Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:47 PM

241 posts, read 464,062 times

Advertisements

Hello Chicago!

I'm sure some of you may have seen posts from me. I'll be moving to Chicago in the coming months from another part of the country and am trying to narrow down some neighborhoods. Of course I'll be looking in the typical neighborhoods for a young person, like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, River North/Gold Coast, Wicker Park, Bucktown, and those sorts of areas, but I'm trying to also explore areas that may give me more bang for my buck (I'd like to keep rent+potential parking expenses under 1200-1300, the lower the better, definitely don't mind a studio as long as its not so small that I can touch my fridge from my bed)

A little background: Work will require me to have a car, as I may have to commute to the suburbs. I say may because my specific work location could be anywhere and changes. I could get lucky and be on a years worth of assignments that are all right in the loop or I could be in the suburbs constantly. For this reason, I'm definitely considering areas close to the expressway, though its certainly not a necessity. I definitely want to be around other young people, as I'm a single 23 year old male, but I'm not really into the frat scene (kinda want to stay away from wrigglyville for that reason). I definitely like bars, but I don't need to be drunk every weekend and I'm definitely looking forward to ALL that the city has to offer, not just bars.

As I look on craigslist I see a lot of listings for Avondale and Logan Square (threw in Irving Park cause they're near each other). It seems like they are a little bigger for the price. I'm wondering if you guys can tell me what you think of these neighborhoods for a young to mid twenties guy. Obviously safety is a concern as well as nightlife, restaurants, coffee shops, walkability, etc. I'm definitely open to living in neighborhoods other than Lincoln Park, but I want those areas fairly easily accessible, and I don't want to sacrifice the "Chicago experience" just to save some money. I spent some time living in Ravenswood/Lincoln Square over the summer and my area wasn't great/fun, and no matter where I wanted to go I seemed to be a 45 minute to an hour trek (had about a 15 minute train ride just to get to the brown line) so I dont want to be in that boat again.

I'm also open to any other neighborhood suggestions! Wicker Park, Bucktown, or Lincoln Park are still at the top of my list but I'm open to learning about other areas, even if its just for the sake of learning the city. I'd like River North or Gold Coast too but those are almost certainly out of my price range.

Thanks everyone for the help with this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,800,235 times
If you want a post-collegiate party scene, you're not going to find it in any of these neighborhoods, with the possible exception of a smattering of sports bars in the NE corner of Irving Park. But that's the part that isn't particularly near the expressway anyway.

Logan Square has more of a laid-back -- dare I use the hackneyed term "hipster" -- nightlife scene that appeals to a mid-20s to maybe early 30s crowd developing along the Milwaukee Avenue corridor. Avondale is starting to come into its own for nightlife but it's still lagging behind Logan Square in this regard.

I moved to Irving Park some 10 years ago precisely because there was virtually nothing in the way of nightlife to distract me while I was in grad school. 10 years later, not much has changed in that regard. That said, there are some really cool restaurants scattered around the neighborhood and even a couple of small theater groups (plus another just a couple blocks down the street in Avondale). There are a couple neighborhood bars I like to hit, but one of their better qualities in my eyes is that they aren't crowded and I can always get my elbow room. I suspect that's exactly what you're not looking for.

I still have no regrets about living here. If I need to get to one of the busier nightlife areas, I can typically get there by car or by UberLyft in 10 to 20 minutes max (depending on neighborhood), and that includes waiting on the driver to get here. And my rent is probably a solid $300/mo cheaper than what i'd pay for the same unit in Logan Square. Well worth the trade-off if you ask me, especially when you consider that a) you're well-positioned for highway access, and b) your friends will often want to meet up at some place in some other neighborhood, so much of your nightlife experience is going to happen outside of your own neighborhood no matter where you live. It costs me less to live in Irving Park today than it did to live in Andersonville 15 years ago. You'll probably still find similar bargains in Avondale, but who knows for how long.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:04 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,787,911 times
Out of the three, your most luck will be Logan Square specifically near the California or Logan Square blue line stops. Near the California stop there's been a large handful of bars open in the last year or so (along with the ones that were already there), so I'd say it's your best bet. Two new high rises are going to be built near there two, probably starting in the next 4 months, so you better bet in a few years there will be even more people and things there. Near the other stop is more laid back. Both on average have more of a hipster vibe, but that's not all who hangs out there. And if nothing else, it gets you closer to an area like Wicker Park than the other two areas.

Anyway, look near those two blue line stops if you want it closer - your best bet IMO. As Drover said though, you can live in another area along the Blue Line if you don't mind stepping on the train to get to what you want either.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:51 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,806,258 times
All great neighborhoods, Logan Square has the most going on, then Avondale then Irving Park. With Logan Square and Avondale, there is enough nightlife to keep you entertained (albeit laid back nightlife) but the nice thing is with Logan Square and Avondale you are literally a 5-10 minute cab ride from Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Bucktown and Wicker Park. Irving Park has it's bars too but you won't be as close to the other nightlife hot spots.

Logan Square I would suggest stay east of Central Park. Avondale I would say stay east of Kimball. Irving Park is a little more difficult, it's more of a mixed bag. The western and eastern parts of Irving Park are nice the central part is so so. If you pick Irving Park I would stay on the western side near the blue line. The eastern part of Irving Park has the most going on, but is not that convenient, as it's not super close to the expressway or the Blue Line (not super far either), and traffic on Irving Park is hell. Literally one of the most congested streets IMO.

I think Logan Square is the best bet for you, but it's also the most expensive and it only going to get more expensive. Avondale is significantly smaller than Logan Square and Irving Park. Logan Square has quite a few cool spots. Milwaukee between California and Fullerton probably has the most going on in regards to nightlife in Logan Square, but pretty much Milwaukee between California and Diversey has PLENTY to keep you entertained in regards to dining, bars, and shopping. In Avondale, the area between Belmont and Sacramento to Belmont and California has the most going on. Then you have some pretty cool restaurants and bars scattered along Elston and California (ie The Orbit Room, N, Honey Butter Fried Chicken, Parachute, Chief O'Neils). For Irving Park the the area between Irving Park and Kedzie and Irving Park and California has the most going on in regards to bars and dining. Not much shopping to be had in Irving Park.

IMO I think Avondale is the most livable, it's the least congested, probably the cheapest one and very convenient. You are closer to Lakeview than Logan Square is, and close to Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, and Bucktown. In Avondale you have everything you need right smack dab in the center of the neighborhood, especially for the shopping center area (I am talking about Target, Jewel, Home Depot, CVS, the Blue Line, etc.). It's still very walkable, but having a car there isn't complicated. The main shopping center in Logan Square (by Elston and Logan Blvd.) is a pain in the ass. Very congested and crowded. Also having a car in Logan Square can get complicated. Irving Park, the central and eastern part I am not a fan of. Nothing particularly bad about it, it's just Irving Park Rd., traffic is HORRENDOUS and it's not as convenient. It's not as walkable as the other two neighborhoods, unless you live in the far west part of the neighborhood. The further east you go the further away you get from conveniences like the Blue Line and Expressway and will have to go through the nasty traffic of Irving Park.

If things to do at your doorstep is priority to you, Logan Square it is. If convenience is your priority but with a sprinkle of things to do at your doorstep, Avondale is your choice. Irving Park lacks some of the convenience, and has less to do. Irving Park has a very different vibe, more family and residential than the other two.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:17 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,961,883 times
HOW on earth would you need to take a 15 minute train ride to get to the brown line if you were living in Ravenswood/Lincoln Square??!! It's all walkable to the brown line in that neighborhood. Which intersection were you at? If you didn't like that neighborhood, I can't imagine you'd like Irving Park or Avondale for anything other than closer proximity to the Kennedy.

Also, would you out of towners PLEASE start spelling Wrigleyville correctly?!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
HOW on earth would you need to take a 15 minute train ride to get to the brown line if you were living in Ravenswood/Lincoln Square??!! It's all walkable to the brown line in that neighborhood. Which intersection were you at? If you didn't like that neighborhood, I can't imagine you'd like Irving Park or Avondale for anything other than closer proximity to the Kennedy.

You did bring up a good point. While Irving Park and Avondale are a lot more conveniently located, if you thought Lincoln Square was boring, you probably won't like Irving Park or Avondale. But then again it depends what you didn't like. Lincoln Square is very very family oriented, like watered down version of Roscoe Village, so I can see it from that angle. In Logan Square and Avondale, to a lesser extent Irving Park, you have more of a young singles type of crowd.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 AM

241 posts, read 464,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post

I just for fun checked google maps to make sure I wasn't wrong, and I guess I was exaggerating slightly. Ten minute bus ride to the brown line station (not including waiting which I guess would make it 15 total like i thought). Total commute time to various locations in Lincoln park were no less than 40-45 mins and downtown was 50 to an hour. This is certainly in line with my real world experience of where I lived because anywhere I went it would take me a considerable amount of time. Terribly sorry about misspelling Wrigleyville. Won't happen again.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
I just for fun checked google maps to make sure I wasn't wrong, and I guess I was exaggerating slightly. Ten minute bus ride to the brown line station (not including waiting which I guess would make it 15 total like i thought). Total commute time to various locations in Lincoln park were no less than 40-45 mins and downtown was 50 to an hour. This is certainly in line with my real world experience of where I lived because anywhere I went it would take me a considerable amount of time. Terribly sorry about misspelling Wrigleyville. Won't happen again.
I will say this, get used to places not that far away taking a while to get to in Chicago due to traffic. It's not horrible, but it is something you have to deal with. It's the way the cookie crumbles. I currently live in Portage Park and I work in Wicker Park, literally only about 3 neighborhoods over. It takes me 40-50 minutes to get there. When I go there really early in the morning or late in the evening? 10 minutes, tops 15 minutes. Chicago is a big city and traffic can be a *****. It's not the worst for traffic, but if your main complaint is getting from A to B takes too long cause of congestion and what not, Chicago might not be for you.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:43 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,069,487 times
Move to Irving it Avondale and get a bike. A 10 minute bus ride (plus waiting) is a 3-4 minute bike ride (no waiting).

The city (north side at least) becomes a whole lot more convenient this way, particularly in neighborhoods like you're looking at, where things are a bit more spread out.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:20 AM

216 posts, read 311,942 times
I tend to think of Irving, Avondale and Logan as one big "super neighborhood" because they are somewhat similar in character and closely linked by multiple arteries. It's easy to get from one to the others via the Milwaukee Ave bus, Blue Line, or expressway. I would classify all of them as "safe" neighborhoods, but you still gotta have good situational awareness wherever you go in the city. I honestly would live in any of these three neighborhoods where I could find a good deal on rent, and just bike or bus around as needed.

Avondale – I live here. It's in the beginning stages of gentrification and I see more White hipsters walking around every month. However the neighborhood is still mostly working-class Mexican, with a few pockets of Polish stuff here and there. Very good Mexican and Polish food, not much in the way of coffee shops. There are only a few nightlife spots around, but it's easy to head down Milwaukee to Logan or take the 77 bus to Lakeview If you want to party.

Logan – more solidly gentrified, and hence more expensive. When I was house shopping I couldn’t really find a good deal there. Fun nightlife and a good selection of coffee shops though, especially along Milwaukee. Has a good mix of restaurants, from hole in the wall Mexican joints to more "contemporary" restaurants and cocktail bars.

Irving Park – I know the least about this one but it strikes me as being pretty similar to Lincoln Square. If you thought Lincoln Square was dull than you won’t like Irving Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago