Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:36 PM

56 posts, read 77,866 times

Advertisements

Definitely consider near the lake, if you can (and find something at meets your other criteria). That's an asset so few of us get to take advantage of. I used to live in the Lakeview East/Lincoln Park area, and I really miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Probably the most realistic options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Gold Coast MIGHT work for a 2 bed in a few buildings, though maybe not on average. At least that's for a 1 bath and you wouldn't be guaranteed to get something upscale. You might find some, but I bet on average it's not necessarily upscale. 2 bath would probably be over budget for you to be honest. If you want to look in that area, look north of Division Street and east of La Salle. South Loop may work too though that's more of an in the works neighborhood.

Otherwise, if you want an urban area, you might like an area like Lincoln Square/Ravenswood/North Center or Roscoe Village perhaps. Lakeview and Lincoln Park may work too - there are some very young areas in both though that you probably would want to stay away from (i.e. Wrigleyville and right near the Belmont Red/Brown/Purple train station).
$3000 is a lot of money but the pressure to make more buildings more upscale is driving prices higher. The relative amount of time and money that one spends getting around do errands and such in a neighborhood with bigger chain grocery stories and other not-so-pricey local options vs having the costly and limited options of "in-building" shopping / services should also be considered. For folks that are retired their fixed income can quickly be devoured by the "luxury amenities" that really are not all that luxurious. The other factors include the relative affordability and neighborliness of locally owned restaurants / night spots that you'll find in Roscoe Village or Lincoln Square vs the kind of places in more tourist oriented parts of the city.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:43 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
You might also like Evanston. It's a college town; you know what that's like being from Boston. It has a nice downtown, is off the lake and the CTA goes there.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:42 PM

57 posts, read 145,884 times
The price gap between a 1-bed/1-bath and a 2-bed/2-bath is pretty substantial. I'm not sure if the same is true in Boston (I suspect that the gap might be proportionately larger in Chicago, as many units here have bedrooms that approach living space in size).

More to the point, if you want to live in an especially nice building in the most expensive areas, you might save some money by finding a place that has a full bedroom and then a smaller convertible area that could be used as a second bedroom or an office. You are probably more likely to find such a unit in a condo building than in a managed apartment complex, as the latter tend to be set up specifically for "one tenant, two tenants," etc., rather than "couple that might add a kid" or "person who wants a guest room." I lived in a nice South Loop (rented) condo for two years at roughly the price of a large 1-bedroom in a comparable building and sublet the second room to a friend. The one downside is these types of units will probably be one-bath (or at least only have one full bath, with shower/tub, etc.), so I'm not sure how set you are on the one-bath preference.

In contrast, if you rent a unit with two full bedrooms, the square footage and corresponding price will go up significantly vis-a-vis a one bedroom.

If you settle on any of the more affordable neighborhoods that everyone else has been suggesting, $3000 is enough for a full 2B/2B, so disregard the above suggestion!

Old 04-22-2015, 02:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
$3000 is a lot of money but the pressure to make more buildings more upscale is driving prices higher. The relative amount of time and money that one spends getting around do errands and such in a neighborhood with bigger chain grocery stories and other not-so-pricey local options vs having the costly and limited options of "in-building" shopping / services should also be considered. For folks that are retired their fixed income can quickly be devoured by the "luxury amenities" that really are not all that luxurious. The other factors include the relative affordability and neighborliness of locally owned restaurants / night spots that you'll find in Roscoe Village or Lincoln Square vs the kind of places in more tourist oriented parts of the city.
4 years ago, the number of buildings where you could spend $3000 for a 1 bedroom rental unit were barely any. It's definitely increased since then. While $3000 is a lot, I agree that a 2 bed/2 bath luxury unit in downtown Chicago is definitely more than $3000/month.

Areas like Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, and some areas of Lincoln Park or Lakeview are better for someone like the OP - I agree.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:02 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Keep in kind she said she wants a condo. I'm no realty expert but imagine a mortgage with a substantial down payment is going to fluctuate significantly from rent.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:26 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Keep in kind she said she wants a condo. I'm no realty expert but imagine a mortgage with a substantial down payment is going to fluctuate significantly from rent.
I guess if she is planning to buy the condo unit and not rent from another owner that might bring a mortgage down if she's doing a longer term one. Renting from a private condo owner might be cheaper too but I think that it still might be too little. Doesn't hurt to look though.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,233 times
I meant renting a condo from an owner or renting an apartment. Eventually I might buy something but since I'm not sure about neighborhood I thought I'd rent first. All the suggestions are great. I will definitely consider Linclon Square and even some of the other towns like Evanston and Oak Park. I've been to Evanston and really like it but it seems kind of far from downtown. I've never been to Oak Park so don't know what that's like.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 458 times
Old Town! Walk to beach, lakefront trails, zoo, farmer's markets, shops, bars, restaurants, coffee shops, hair salon, bike shop, bank branches, pet food stores, cta train to loop, second city and more!
My house is for sale. 3 bedrooms upstairs. 1 additional guest bedroom and another 1 as office. Attatched 2 car garage with plenty of room / storage for our 4 bikes and more. 3 full bathrooms. 1 half bath. Front porch. Courtyard with table and grill and plantings. Nicest neighbors ever!
We have a realtor and are posted in msl. 2 blocks west of wells st. Near north ave...

Old 07-09-2018, 01:18 PM

245 posts, read 304,299 times
My brother lived at 1360 N. Lake Shore Drive for years. Well run building. There are two there - one allows pets (1360) and one does not (1350.)
Rates are good considering the location. Health club or facilities in the building, also parking which is extra. Right across from Lake Michigan. Definitely Gold Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago