Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:04 PM

18 posts, read 19,489 times

Advertisements

Move to Wrigleyville/Lakeview/Andersonville!

Cubs just swept the Mets there not too long ago... Symbolic of your change from NYC to Chicago : )

Close to the blue line...

Tons of restaurants, night life, etc.. I like Dimo's on Clark, the Vietnamese place near 'The Alley', yadda yadda...

Not too far from 'Boys Town' thus you will always be reminded of 'Queens' ;;; )

It's a tall white guy Mecca over here are you kiddin???

I'm not even selling anything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 12:15 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
For some reason the posters on this forum tend to recommend second tier neighborhoods. They are very anti trendy, fratty, party, sportsbarsy, young professional areas, which is where almost all out of college want to live. I don't know why anyone would suggest edge water. Please don't listen to this advice. Edgewater is know to be a LGBT area and an even lesser version of boys town. And uptown is not a desirable neighborhood. About 7 years ago people thought it would be gentrified and the next bucktown, but that didn't happen.

OP. You're going to want to stay south of irving park road and east of Ashland when you're looking. Stick to that and you can't go wrong.
i moved to edgewater when i was 25. yes, im anti fratty/sportbarsy, i find that scene tiresome and juvenile. thats why i moved there. that dosent mean its a "second tier" neighborhood as you so slyly put it. yes, its LBGT friendly. so what? im a straight dude and have never felt out of place. there just as many people from every other walk of life. in my building alone is a sweet Mexican family with a young daughter, a young single african american woman, a single straight guy, a single gay guy, and a single white girl. my next door neighbors are a couple in their 50's. the building across the street is heavily pakistani. i think that microcosm perfectly encapsulates the neighborhood.

the OP said he was going to a Queens type feel, with cheap ethnic food and a diverse makeup. if he used that as a reference point and not Manhattan or Brooklyn, I think its safe to say that was deliberate.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:24 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,052,966 times
OP: Moving to Chicago and Clueless

That's OK, most of the folks that live there are clueless too !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago