Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 03:05 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Bunyan View Post
The June weather is not much different than the past 5 years. It was colder last summer, and also in 2013.
The position of the jet stream has more to do with cooler temps than El Niño.
This is not true. Last summer was pretty cool, but not this rainy or overcast not even close. The summers of 2013 and 2012 were very normal. If anything I remember the summer of 2012 we had a drought for the first half of the year and it was really hot. I remember because when I went to Great America in late June it was in about 100 degrees (as it had been that week) and all the grass was very yellow due to lack of rain.

So last year's summer yes was just as cold if not as cold. But the two before that you are off. They were pretty normal and if not much warmer than normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 03:32 PM

68 posts, read 56,964 times
2013 the average temp in June was 68 degrees, colder than 2014

A Cool, Cool Summer: Below-Average Temps Expected to Continue Through Fall - Wicker Park - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Old 06-26-2015, 04:18 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
This is not true. Last summer was pretty cool, but not this rainy or overcast not even close. The summers of 2013 and 2012 were very normal. If anything I remember the summer of 2012 we had a drought for the first half of the year and it was really hot. I remember because when I went to Great America in late June it was in about 100 degrees (as it had been that week) and all the grass was very yellow due to lack of rain.

So last year's summer yes was just as cold if not as cold. But the two before that you are off. They were pretty normal and if not much warmer than normal.
This is the strangest summer I can remember. Not because of the temperature, but because of all the rain, gloominess, and overcast. It really doesn't seem like summer. It would actually be a great summer if the temperature was how it is, but with actual sunshine. Also, it seems like when there actually is a nice, sunny day, it's on a Tuesday or Wednesday; rarely seems like it's on the weekend.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:45 AM

955 posts, read 1,831,897 times
This June is not the first that has been dreary and on the chilly side, but it always stings because we have such a small window of genuine summer. True summer in Chicago is a little like three months of Mardi Gras. The city seems to explode with activity and recreation.

Sadly, we have lost much of June already so that means we have to make it up by getting the most out of every last inch of the season we have left. Id like to borrow about two months of that California drought right now.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:33 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Cloudiest June in history.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Cloudiest June in history.
I'm sure there was at least one June when the asteroid hit and killed off the dinosaurs that was at least marginally cloudier.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:19 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
I was reading that this is the fifth wettest June in Illinois ever...and that 10 of the 20 wettest Junes have been since 2000. Sounds like a pretty strong trend to me!

https://climateillinois.wordpress.co...-for-illinois/

This even more recent data says it's the SECOND wettest June:

https://climateillinois.wordpress.com/

Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
El Niño and La Niña in Illinois, Illinois State Climatologist Office, Illinois State Water Survey, U of I

For Chicago....

Summary of Impacts of El Niño
El Niño events vary in size, intensity, and duration. As a result, the impacts can vary from one event to the next. In addition, there may be other factors that influence our weather during these events.

Summers tend to be slightly cooler and wetter than average
Falls tend to be wetter and cooler than average
Winters tend to be warmer and drier
Springs tend to be drier than average
Snowfall tends to be 70 to 90 percent of average
Heating degree days tend to be 80 to 90 percent of average. Lower heating degree days mean lower heating bills.
Tends to reduce tornado activity in the High Plains and Midwest and increases it in the South.
The IMPACTS depend on how strong the El Nino is going into the late Fall into Winter. Winter temperatures in the Midwest are not completely reliant on one weather factor. The weather pattern during Winter is also impacted by items such as the Pacific North American pattern (PNA), the Arctic Oscillation (AO) and the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO).

Old 06-27-2015, 05:14 PM

16 posts, read 14,651 times
This is definitely one of the coldest Junes I've ever experienced. One of the wettest too. I fear that we'll have a virtually nonexistent summer like last year when people were wearing hoodies in July. Are highs that are consistently above 75 degrees too much to ask for in late June? Can it not rain for over half the week?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:21 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Kansas City has been rainy but hot. It's either been thunderstorms and heavy rain or 95 degree humid days. We just had a nice weekend finally with temps in the 80s and low humidity but going right back to stormy and muggy all next week. So, it could be worse, just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago