Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 6,515 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I've been going through some of these threads over the past few days and I'm hoping that yous can give me some insider advice.

I'm planning on doing the 1 year graduate visa from Ireland next year, or end of this year once I finish up in college in the next 2 weeks. The delay in going is to allow for savings etc.

Basically my visa allows me to come over for 14 months, 1 month of travel, 12 months of working, and 1 more month of travel. I've considered a good few places but it was suggested to me that I consider Chicago.

I know there's a large Irish base there, which isn't important to me at all really, I want to experience a new country, not be surrounded by a tone of people from my own, I think it defies the purpose of coming over for the year.

So keeping in line with my visa, I have to get a job that is in the area of my degree, which is in Accounting and Finance. I have full CAP 1 exemptions from it, and I also have a higher certificate in Business Studies. The kind of job it dictates is "internship" but essentially, it has to be somewhat of an entry level job where I would be receiving training etc.

I'm just wondering what advice you have on the finance hub over there? From my research it says there's a fairly good one, but is there?

Of course there's the whole, rent and where to live kind of thing which really confuses me! It's so different to Dublin that I just don't understand half the time if somewhere is even still in Chicago.

Budget wise, I will have, fingers crossed, about 5000 euro, so say 6000 dollars saved up with me to get me started and to help fund rent! I would ideally like a 1bd apartment, or studio for about 800?

I don't know if I'll be able to buy a car or not, maybe a bike, so transport would need to be easily accessible if things aren't with in walking distance. Ideally I'd like somewhere with a few pubs, parks etc.

I like walking, and I'd also like to be able to volunteer with a dog shelter.

Personally Chicago would be an amazing place for me to go as William Quarter is my great (multiply a few times) uncle, and he was the first bishop in Chicago and it's nice to trace a bit of the family history!

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 03:18 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayce23 View Post
Hi everybody,

I've been going through some of these threads over the past few days and I'm hoping that yous can give me some insider advice.

I'm planning on doing the 1 year graduate visa from Ireland next year, or end of this year once I finish up in college in the next 2 weeks. The delay in going is to allow for savings etc.

Basically my visa allows me to come over for 14 months, 1 month of travel, 12 months of working, and 1 more month of travel. I've considered a good few places but it was suggested to me that I consider Chicago.

I know there's a large Irish base there, which isn't important to me at all really, I want to experience a new country, not be surrounded by a tone of people from my own, I think it defies the purpose of coming over for the year.

So keeping in line with my visa, I have to get a job that is in the area of my degree, which is in Accounting and Finance. I have full CAP 1 exemptions from it, and I also have a higher certificate in Business Studies. The kind of job it dictates is "internship" but essentially, it has to be somewhat of an entry level job where I would be receiving training etc.

I'm just wondering what advice you have on the finance hub over there? From my research it says there's a fairly good one, but is there?

Of course there's the whole, rent and where to live kind of thing which really confuses me! It's so different to Dublin that I just don't understand half the time if somewhere is even still in Chicago.

Budget wise, I will have, fingers crossed, about 5000 euro, so say 6000 dollars saved up with me to get me started and to help fund rent! I would ideally like a 1bd apartment, or studio for about 800?

I don't know if I'll be able to buy a car or not, maybe a bike, so transport would need to be easily accessible if things aren't with in walking distance. Ideally I'd like somewhere with a few pubs, parks etc.

I like walking, and I'd also like to be able to volunteer with a dog shelter.

Personally Chicago would be an amazing place for me to go as William Quarter is my great (multiply a few times) uncle, and he was the first bishop in Chicago and it's nice to trace a bit of the family history!

Thank you in advance.
Others can chime in with more detail, but yes, you should be able to find a studio/1br for around 800 in a nice area, which would allow you to go carless (thus saving you a significant amount of money).

There are lots of options in finance, many of which would be in the loop/downtown area, which would allow you to live just about anywhere in the area and commute via public transit.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:15 AM

8 posts, read 6,515 times
And I've heard a lot about the Lincoln park area? Would this be a place you'd recommend? I have to start getting an idea now so once I get there I can have all this stuff boxed off in the first few weeks.

Another question would be in Ireland, all rentals come furnished unless you request otherwise, is it the same in Chicago or would they mostly be unfurnished?

Thank you so much for your reply, really appreciate you taking the time.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
And I've heard a lot about the Lincoln park area? Would this be a place you'd recommend? I have to start getting an idea now so once I get there I can have all this stuff boxed off in the first few weeks.

Another question would be in Ireland, all rentals come furnished unless you request otherwise, is it the same in Chicago or would they mostly be unfurnished?

Lincoln Park is nice, also one of the more expensive neighborhoods. You maybe able to find a small studio (might need to go a little higher). The other option would be to look for room rentals (see Craigslist). Lincoln Park contains a university, so there is some lower cost housing available, but sharing with roommates would be more likely to keep you under $800.

Furnished rentals are uncommon here, mainly used for corporate relocations and thus well above normal rental market rates.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:52 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:

Lincoln Park begins at the northern end of Downtown Chicago. I think half should be part of it and Lakeview just north of Lincoln Park. Lot of Victorian homes, many split into rentals. Both are along the Lakefront and its Harbors and Beaches.

I'd say you need to room with another to afford it for sure. There are neighborhoods west of there.. the whole NORTHSIDE of the city basically.

These are 360° streetviews in these neighborhoods. You can use them to stroll through the streets. A great way to see the city not being there.

In Lincoln Park

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9227...exMrVJ0MAw!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9225...-_2f618whw!2e0

in Lakeview
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9409...fPZuY4jGbg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9496...fzjOMh1Fww!2e0

This Hostel is near DePaul University in Lincoln Park it has dormitory beds beginning at like $25.00 a night to explore the area. Very nice area , Bars, access to the Elevated train to downtown and Clark/Broadway street bus to Downtown I preferred when I stayed there. Hostel on left with flags. Hostel is also couple blocks and park from Fullerton Beach and others.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9267...07ujVGRQng!2e0

Map of it
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...7048c084e9305f

Hostelworld sight Hostels in Chicago | Book Chicago Hostels with Hostelworld.com
List Getaway Hostel. The Wrigley Hostel is a few blocks further north. Others downtown listed here and some Northwest of Downtown not listed on this sight. Some pricing listed.

This is a picture over the Park Lincoln Park neighborhood is named from. The neighborhood is to the right of the Park and half the residential high-rises ahead toward downtown is actually in Lincoln Park.⤵

Over Lakeview neighborhood north of Lincoln Park. Wrigley Field Baseball Stadium on left. Lincoln Park is some blocks ahead, between Lakeview here and Downtown ⤵

By Fullerton Beach Just one by Lincoln Park To Downtown. Others larger ahead Picture I took year I stayed at Getaway Hostel. A couple block and distance of the park to beach area. ⤵

Last edited by steeps; 05-06-2015 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago