Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 PM

162 posts, read 155,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
yes... I guess the way you tell a New Yorker in Manhattan from a tourist is..... drum roll, please..... the New Yorker will be in high-fashion attire... the rest.... CAN ANYONE SAY.... ORDINARY AND MIDDLE-CLASS ....

Never said that. But considering New York is the fashion capital of the U.S. It's only logical that people dress better. More access to fashionable clothing and all. Also, being fashionable doesn't mean spending a lot of money.Calm down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:45 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Maybe, but I did notice a lot of Jeresy Shore types when I was there. You don't get that out here.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:53 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veretina View Post
Never said that. But considering New York is the fashion capital of the U.S. It's only logical that people dress better. More access to fashionable clothing and all. Also, being fashionable doesn't mean spending a lot of money.Calm down.
One of my favorite parts of fashion-watching in New York are the older people who wear long-out-of-fashion-but-once-avant-guard sorts of things. I don't think they're exactly old money, they're just people who made a lot of money in, say, the 1970s, bought fantastic clothes then and are still wearing them. I love that.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 PM

162 posts, read 155,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
One of my favorite parts of fashion-watching in New York are the older people who wear long-out-of-fashion-but-once-avant-guard sorts of things. I don't think they're exactly old money, they're just people who made a lot of money in, say, the 1970s, bought fantastic clothes then and are still wearing them. I love that.
A lot more diversity in the NYC fashion scene and thankfully less north face and uggs. Also the seventies are making a modern comeback. Those mid-low price clothes are probably worth tons now!

Old 06-12-2015, 03:01 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veretina View Post
Some Miami boosters want it to be Miami....... especially Miami Beach THEY DON'T CONCEAL IDENTITIES..... BUT WANT TO BE SEEN AS ALL CELEBRITIES.

Really though, with soooooo many tourist on the streets in Manhattan. But for locals in business attire and perhaps the high fashion very wealthy and celebrity types getting in and out of Taxis and Limos. I'm not sure they walk Times Square. Around Central Park High-End CONDO'S and Apt.'s and others yes. But I could see that in Lincoln Park Chicago and Gold Coast. Different city's and celebrity types.

More of everything in NYC. The thing is today..... It isn't Just NYC any more. Top restaurants those Dressed for a night out on the town ARE in other cities like Chicago, who has a considerable wealthy population itself.

More in Manhattan ... for sure. Michigan Ave Chicago may be High-End Shopping and nearby Boutiques. But the street is full of Middle-Class Tourist all the time.

Manhattan is STILL the International and TOP Living and Visiting Destination. But for International Jet-Set (that term still used .... ) Miami as a few boast on C-D gives Manhattan Fashion watchers some competition. Especially being seen.

Just my slanted 2-cents. For perspectives..... and not demeaning any city. But not letting Manhattan keep ALL the glory. Largest share yes. ...... NORTH FACE AND UGGS OH NO..... Chicago you are Labeled again. But at least there Term Trixies was not used.....

Old 06-16-2015, 08:24 AM

672 posts, read 757,439 times
I live in a coop in Manhattan. And it's my first choice for living anywhere in America.

My second, and last, choice is Chicago. I'd be living in London if those two options were off the table.

The reason I prefer Manhattan is that it's simply superbly designed and saturated in culture. It's a centre of greatness and generates tremendous artistic output. The grit and the smell are just part of the deal and don't bother me in the least.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:38 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
I live in a coop in Manhattan. And it's my first choice for living anywhere in America.

My second, and last, choice is Chicago. I'd be living in London if those two options were off the table.

The reason I prefer Manhattan is that it's simply superbly designed and saturated in culture. It's a centre of greatness and generates tremendous artistic output. The grit and the smell are just part of the deal and don't bother me in the least.
how many "artists" can even afford manhattan anymore? there probably statistically more in brooklyn or queens these days.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:52 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
how many "artists" can even afford manhattan anymore? there probably statistically more in brooklyn or queens these days.
Five. Five artists can afford to live in Manhattan now.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:45 PM

596 posts, read 820,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Five. Five artists can afford to live in Manhattan now.
And those five artists are the greatest artists in the world.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Well, it's true that it's likely not as interesting a place as it was. Manhattan, anyway. A lot of wonderful artists emerged there in the 70s.

It sort of raises the question as to what a city is without a little grit, when the prices have become so astronomical that the possibility of anything interesting organically evolving becomes moot. Once all the legitimate ethnic enclaves, artists lofts, seedy clubs, etc., are gone. In a way, places like that become caricatures of themselves.

But, I'm sure the burroughs still have a lot of more interesting places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago