Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Well, except that the Logan Square gentrification wave has heretofore mostly overlooked much of the neighborhood adjacent to the trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yep, the usual crowd was already complaining about "gentrification" before the trail even opened.

"Wah! Our neighborhood is benefiting from a massive public works project! WAAAAHHH!!"

Shaddap.
It's a no win. If you don't do improvements, certain people complain that it's not equal investment to nicer neighborhoods. If you do improvements, other people complain that it is encouraging gentrification.

Uptown was the worst for this. Any new streetscaping or efforts to pick up garbage were considered bourgeois attempts to roll out the red carpet for yuppy gentrification. The only "acceptable" improvements were garish "community art projects" like murals showing smiling faces of minority children or civil rights leaders. Meanwhile the gutters flowed with urine and feces and the neighborhood crumbled.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:10 PM

605 posts, read 711,667 times
We just moved to Florida from Chicago, and cannot get over the quality of the bike trails here as compared to home. The trail right near our home here in Florida has built in bicycle pumps, TOOLS to fix your bike!, dog poop bag stations and tons of benches and garbage cans. I read there's even a shower somewhere along the trail, but I haven't seen that for myself yet. And they run for loooong stretches (not 2.7 miles - that would only take about 15 minutes to do on a bike). And the taxes here are much, MUCH lower. We wonder how they manage to have such wonderful amenities here with such low property taxes.

Not to knock the development in Chicago - glad you all are liking the new trail. But it doesn't compare to what some other cities are doing.

[/url][/IMG]

Directions for fixing your bike:

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

Last edited by Bellamouse; 06-08-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 01:15 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
And they run for loooong stretches (not 2.7 miles - that would only take about 15 minutes to do on a bike).
the Grand Illinois Trail is 575 miles
Grand Illinois Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the Prarie Path alone is 60 miles
http://www.ipp.org/
Whats your point exactly? Youre comparing apples and oranges.

the 606 isnt a "bike trail", although bikes can use it. Its an urban multi-use park built on a disused freight line.

Last edited by via chicago; 06-08-2015 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 01:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
the Grand Illinois Trail is 575 miles
Grand Illinois Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the Prarie Path alone is 60 miles
Illinois Prairie Path - Founded in 1963
Whats your point exactly? Youre comparing apples and oranges.

the 606 isnt a "bike trail", although bikes can use it. Its an urban multi-use park built on a disused freight line.
Yeah - apples and oranges. The bike repair stuff is pretty new. I grew up in a city with miles upon miles of bike paths and at least when I grew up was highly rated in the US for it. Never once saw bike repair station. I actually know of a bike repair station on Milwaukee Ave in Chicago though it's not on a trail or anything.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:44 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Actual new bike trail:

Map | Friends of the Cal-Sag Trail

Soon to come:

North Branch Trail Southern Extension - Forest Preserves of Cook County

Old 06-08-2015, 01:52 PM

Most all trails are built on disused freight lines, including the one near our current home. I am just pointing out that I think the City could do a better job even in making things NICE for the people who live in the community.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:56 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
I am just pointing out that I think the City could do a better job even in making things NICE for the people who live in the community.
Um, you are posting in a thread about a new 100 million dollar community amenity. And all you can do is complain about its shortcomings, despite having removed yourself from the community.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:56 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
Don't worry, it's very nice.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Um, you are posting in a thread about a new 100 million dollar community amenity. And all you can do is complain about its shortcomings, despite having removed yourself from the community anyway. Are dog poop bag dispensers the holy grail for you?
I didn't complain about anything. Perhaps you missed the part where I said specifically, "Not to knock the development in Chicago..." But having JUST left a few weeks ago, and just arrived here a few weeks ago, the contrast is stark. We lived near the path at Nagle/Devon for 20 years and used it extensively. We just couldn't get over the difference in the way they do things here vs back home. I am just saying that considering the kind of taxes Chicago charges, the amenities should be up to par with what other cities are doing.

Please, enjoy your new park (and I agree that it is nice, and a heck of lot better than what was there before, which was nothing). But I think you all should be demanding better for the money you pay (and that I am currently still paying as well until my home there is sold).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago