Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 15,390 times

Advertisements

I recent moved to St. Louis, a little less than a year ago, and thoroughly don't like it. I'm 24 and thought this place would be fulfilling to me, but recently I've been depressed and just ready to get out of here. The people are complete trash, and the city is very blue collar. not a place I want to live. I plan on going to grad school next year, and don't want to do it here. I've adjusted well and made friends but I just don't like the city. I think I should save up more money and move to Chicago. Or should I give this place longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 01:47 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Took me a month and a half to discover that I absolutely hated Dallas TX. Had more than my share of people tell me to give it time. After two more months I hate the city even more. Made the mistake of moving here before visiting. I chose Dallas over Chicago and have regretted it ever since I moved here.

You either enjoy the place you live or you don't. For some it may be different but for most it is not. With that said....as soon as I find another job I am out of here. Cannot happen fast enough for me.

You are young. Get out and explore as much of the world as possible. I wish I would have started when I was your age.

Physical location plays a huge role in happiness. Do whatever you can to get out of St. Louis as soon as possible. Life is too short to live in misery. Sounds like you need to get the pen and paper out and start doing your research.

Chicago is an awesome choice in my opinion.

Go for it!!

Last edited by usamathman; 05-05-2015 at 02:16 AM..

Old 05-05-2015, 02:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Maybe others have, but I've never moved to a place I didn't like and then ended up liking it. Each time I moved somewhere I could tell whether I was going to like it or not right away. The lone exception was my college town, which I liked at first and eventually grew to dislike as the years ticked by. I chalk up my initial enthusiasm to being my first time living away from my parents; under those circumstances I probably would have been initially happy no matter where I lived.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:42 AM

596 posts, read 820,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe others have, but I've never moved to a place I didn't like and then ended up liking it. Each time I moved somewhere I could tell whether I was going to like it or not right away. The lone exception was my college town, which I liked at first and eventually grew to dislike as the years ticked by. I chalk up my initial enthusiasm to being my first time living away from my parents; under those circumstances I probably would have been initially happy no matter where I lived.
Which college town was that?

Old 05-05-2015, 05:41 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
You're only 3 hours from Chicago now (from St. Louis) - plan on lots of long weekends this summer, and also in the winter to see if you like it. It's not the same as living there but at least you're not jumping blind - visit as many neighborhoods as you can and do more than just hit the bars.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:56 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
To me it sounds like you have been there long enough to know you don't like it, it's probably not going to change. I would start planning your next move and really research Chicago all you can. Nothing wrong with moving to a city and end up hating it, it happens, just plan the next move.

Hubby and I are mid 20s and lived in ohio all our lives. Going to pack up and move next year, very excited and we know if we end up really hating the place we move to, oh well.. We can move again if need be. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:00 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrice816 View Post
I recent moved to St. Louis, a little less than a year ago, and thoroughly don't like it. I'm 24 and thought this place would be fulfilling to me, but recently I've been depressed and just ready to get out of here. The people are complete trash, and the city is very blue collar. not a place I want to live. I plan on going to grad school next year, and don't want to do it here. I've adjusted well and made friends but I just don't like the city. I think I should save up more money and move to Chicago. Or should I give this place longer?
You said a little less than a year ago - have you spent a summer there yet? What part of St. Louis do you live in, and what specifically do you dislike about it (other than the trashy people), and what sort of profession do you have there?

Old 05-05-2015, 08:17 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Hmm what specifically do you not like about St. Louis and its people. I went to St. Louis a few time a couple years ago and it didn't seen all that different from the Chicago area. You have trashy ghetto neighborhoods, upscale business districts/touristy areas, large suburban areas that range from trashy to middle class to upscale. To me people are people and are more dependent on immediate neighborhood than overall geographic location. I factor in weather, cost of living, government, scenery outdoors and don't really make sweeping generalizations about the people. Maybe you are just in an undesirable neighborhood.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:04 PM

184 posts, read 245,424 times
Quote:
I think I should save up more money and move to Chicago. Or should I give this place longer?
I grew up in the St. Louis area, AND I've given it five years in the city on top of that. I'm packing my things and moving back to Chicago next month!

While I take some minimal offense to the "people are trash" comment (I'm not!!), I empathize with you. I love STL, being my hometown and all, but it's just not my scene these days. In my opinion, the city has some great things about it, but it really isn't an ideal city for someone young, single, and wanting to be in a big urban environment, ESPECIALLY if you don't have family here. It's better suited for young families looking for a family-friendly city with a good cost-of-living or people whose families have been around for generations.

I agree with what someone else said... Life is too short to be unhappy! That's why I'm moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You're only 3 hours from Chicago now (from St. Louis) - plan on lots of long weekends this summer, and also in the winter to see if you like it. It's not the same as living there but at least you're not jumping blind - visit as many neighborhoods as you can and do more than just hit the bars.
It's more like 4.5-5.5 hours, depending on how fast one drives and traffic in either of the two cities, but I agree with your sentiment. Checking it out before moving would be a good idea.

I've also lived in Chicago and disliked things about it. Ultimately, I'm moving back, as the pros of Chicago outweigh the cons when compared to STL, at least for me personally at this stage in my life. It's really all about you and what your preferences are. It's kind of hard to make a blanket statement about one city being better than the other without knowing more specifics about a person's preferences and lifestyle.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:15 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Quote:
I recent moved to St. Louis, a little less than a year ago, and thoroughly don't like it. I'm 24 and thought this place would be fulfilling to me, but recently I've been depressed and just ready to get out of here. The people are complete trash, and the city is very blue collar. not a place I want to live.
Let's say you liked chocolate ice cream over vanilla ice cream or pepperoni pizza over sausage pizza. Are you honestly going to ask how long do I have to try a certain food until I get used to it or like it?

I can give you an answer, it can be like, 3.14 years, or, 2.78 months. Is that what you're looking for?

Quote:
I plan on going to grad school next year, and don't want to do it here.
Now this should be a conversation on where to go to grad school. For Chicago, then did you research what schools in Chicago have what you want to major in?

Quote:
I've adjusted well and made friends but I just don't like the city. I think I should save up more money and move to Chicago. Or should I give this place longer?
You might as well as a psychic or a pastor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: