Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

one (of many) things i love about Lou's: for a placed famed for its deep dish pizza, they make a fabulous and uniquely flavored thin pizza that i love.

anyone who just gets the deep dish and never tries the thin is missing a real treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
one (of many) things i love about Lou's: for a placed famed for its deep dish pizza, they make a fabulous and uniquely flavored thin pizza that i love.

anyone who just gets the deep dish and never tries the thin is missing a real treat.
Yeah, both are awesome. I think Lou's is my favorite pizza.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:33 AM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
I know it's not the same as eating a fresh one at the restaurant but I love sending those frozen pizza gift packages from Lou's. A great way to send some love from the Windy City!

Old 06-18-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I know it's not the same as eating a fresh one at the restaurant but I love sending those frozen pizza gift packages from Lou's. A great way to send some love from the Windy City!
heading to SF in a couple of days and staying with some friends. What do you bring? I went with a Lou's-to-Go gift card. My friends really enjoyed Lou's when visiting Chicago. Can't think of a better thing to bring with me.

Lou's packages with other Chicago food providers in "Tastes of Chicago"; they have a brochure that includes all the offerings: Lou's, Vienna, Portillo's, Manny's, Garrets, Real Urban BBQ (switched from Carsons), Long Grove Confectionary, Eli's, Bob Chin's (among others).

Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 AM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
heading to SF in a couple of days and staying with some friends. What do you bring? I went with a Lou's-to-Go gift card. My friends really enjoyed Lou's when visiting Chicago. Can't think of a better thing to bring with me.

Lou's packages with other Chicago food providers in "Tastes of Chicago"; they have a brochure that includes all the offerings: Lou's, Vienna, Portillo's, Manny's, Garrets, Real Urban BBQ (switched from Carsons), Long Grove Confectionary, Eli's, Bob Chin's (among others).
Don't forget to bring a bottle of Malort with you.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:

While I agree that Chicago has all kinds of very worldly restaurants and terrific chefs, the fact is there is LONG TRADITION of Chicago having some unique food offerings that are both WELL LOVED by locals and so well known AROUND THE WORLD that MANY firms have a healthy business shipping our treats to other foodies. This is so well known even episodes of MASH featured such exploits -- "M*A*S*H" Adam's Ribs (TV Episode 1974) - Quotes - IMDb

Look, I get that the whole "Super Fan" stereotype can be over-played and create an image of city that is EXCLUSIVELY filled with beer swilling, sausage swallowing beasts, but I guarantee that the MAJORITY of people in Chicago really and truly can attest to having not just sampled a deep-dish pizza but actually have a favorite spot and will happily tell you why their favorite spot beats out others. I suspect that is also true of locals in Maine or other East Coast spots debating "lobster rolls", various Texas brisket joints, or regional pulled pork in the South.

There is no reason to deny reality nor denigrate the long history of Chicago's uniquely delicious foods. The push by some effete types to promote the "wide range of cuisines" can easily go too far and I fear that idiotic efforts to showcase the "everything is wonderful" mindset quickly devolves into the "Disneyfication" of places. Believe me, the slippery slope from saying "Chicago has the best pad thai/cassoulte/pho/kalbi/whatever" to ending up with CRAP FOOD like you get at a theme park ought to be a real concern...

Old 06-18-2015, 10:09 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
but I guarantee that the MAJORITY of people in Chicago really and truly can attest to having not just sampled a deep-dish pizza but actually have a favorite spot and will happily tell you why their favorite spot beats out others. I suspect that is also true of locals in Maine or other East Coast spots debating "lobster rolls", various Texas brisket joints, or regional pulled pork in the South.
I never meant it that way. I meant that most people are not eating pizza, hot dogs, and italian beef every other day or even every week (though some definitely do, that's for sure). I was responding to the stereotype - the OP stated that he felt like if he lived in Chicago, he would gain weight and the food is heavy. My point was that there's a ton more than just the stereotypical foods and many residents, even with that food available, are eating more than just what the stereotype is.

And yes, I like deep dish and have it a few times a year. If anybody asks and wants to stay downtown, I always send them to Lou Malnati's. I'd eat it more if it wasn't so damn heavy.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:42 PM

410 posts, read 491,629 times
Gonna make "deep dish" for my family tomorrow night washing it down with a couple of beers. Carb loading diet. Don't judge.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe not so much Edwardo's -- they're down to three locations. Too bad, they were my second-favorite favorite of the regional big hitters behind Nancy's.
Yeah, what's going on with them? I used to work as a "phone girl" at the Edwardo's on Dearborn as a teenager. They were going strong then and "Eddie" along with his mom were in there all of the time. Did they get bought out? Lou Malnati's is also my favorite.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Yeah, what's going on with them? I used to work as a "phone girl" at the Edwardo's on Dearborn as a teenager. They were going strong then and "Eddie" along with his mom were in there all of the time. Did they get bought out? Lou Malnati's is also my favorite.
i always thought edwardo's was much more about stuffed than deep dish and also distinguished itself from other places with its spinach pizza being its real speciality.

i knew they shrunk to very few, but didn't know it was three….do they still maintain their Milw location?

to me, only one pizza place serves the original style deep dish the way it was done from the start from back in the "old days" when deep dish pizza was the province of 3 near north side restaurants: uno's, due's, and gino's (on rush)….and that place would be lou's.

and what makes lou's so special is that they alone out of that group can offer the same original Chgo deep dish in all their many city and suburban locations…no franchising and all restaurants in the Chicago area. Uno's and Due's, of course, are company owned and not the same as their Uno's Pizza & Grill franchised division which IMHO serve up a pretty awful pizza.

Lou's…to me….is the king of the hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago