U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,454,631 times

Advertisements

I just saw this story today in the Sun Times. Another Chicago cop caught beating the crap out of a citizen. This guy was hancuffed and shackled to a wheelchair and this cop still gave him a beat down.

When are these morons going to learn that there are cameras EVERYWHERE!

Another example of Chicago's finest serving the public.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 PM

204 posts, read 703,434 times
This happened over two years ago. The guy got 125,000 so I dont know why they are talking about it now. More people want a pay day. Its a joke

Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 PM

15,587 posts, read 24,676,128 times
I like how the newspapers and TV stations are playing it off like it just happened. Like Scottl333 said it was over two years ago. I am not saying what happened was justified, but...

Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 PM

61,305 posts, read 80,099,671 times
sorry that happened.
anybody ever take pictures of the bad guys hurting people and showem?
unfortunately the cops are not the only people in chicago that
beat people up in wheelchairs.
rough town to cop in.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,236,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
Of course they're not, but if they don't set a decent example of what a "good guy" is supposed to be, what chance do we have? I was taught to respect cops, but it's pretty hard to do that when you see them beating the crap out a guy who is a. drunk, b. no longer struggling and c. handcuffed to a f***ing wheelchair!!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:05 AM

11,973 posts, read 29,071,727 times
I'm generally supportive of the police and am thankful for their hard work and sacrifices for the people of Chicago. But MAN do they need to clean out that department! I hope this new police chief cracks the whip and weeds out the bad apples because they make the rest of the hard working cops look really really bad. The CPD needs an enema.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 AM

11,973 posts, read 29,071,727 times
Quote:
sorry that happened.
rough town to cop in.
Yeah, people are starting to take pictures of the "bad guys". There are now a lot of blogs posting pictures of drug dealers and other criminal elements in Chicago. I think it's a good thing.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:52 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,454,631 times
Trust me....I'd love to take a night stick to the head of every drug dealer, gang banger, purse snatcher, graffitti artist, shop lifter, etc., etc.... If I were a cop, I'd probably lose my cool and give these guys a whuppin to. But, when it's widely publicized (and agreed upon) that your city has one of the most corrupt governments, including a rogue police force, it's just stupid to think you can get away with this, especially in someplace that might have security cameras.

I know there are some good cops, but I've also met plenty who have the "I couldn't give a sh*t" attitude. They're out there working, but certainly aren't going to put themselves in harms way. There are also many cops on the take and making some nice extra coin protecting drug dealers turf, shaking down immigrants, getting free meals for 'checking in' on a restaurant, etc.

Again, I know there are some good cops, but that department really does need a house cleaning.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 PM

313 posts, read 641,162 times
Quote:
sorry that happened.
rough town to cop in.
True at least the cops have to answer to someone if we did not have cops the gangs would takeover and they don't answer to anyone!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM

211 posts, read 354,513 times
These matters are not resolved, sometimes for years.

The issue is before the public at the present time, because a serious line has been crossed and the public should be aware of it. The Chicago cop who beat the helpless, drunk, wheelchair bound man, was not fired, although he was CONVICTED of battery. He was given a two year suspension, which is almost complete. So, (maybe) he will be back on the job.

This entire scenario is absurd to the point of being laughable. Prior to the advent of so many cameras, it was always the cop's word against the citizen. The cops always got the benefit of ANY doubt.

Now, we have a scenario where there is prima facie evidence of guilt, via the cameras. But, there is a catch. The City of Chicago Police Board is creating a situation where a Chicago Police Officer can now be convicted of a crime (battery) and still keep his job.

HOW FAR WILL THE CHICAGO POLICE BOARD GO? Where will the line be drawn on the offenses for which a cop can get convicted, get a suspension, and stay on the job?

Reference the case under discussion, the cop was convicted of "misdemeanor battery". What is to become of Chicago City workers who get convicted of "misdemeanor theft" like "misdemeanor shoplifting"? In years past ALL those convictions where automatic terminations from city employment. But, now that the cameras are catching cops LEFT AND RIGHT, the city is getting "crazy". The City of Chicago wants to pay the lawsuits for the errant, convicted cops, despite prima facie evidence of guilt, and KEEP THEM EMPLOYED.

The City of Chicago is involved in some very questionable things, to put is mildly. What happened to the Chicago Police woman who was assigned to conduct a death investigation on North Sheridan Road? She went to the apartment, found the woman dead, then proceded to steal the dead woman's stuff. Did she get fired? Perhaps not--That's "just" misdemeanor theft.

LIFE IN THE WINDY CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I like how the newspapers and TV stations are playing it off like it just happened. Like Scottl333 said it was over two years ago. I am not saying what happened was justified, but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago