Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:15 AM

591 posts, read 781,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
This literally made me LOL, soda out the nose. Haha.
The Empire State Building? Big whoop! Sometimes the Chicago homers take it too far. Not as bad as in the Minneapolis forum, though.
NOLA is know for "Anti-Chicago" ideology, and is the farthest thing from a Chicago homer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 09:57 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,114 times
I guess so, but it was pretty funny. That intersection is NBD because there's no interesting buildings there, just the Empire State Building.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:20 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
NOLA is know for "Anti-Chicago" ideology, and is the farthest thing from a Chicago homer
Wrong. Chicago is one of my favorite cities. It's probably my third favorite North American city. The issue is that on C-D, Chicago, for some odd reason, has the biggest bunch of delusional boosters you will ever meet. I think only Toronto tops Chicago on C-D in terms of mindless boosterism, and even with Toronto, it is like one or two crazy forumers, not like the entire population of Chicago forumers.

Only on C-D will someone declare Fifth Avenue to be a minor street, or the Empire State Building to be a little-known structure, or declare that an intersection is only important if there are at least TWO world class monuments side by side. Move the Eiffel Tower and maybe the Leaning Tower of Pisa to Fifth Ave., or the ESB is clearly bush league, I guess. Stick around, and you'll hear even sillier stuff on this subforum.

The best is when people debate actual Census data or other statistics with their own subjective opinions. "Yeah the NYC subway might carry 8 million people, but I rode the NYC subway last week and it was less crowded then in Chicago, therefore, the Census is wrong". "Yeah, the Census showed population loss in Illinois but my Aunt Mary just moved into a downtown condo. I think the Census screwed up". That is the most typical line of (non) reasoning.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:17 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Wrong. Chicago is one of my favorite cities. It's probably my third favorite North American city. The issue is that on C-D, Chicago, for some odd reason, has the biggest bunch of delusional boosters you will ever meet. I think only Toronto tops Chicago on C-D in terms of mindless boosterism, and even with Toronto, it is like one or two crazy forumers, not like the entire population of Chicago forumers.
I think you missed the point of several of the posts.

The thread is about why there are no supertalls in the Loop. The comment about "main streets" you tripped over yourself to miss the point of. That part of 5th Avenue isn't very much like the part of 5th Avenue that's famous, just like the part of Michigan Avenue between Roosevelt and Cermak, while still pretty dense and still in the Central Area, is nothing like the Magnificent Mile that makes Michigan Avenue famous. And both 33rd and 34th are "pretty narrow," both are more narrow than Chestnut or Delaware, since the mention of the ESB was in contrast to the Hancock. The reason Hancock was mentioned was that this is the Chicago forum and Chet was pointing out that the plaza in front of the Hancock - despite its flaws - changes the feel around the Hancock and that the lack of something similar near the ESB prevents that area from benefits from such a feature. Whether you like the Hancock plaza or not, it definitely changes the area and something by ESB would also definitely change that area and give people a reason to hang around there instead of just heading to and from the viewing decks of the ESB.

As far as "random 5-story bulidings" go, the intersection of 33rd and 5th, which includes the ESB, has 2 of the four corners anchored with 5-floor buildings. 34th on the block that ESB shares even has 2-story buildings, and to the Korean thing, there are a bunch of Korean places on 32nd Street - as Marothisu said, that's Koreatown. Which, while we're drawing comparisons between Manhattan and Chicago, has better Korean food than anywhere in Chicago.

The ESB is indisputably iconic - no one said anything to the contrary. But the *area* it's in is fairly typical Manhattan. To the extent that Manhattan itself is iconic, the area is part of iconic Manhattan, but the *area* around ESB is otherwise unremarkable. That doesn't detract from the ESB. The Loop is iconic in its own way but some parts of it are unremarkable, and this thread is a discussion of why the Loop doesn't have supertalls as part of it, not a discussion of why some parts of Manhattan are not especially iconic in and of themselves.

You're called "anti-Chicago" because you choose to read Chicagoan's comments as naive or boosterish instead of taking them in context and reading the entire meaning of what people say. You may not be anti-Chicago, but you are pretty clearly anti-Chicagoan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago