Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:12 AM

25 posts, read 20,356 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I am a 22 year old male who has just recently accepted a job Downtown in Chicago, about 2 blocks from Sears Tower.

My budget is about 800-1100 a month rent for a 1bed(really not interested in a studio)…willing to spend a little extra for safety too.

I've already heard about staying away from the Southside/Westside so I'm really looking more towards the North.

I do have a car here in Atlanta, but I've been told I probably won't need it when I move, as it'll cost me a lot more money to keep and I could just use public transportation. My whole thing is I feel as if that will all be based off of the area and how far I am from work.

Im more of a reserved type of guy so I keep to myself…as I have a girlfriend so no need for me to be around all the ladies or party life! That was never really my lifestyle, even in college haha. As long as I'm near some type of gym/court I'll be happy.

With all that being said, where would be the best place for me to move in your opinion based off the information above?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 07:30 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,021 times
Pilsen.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:12 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
First of all, not everywhere on the south side is bad or anything. There's numerous safe areas. Anyway, based on what you say, there won't be a ton for you if you're going the walkable route. Hyde Park would be the area on the south side I'd look at, but it's kind of an island.

Otherwise, what kind of commute would you be willing to put up with on a train either way? My suggestions would be areas like Lincoln Square, Lakeview, Lincoln Park (you might be able to find stuff there, at least a studio), and Logan Square.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:24 AM

I am trying to stay out of the south side if all possible, as my family strongly advises me not to move there (dad is from Chicago).

I am also unsure what the average commute time is for Chicago cause here in Atlanta it's anywhere from 45-90 minutes.

Does anyone advise me to bring my car there or would it just be a waste of money?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkerguy89 View Post
I am trying to stay out of the south side if all possible, as my family strongly advises me not to move there (dad is from Chicago).
Doesn't matter if your dad is from Chicago - many people in Chicago think the entire south side is dangerous which isn't actually true. There are completely safe areas of the south side. One of the safest areas in the entire city is on the south side.

Quote:
I am also unsure what the average commute time is for Chicago cause here in Atlanta it's anywhere from 45-90 minutes.
Well - I was more asking what you'd be willing to put up with. The furthest away area I mentioned is probably 30-40 minutes by train each way. An area like Lincoln Park or Lakeview is going to be more like 15-25 depending on where you live in there.

Quote:
Does anyone advise me to bring my car there or would it just be a waste of money?
Not really - but I think it depends. Do you have it paid off? If you do, then it wouldn't be as much of a waste of money. If you don't have it paid off then I think you could be safe getting rid of it as long as you live in a walkable area. You could save a lot of money that way. Think about if you go from having $300/month car payments, $50/month in gas and $50/month in insurance to $100/month in public transit and $50/month in cabs. You'd be saving yourself $250/month, or $3000 per year.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Doesn't matter if your dad is from Chicago - many people in Chicago think the entire south side is dangerous which isn't actually true. There are completely safe areas of the south side. One of the safest areas in the entire city is on the south side.
He grew up in the south side, I'm pretty sure that is a place he does not want me to live.

Quote:
Well - I was more asking what you'd be willing to put up with. The furthest away area I mentioned is probably 30-40 minutes by train each way. An area like Lincoln Park or Lakeview is going to be more like 15-25 depending on where you live in there.
Anything under 45-90 is completely acceptable for me! But I am unsure what the difference in time would be in a car vs taking a train/bus.

Quote:
Not really - but I think it depends. Do you have it paid off? If you do, then it wouldn't be as much of a waste of money. If you don't have it paid off then I think you could be safe getting rid of it as long as you live in a walkable area. You could save a lot of money that way. Think about if you go from having $300/month car payments, $50/month in gas and $50/month in insurance to $100/month in public transit and $50/month in cabs. You'd be saving yourself $250/month, or $3000 per year.
Yes, it is paid off. I heard it might cost me another $200 a month just to impound it at whatever apartment I live at? How much truth is there to this as you know of?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:12 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Yes, it is paid off. I heard it might cost me another $200 a month just to impound it at whatever apartment I live at? How much truth is there to this as you know of?
Sure, if you live along the lakefront. Or you can try and chance street parking, but that has its own costs (ruined bumpers, likely street sweeper tickets, hastle of finding a spot again anytime you move it).

If its a neighborhood that's easy to live car-free, living as a car owner will be pricier and less convenient.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
He grew up in the south side, I'm pretty sure that is a place he does not want me to live.
It also depends on where and when he grew up. No doubt there are very dangerous parts of the south side. However, there are many safe parts - if he still thinks the Southwest side is then you know his opinions of the south side are out of date.

Quote:
If you live at a high rise along the lake it might cost this much. You could get away with doing permit parking on the street for under $50/year. You just have to kind of stay up to date - like when there's snow removal and they tell you that you have to move your car, you better do it unless you want a ticket. Some areas are really full of cars, so if you take it out for a spin in some areas, you may have trouble finding a spot again.

You'll also have to get a wheel tax and all that, but it's under $100/year for most people. Then of course you have to pay for insurance so that's another let's say $50/month?

I guess it depends on how often you want to take your car out really. There's tons of walkable areas of Chicago - one of the most walkable cities in the US (by pure numbers, second biggest in the US behind NYC) - so you could get away without one. Many people do - and if you do need one for a little bit and decided to get rid of it, then there's always stuff like ZipCar or renting a car for a day or two.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Sure, if you live along the lakefront. Or you can try and chance street parking, but that has its own costs (ruined bumpers, likely street sweeper tickets, hastle of finding a spot again anytime you move it).

If its a neighborhood that's easy to live car-free, living as a car owner will be pricier and less convenient.
I do not mind necessarily walking a little further if I can't find a parking spot, I just wanted to know if it'd be a complete waste of money by bringing it up there!

Old 07-02-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I do not mind necessarily walking a little further if I can't find a parking spot, I just wanted to know if it'd be a complete waste of money by bringing it up there!
It depends on where you live - if you live in a very walkable area (which is very possible) then it could be a waste of money. I know people who have cars in Chicago and use them probably less than 10 times/year. They only have them "just in case" even though there's thousands of cabs, uber, lyft, etc in the city and you can easily rent a car or do ZipCar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: