Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Detroit actually has an investment grade rating after its bankruptcy.
Ok, that means Chicago is dead last.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:20 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Ok, that means Chicago is dead last.
Detroit's last Moody bond rating update was to B3; Chicago's is Ba1. They both suck, but B3 is lower than Ba1.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
In case anyone doesn't know what a junk bond is, here is a nice, short explanation.

What does this mean for Chicago? It means that the city will pay a much higher interest rate on money that it borrows for various projects. Chicago has been using bonds to fund basic spending for years because leaders were afraid to raise taxes to levels that actually paid for the ridiculous levels of spending. It's like your dumba$$ friend who floated an expensive lifestyle on credit cards for years, but now can't get out of the mess because interest rates are at 30%.

Or perhaps more like your dumba$$ kid running up the credit card bill, but leaving you (the parent) with the bill. All taxpayers will pay for this, not the politicians who created the mess in the first place. Even people with nothing will pay in the form of fewer programs and services. But you know, keep supporting those striking teachers and public employees with built-in raises who won't take even a modest cut in pensions or benefits! I feel another CPS strike coming on...

Old 05-13-2015, 09:00 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Obviously we just need to get the Federal Reserve to start buying up Chicago bonds in addition to Treasuries and Agencies.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:22 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Obviously we just need to get the Federal Reserve to start buying up Chicago bonds in addition to Treasuries and Agencies.
And maybe Chicago can start printing it's own currency?

Old 05-13-2015, 10:37 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Not good news at all, but the Mayor's Office raised some good points, in my opinion.

Why was just Chicago downgraded this go around when the Supreme Court killed a statewide deal? Why was the state as a whole not downgraded? Also, why is Moody's rating vastly different than S&P's and Fitch's? S&P, which is roughly the same size as Moody's, has Chicago's rating at A+, and Fitch's rating is A-.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:43 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Believe who you want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Not good news at all, but the Mayor's Office raised some good points, in my opinion.

Why was just Chicago downgraded this go around when the Supreme Court killed a statewide deal? Why was the state as a whole not downgraded? Also, why is Moody's rating vastly different than S&P's and Fitch's? S&P, which is roughly the same size as Moody's, has Chicago's rating at A+, and Fitch's rating is A-.
The only thing that matters is that ANY of the ratings agencies have Chicago at junk -- http://www.sec.gov/investor/alerts/ib_creditratings.pdf

BTW: This is from well before the Mortgage Backed Security melt down -- http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/f.../200368pap.pdf Makes a whole lot of sense, but does not fit with Rahm's "theories"...

Old 05-13-2015, 11:36 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
And maybe Chicago can start printing it's own currency?
I'm wondering who will be featured on the $100 bill?....

The $2 bill will be dedicated to Blago, I'm sure..

"In Daley I/II We Trust"

Old 05-13-2015, 11:37 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
A better analogy of Chicago and Illinois would be if I cashed out my 401k early and maxed out all my credit cards to the tune of a million dollars or so buying luxury goods and a house that was hopelessly beyond my means and then marched over to my boss and said I need I raise or I'll go homeless and have no money for food or clothes.

Boss: Can't you budget and live within you means
Me: That's crazy talk.

Now here we are. Instead of paving roads or paying for nice services we are paying for lavish pensions for retired public sector employees and we have no recourse. However, for many people and businesses the solution is quite simple. Move out of Illinois and laugh your butt off at the train wreck.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:24 PM

62 posts, read 91,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
No, Keynes was not referring to municipal governments.
From federal, state, and local governments to consumer spending habits, Keynesian economic theory permeates every level of American society. Spending everything right now without thinking about tomorrow probably sounded like a great idea to a childless hedonist like Keynes, but Chicago is the inevitable end result when you apply that same line of thinking to the governance of a major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago