Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 03:18 AM

5 posts, read 5,247 times

Advertisements

This is a very specific question, but I read through a lot of the UIC-related threads here and it seems like you guys know your stuff about the CTA, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm a woman going to UIC in the Fall and staying in Single Student Residence (809 S. Damen Ave - close to 50 Damen & Ogden). I'm planning on going to some Blackhawks games at the UC and checking out some of the sports bars on Madison east of the UC. Out of curiosity, I tried to route the CTA back to SSR, and I realize that my no-walk route on the 50 (Damen and Adams to Damen and Ogden) disappears at 11pm. In fact, when I try to connect those two addresses after 11pm, the ONLY option it gives me is to walk 0.8 miles.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Unit...ago,+IL+60612/

Assuming that it would be unsafe for a woman to walk 0.8 miles down S. Damen Ave, how would I get back to SSR after a Hawks game and/or sports bar after 11pm? Is a cab or Uber the only option? If so, that's fine; I just have no familiarity with the city and wanted to know if I was missing anything.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: I know that the best answer is "travel with friends," but since I'm moving from out-of-state and won't have any instant connections, I'd like to know how to get from Point A to Point B safely alone.

Last edited by whiteoleander2; 05-14-2015 at 04:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
A cab or Uber (or Lyft) is your only "no-walk" option once the Damen bus stops running. It's not the worst idea to be walking around that area alone at night... but it's not the best either. The dearth of foot traffic around there except right before or after an event makes a lone stroller an easy target.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:23 AM

Do you know if there's a lot of foot traffic down Damen immediately after a UC event? That wouldn't help me if I were at a bar, obviously, but I assume traffic (and therefore a cab/Uber/Lyft) sucks after games, so it'd be nice to be able to walk back with a crowd. I'm from San Jose, so that's usually what I've done for Sharks games when the stream of people was headed in my direction, but I fully understand that Chicago is a much bigger city with different rules.

Related question... If I ended up in a scenario where I had to walk a couple of blocks at night for whatever reason, would ditching a purse at home and carrying my wallet/phone in my bra make me less of an obvious target, or is that unlikely to make a difference?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I think you'd have plenty of foot traffic with you -- down to the expressway where the Med Center Blue Line stop is. After that, you're probably on your own. But if it's right after a game lets out, chances are the bus is still running anyway.

Not having valuables visible makes you look like less of a target of opportunity. Just don't give away the game with headphones, which you probably shouldn't be wearing when you're walking alone in less-traveled areas anyway.

Regardless, I don't think that's a walk I'd be making by myself at night as a single female. I'd almost suggest riding a bike instead, but unless things have changed recently there's no bike lanes on that part of Damen and not even much shoulder space for one so on balance you're probably no safer than walking. I'd probably just ride on the sidewalk even though it's illegal, but who's gonna notice you on the sidewalk in the middle of the night anyway? Just be mindful of what few pedestrians you may encounter at night.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 AM

Would I be better off walking a couple blocks east (presumably with foot traffic?) to the Ashland/Madison stop and taking the 9 to Ashland/Taylor? That would put me on the corner of the campus and in range of the overnight Red Car service. I'm just trying to figure out how to not have to pay for a cab/Uber in post-game traffic, I guess. (UIC students must be accomplishing this somehow!)

(Assuming the 50 isn't running late to accommodate the game crowd.)

Last edited by whiteoleander2; 05-14-2015 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago