U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 02:29 PM

15 posts, read 20,635 times

Advertisements

My partner and I will be relocating to Chicago in mid-July, we are currentlyliving in Minneapolis and Lansing respectively. My job will be based at theUniversity of Chicago and he will be commuting between Chicago and Minneapolisfor his job. I am wondering if anyone has advice on good neighborhoods live in?

We don't have any children; our combined income will be around $140,000. We would like a 1bd with den or ideally two bedrooms in $1000-1500 range. It wouldbe nice to be an easy commute to the University of Chicago but also centrallylocated to downtown and arts district. We both currently have cars but likelywe will ditch one of these and hold onto the other just in case, although Iimagine we will be using public transportation mostly. In terms of lifestyle weare a fairly laidback couple, enjoy going to bars and new food spots and shopping, like nice things but not overtly luxurious.

Not a big fan of the condo lifestyle but will consider some optionsdepending on amenities but ideally looking for a quaint vintage inspired place(hardwood floors, original fittings, covered parking if possible etc.).

I would really appreciate any thoughts you may have on this

Thanks
S___
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 06:15 PM

15,025 posts, read 19,664,475 times
How will your husband be going to Minneapolis? Driving or flying?

Old 04-29-2015, 06:45 PM

28,449 posts, read 72,972,290 times
Lots of incongruities.

What do you consider the "arts district"? I suppose you mean River North but it could also mean other neighborhoods and that is not an official designation for any...

If you are already in Lansing I assume you know that the cheapest airfare to Minneapolis is very often via Midway. That might be a reason to consider someplace on the southside / access to the orange line BUT the access to UofC via ANY public transit is really less than ideal -- buses from the Loop tend to be the most cost effective and not terrible during rush hour, and while some folks do rely on the electric commuter trains and then take a bus across Hyde Park it is not really a great option especially in winter with the drippy / icy viaduct to start and end your day, similarly a smaller number of commuters do take the EL but it is a trip through almost unquestionably the bleakest part of Hyde Park...

Your stated budget seems quite modest, and if your combined income is in fact about $140K standard affordability indexes suggest you can comfortable spend more without risking your finances. If you do have large loans to pay off I sympathize with that, but even then you may want to consider spending a bit more to live right in Hyde Park and try to offset the typically higher cost with very modest commuting costs and speedy walks to work. There are nice mix of older building in Hyde Park that would also have good access to the smattering of shops / restaurants / night spots that Hyde Parkers cherish...

Old 04-29-2015, 07:12 PM

2,883 posts, read 4,147,783 times
I was wondering about "arts district" too. Vintage and covered parking is pretty unlikely if you're thinking the same building, though you could possibly find a garage nearby.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:21 PM

7,968 posts, read 9,820,733 times
1000-1500 for a 140K income? Modest, frugal, or extremely thrifty..

Maybe you're thinking along Lansing/Minneapolis budget lines...

Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 PM

2,659 posts, read 3,517,125 times
FYI. There are some beautiful vintage apartment buildings in Hyde Park. Finding one with covered parking is harder but possible. My brother lived in one.

I would consider Hyde Park. Minimize the commute for you, and nice if your husband will be flying out of Midway.

Good for you for being frugal. Save that great income like crazy and retire in 15 years. Enjoy life.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,167,818 times
I am in a somewhat similar situation. The cheapest flight to MSP is actually usually Spirit from O'Hare.

I don't know anything about U Chicago, but I would live in Printer's Row.

There are places like this for $1600.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/4972857984.html

Not amazing, but similar to what you find in Minneapolis.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:41 PM

15 posts, read 20,635 times
Thanks all for your replies. My partner will be flying between Chicago and Minneapolis. the rental quote was based really on the fact that we will likely keep a small place in Minneapolis for my partner to stay when he is there. But certainly would entertain something higher, up to $2000 in Chicago. I don't know Chicago that well but understood art galleries can be found in Pilsen neighborhood and museums in the downtown area, I work in the arts so would want proximity to these. if you have any more thoughts that would be greatly appreciated. Aside from Hyde park, we are currently thinking Pilsen and the South loop.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:45 PM

2,952 posts, read 4,310,218 times
Those are all decent neighborhoods.

If you are really serious about art, the galleries are in river north. There are some galleries in Pilsen along Halsted and probably elsewhere but they are much less established, or at least they used to be when I used to go to the walks on Fridays.

River North is the spot that has the most galleries outside NYC, or so they say.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:54 PM

15,025 posts, read 19,664,475 times
Many of the major museums and galleries are located downtown, but they certainly exist outside of downtown for sure. The great thing about Chicago or any other big city is that you don't have to live right in an area to enjoy it. You could still live pretty close to it. Up to $2000/month for a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom/den will not afford you to live in most buildings downtown, but fairly close to it if you want. In a city of neighborhoods, you don't have to be downtown either.

If your husband will be flying out of O'Hare, then I suggest living on the Blue Line train which runs 24/7 and goes right to O'Hare. Even if the company pays for cabs, it's along a major expressway that goes to the airport. It's good to have the option of one or the other. Orange Line goes to Midway Airport and I-55 being the major route there (though Orange Line doesn't run 24/7).

Along the blue line, I would recommend Ukrainian Village which is probably closer to the upper end of your originally quoted budget for what you want. Pilsen could work too of course or perhaps you might like parts of Logan Square which is also along the Blue Line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or