Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:20 PM

97 posts, read 190,633 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to the Windy City soon. It seems all the decent hotels go for around $150 a night to start. I am on a budget, is there any hotels on the outskirts near public transportation worth staying at? Now I have thought about hotels at O'Hare and Midway, but they seem to be like an hour away. Is there any hotels that are closer and on public transportation that are under $100 a night? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:43 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Why not bid under $100 on priceline? I got a room at the Palmer House Hilton a few years ago for $95 a night and similar deals at the Wyndham Riverfront and Doubletree.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 PM

While that would be a good way to go, I do not presently have a credit card and some hotels will not let you rent a room without one at all.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times
The rates at Chicago hotels are VERY different between winter and summer. I have stayed at hotels right off of miraculous mile for only $59 in the winter. The same one looks like it is $179 right now. Last summer the same hotel was $339/night. Even tiny Air BNB rentals nearby were over $150.

Try the HI Hostel in the south loop.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 AM

Thank you for the suggestion Tjasse. I had forgotten about the HI Hostel. It is still a little pricey for a private room with a shared bathroom, but still much more affordable than the hotels in the area. Thank you again! - Mike

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
I stayed at the Getaway Hostel. It's in a awesome Victorian high-end neighborhood. North of downtown. But a short "el" train ride to the Loop or what I preferred.... using CLARK St/Broadway bus to downtown. You can get off easy for the Northern parts like North Michigan Ave. 1/2 block east of the Hostel. Clark St bus also goes north to unfinished Wrigley Field or "el"train. Also the Hostel is few blocks from Fullerton Beach that's very nice. You can call to book rooms and pay on arrival. Good amount of other Hostels around and in downtown now too.

Getaway Hostel sight (included because it gives complete accommodations and some other Hostels, but not all)
Chicago Getaway Hostel, Chicago, USA: Book Now!

Directly to Hostel sight
Chicago Youth Hostel Rooms & Rates

All Hostels list
Chicago Hostels Listing - All Hostels in Chicago at Hostels.com

Old 04-14-2015, 09:55 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,021 times
Why not go to places that are $100/week?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:17 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Expecting to stay in central Chicago during the summer for under $100 per night is overly optimistic, especially if you're booking with less than a month to go. And in order to get the best deals, you will need a credit card.

If you had a credit card, you could use Airbnb which would give you a fair number of options near transit on the North Side near good transit for well under $100 per night even after fees and taxes. Some of them are even "instant book" properties, so you know they're available and don't have to inquire with the host first.

Even if you have poor credit or don't want to owe money, if you have cash you can get a secured credit card, which gives you access to everything a credit card does without getting yourself into debt.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:03 AM

Thanks, now don't get me wrong. I do have a debit card. It is just that some hotels will only accept credit cards instead.

I have been looking into both Hostels and Airbnb as well. My thing is with Hostels the clientel tends to be quite young. Also, I tend to value my privacy as well. We'lll see though, I am adaptable.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:37 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Many hotels still accept debit cards for incidentals. Before booking a room on Priceline, just call the hotels and ask if they take debit cards and also find out how much they authorize to the card for incidentals. Some hotels authorize as much as $500 per night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago