Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:29 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibs View Post
Chicago's downtown and north side are prospering while the west side and south side are in decline. Chicago is described as "one third San Francisco, two thirds Detroit." Will Chicago's west side become safer in 2020? LA and NYC were very dangerous cities in the 90s but they have cleaned house and become safer. What's holding Chicago back from doing the same even with the very strict gun laws?
I've never heard that saying before -- "one third San Francisco, two thirds Detroit" but I think it's beyond ridiculous in its generalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Who said anything about NY? And to think this board will vehemently deny the existence of an inferiority complex anytime it's mentioned. FOH....
Yea, Chicago has an inferiority complex because of a comment from someone who has never lived in or near Chicago.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:12 AM

636 posts, read 610,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yea, Chicago has an inferiority complex because of a comment from someone who has never lived in or near Chicago.
It has an inferiority complex because of its insecurity and constant need to compare and/or defend itself against any perceived criticism, especially when NY is a point of comparison. Thanks for exemplifying this insecurity. I mean really, god forbid anyone should post an opinion on the innanet disagreeable to Chi boosterism.

I like it here but this kind of ish drives me crazy. If you really didn't have any complex, you wouldn't feel the need to respond anytime someone asserts otherwise.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:14 AM

OK, that makes great sense.

"See? Someone who doesn't even live in Chicago and never has said something about New York, therefore Chicago has a complex."

"No it doesn't."

"SEE?!?! That's what I mean! COMPLEX!"

Nice no-win setup you've created there where we we either have to agree that Chicago has a complex, or if we don't agree it means Chicago has a complex. GTFO.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:34 AM

636 posts, read 610,842 times
WTF are you talking about? Dude specifically referenced NY in his post, and he technically didn't even deny Chi has a complex. He just redirected at NY. And I'm basing my opinion on a broader spectrum of empirical observation since being here - I don't need to base my opinion on a single post. As it happens, plenty of posters exhibit some form of complex here pretty frequently.

Virtually every post of yours I've seen is you defending Chi from some perceived attack. Again, if you're really so confident in your own perception of the city, you'd let it slide. But you can't.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:21 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Chicago does have a bit of a complex re. NYC. This is obvious to anyone who has lived in Chicago, and not really worth debating. You even see it in this thread. Chicago is still a great city, though.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Chicago does have a bit of a complex re. NYC. This is obvious to anyone who has lived in Chicago, and not really worth debating. You even see it in this thread. Chicago is still a great city, though.
Where?

Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,277,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
It has an inferiority complex because of its insecurity and constant need to compare and/or defend itself against any perceived criticism, especially when NY is a point of comparison. Thanks for exemplifying this insecurity. I mean really, god forbid anyone should post an opinion on the innanet disagreeable to Chi boosterism.

I like it here but this kind of ish drives me crazy. If you really didn't have any complex, you wouldn't feel the need to respond anytime someone asserts otherwise.
Isn't the Cities side of C-D about Comparing and Acknowledgement of attributes your city has with others? Then DEFEND if they deny it? But if you believe you are right. Sure it is ok to DEFEND? Defending is not Boasting. It is disagreeing and stating why. If its about your favorite or home city. It is what is done on C-D city vs city threads especially.

But CHICAGOANS on the Chicago forums here. STARTED NO THREADS TO PURELY BOAST FOR THEIR CITY. NONE. Some once created a thread "Chicago as a mini NYC" WOW did New Yorkers feel HOW DARE YOU.... You want to see FORUMS started for PURE BOASTING.... check out the Toronto forums.

I lived in Chicago in the 80s. Still when Pride was low for their Downtown. Seeing it as having declined along with many neighborhoods. But today FAR MORE have PRIDE in their city and ESPECIALLY DOWNTOWN Then ever. 10s of thousands of NEW RESIDENTS MOVING INTI CHICAGO'S DOWNTOWN. Proves its comeback. Gentrified neighborhoods add to Pride despite displacements.

You see all defense as Boast? Sorry I disagree. Its about Pride too. So many in C-D threads lessen Chicago especially vs. NYC. Everything from its HIGH-END SKYSCRAPER LIVING TO MANHATTANS TO ITS GREYSTONE/BROWNSTONE comparisons to even Brooklyn. SOME OF THEM POST EVEN HERE.

IT IS SHE... I MEAN THEM WHO THEN CLAIM HERE WE BOAST... AS IF WE SHOULD LET THEM Say Chicago is not in any way COMPARABLE ....to even NYC in any and every way in threads daily. THEY CAN STIR THREADS WHEN THEY SAY THINGS. That lessen Chicago here. DEFENSE MODE IS THE RESULT.

Some locals as yourself PROVE IT IS NOT ALL WHO BOAST LOL.

Last edited by steeps; 06-25-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 05:35 PM

68 posts, read 56,939 times
Chicagoans are very boosterish. When I lived there (95-2004) it was much, much worse, though. I imagine the generation right before me (the John Hughes /Michael Jordan generation) were even bigger boosters. That was when Chicago was still at the forefront of american consciousness.

Nowadays you find just as many Chicagoans who wish they lived somewhere else.

In 2020 Chicago will mostly be like Chicago in 2015.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:52 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,150 times
The Cubs will still be looking for a title
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago