming of blacks either... at least not from stories I have heard

Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspetite View Post
I'm black too. Both cities have their downsides. The recent lynchings and overt racism in Texas (not Dallas). I have friends that live in Dallas now that talk about the racism there so I don't think it's an exaggeration. I just don't think Texas is as accepting/tolerant as say...Georgia.

And if you don't think those things do not happen in Georgia, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell to you. Racism is still prevalent in every southern state. To say that it is going on in Texas moreso than Georgia is false. Dallas is segregated but most cities are and Dallas is starting to integrate rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago