Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I think we've already made it to a wealthy playland, just in certain parts of the city.
Given all the gentification in a lot of neighborhoods over the last 20 years, I call it San Francisco with bad weather and no hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 08:57 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Given all the gentification in a lot of neighborhoods over the last 20 years, I call it San Francisco with bad weather and no hills.
Yeah it's happening a little bit - fortunately for Chicago, it's a lot bigger than SF so if you don't make over 6 figures, you can still live in the city and not be forced to the suburbs if you don't want.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:27 AM

867 posts, read 1,371,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
So, we should rebuild the projects, then?

If not your neighborhood, where should the people who get Section 8 actually live?

Maybe the question to ask is, why aren't all neighborhoods sharing in section 8 equally? If I have a section 8 voucher, why am I limited to broke down apartments in broke down neighborhoods? Isn't the point of section 8 to stop the segregation of poverty?
There are people in Lincoln Park on section 8 as well as suburbs like Skokie. Some people just stay in familiar neighborhoods due to close family or familiarity.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:48 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
More population would definitely make paying off the pension obligations a lot easier.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
More population would definitely make paying off the pension obligations a lot easier.
The short answer is yes, but it's not the only answer. Let me ask you the same question I asked earlier. Would you rather have 2.6 million people with a median household income of $52K or would you rather have 2.7 million people with a median household income of $45K?

Old 05-23-2015, 07:29 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The short answer is yes, but it's not the only answer. Let me ask you the same question I asked earlier. Would you rather have 2.6 million people with a median household income of $52K or would you rather have 2.7 million people with a median household income of $45K?
Well, ideally you'd want to keep increasing the numbers of high income households while at the same time still holding onto the middle and lower income households.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Well, ideally you'd want to keep increasing the numbers of high income households while at the same time still holding onto the middle and lower income households.
Go back a page or two and check out the numbers I posted.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:57 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
So, we should rebuild the projects, then?

If not your neighborhood, where should the people who get Section 8 actually live?

Maybe the question to ask is, why aren't all neighborhoods sharing in section 8 equally? If I have a section 8 voucher, why am I limited to broke down apartments in broke down neighborhoods? Isn't the point of section 8 to stop the segregation of poverty?
Section 8 people have got a bad stigma attached. even though there might be some good Section 8'ers, the bad ones have messed up the reps of the good ones. Its reality, because of the bad ones, i dont think people want Section 8's in their neighborhood.

Where i am against it is in the areas where people are paying a lot for rent like in Streeterville, Section 8 is a bad use of funds to pay for an apartment there which may be $2,000 a month, if they require HUD to pay more just so someone can live in Streeterville, and then the other tenants are probably NOT happy that they are paying $2,000 a month while a section 8'er is paying $200 for the same thing.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:25 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
But that question is nonsensical, because, as previously shown in this thread, Chicago is losing middle class residents, not poor residents.

Obviously cities want more people and richer people. The population trends in Chicago don't favor greater wealth nor greater population.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:32 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Yes, there's no proof even though the official US Census numbers say otherwise. Knock yourself out: American FactFinder
No, the problem is that you refuse to accept the Census data. In fact, we already posted the Census data showing that Chicago is losing middle class, and not losing rich or poor. You keep rationalizing the Chicago population trends by falsely claiming that Chicago is only losing poor people.

There is zero in the Census numbers that indicates that the poor are leaving Chicago. If that were true, then the median income in Chicago would be an outlier compared to other cities. But it isn't. Chicago doesn't have a richer city proper than other major U.S. cities, Chicago doesn't have better income growth than other major U.S. cities, and the proportion of poor Chicago neighborhoods has grown over time, without interruption, since 1970, and the trend continues to this day.

Your whole theory is nonsensical, because expensive cities that attract the rich do not lose the poor. Places like SF, NYC, LA, Boston and DC are all much more expensive than Chicago, yet the poor aren't leaving, so your theory that the poor are all fleeing Chicago because a few downtown neighborhoods are somewhat pricey is an odd one, to be sure. It makes no sense, as the poor don't live in market-rate housing, and you even posted the Census data that confirms Chicago isn't an outlier, yet you still argue the opposite.

Even Manhattan isn't losing the poor. The idea that Chicago, a city that is frankly pretty cheap compared to most major cities, is losing poor because the city is "too expensive", is kind of an ridiculous claim, easily disproven through a look at the Census numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago