Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:33 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times

Advertisements

Pick a street, any street. You could even pick an expressway if you wanted (don't know why you would, but you can).

Why is it your favorite? Is it because of the restaurants? The nightlife? The stores? The housing? The scenery? What makes it your favorite street in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 02:46 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
the 3800 block of Alta Vista in lakeview. all of the homes are historic, connected, and distinct. the street is also uncharacteristically narrow for Chicago. the first time i stumbled upon it i think i walked back and forth down the block 3 or 4 times. kinda reminds me of Greenwich Village

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9518...7i13312!8i6656

Old 07-02-2015, 04:22 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
I don't think I have one single favorite street.

I like Dearborn Pkwy between Goethe St and North Ave for the historic homes and peaceful, leafy atmosphere.

I like Rush Street between Pearson and Oak Street because it's relatively quiet but has a nice mix of historic buildings, new towers, shops, restaurants and the big tree in Connor Park.

I like Superior Street between Wells and Orleans for the art galleries and other small businesses in vintage buildings.

I like 26th Street for the blocks around Lawndale Avenue and Devon Street for the blocks around Western Avenue and Belmont between about Laramie and Menard Ave and Ashland Ave between 45th and 49th for the same reasons: vibrant immigrant communities and businesses.

I like Clark between Argyle and Bryn Mawr for all the Andersonville shops.

I like the block of Jackson between Ashland and Laflin for a glimpse of what the whole West Side once was.

I like the towering warehouse buildings along Pershing Road east from Western Ave for a display of what the manufacturing might of Chicago once was.

I like Bryn Mawr between Broadway and Lakeshore Drive because it always felt like one of those built-up resort areas to me.

I like the little alley streets in the Loop, like Quincy and the eastern end of Arcade Place.

I like that snippet of Oakley Street north of Blue Island that is the heart of the improbable Heart of Italy sub-neighborhood.

I like Bishop Street just north of Taylor Street because it's right by Taylor Street, and has townhomes and rowhouses from another era, has trees in the center of the street, and a plaza separating it from Taylor Street with a statue of Joe DiMaggio and a little faux gate at the north end.

I like the street around Palmer Square for the leafy environment that's just a few blocks from bustling restaurants north and east of it.

Until the Finkl Steel mill was demolished, I loved the Armitage/Cortland corridor all the way from Clark Street to Damen Avenue because of the quite stretches with beautiful homes interspersed with the industry of Finkl and the little retail/commercial blocks along the way. Great for biking on.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:47 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
Probably Oak Street.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Historic Pullman area is really cool.. just about 3 blocks and also their MacDonalds is even modeled after Pullman District.
The rowhouses look like something from last century (which they are). and reminds me of somewhere in old New York.

Hawthorne Street between Broadway and Sheridan have some pretty historic houses, ALMOST as pretty as Alta Vista.

Also Hutchinson St in Buena Park is pretty.

Surrounding Chicagoland (if this counts). you have GOT to take a trip down the Dunes Highway around the southern end of the lake, cute little cottages dot the road.

Also, the other day when the #146 bus makes that turn on Belmont, when you look at the boats in the harbor, you feel you're elsewhere.

Also the #151 bus thru Lincoln Park, there is a lagoon in there and lots of grass, it looks like you are not in the city.

Also, if you go near the Magic Hedge by Montrose and the lakefront its pretty there too. If you are a walker, there is a point on the walking path that you dont hear the sounds of the cars going on Lake Shore Drive and its mysteriously quiet, and its like you are somewhere else - its very pretty early in the morning when sounds are muffled and its a sense of serenity and peace.

Sheridan Road up north going past all the mansions along the lake, toward Winnetka, Evanston, and all those mansions up that way!

Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Astor St.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:41 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,021 times
Here's an interesting trivia.

What are the 3 streets in Chicago, that rhyme with a certain female body part, beginning with the letter v?

Paulina, Melvina, and Lunt.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
I've seen lots of nice streets throughout Lincoln Park- lots if beautiful row homes; looks great in spring/summer. Gold Coast- northern part, near Lincoln park also has many nice homes and nice little streets.

I love coming into downtown on Lake Shore Drive from the north during the winter/ holidays on a Friday/Saturday night. Seeing the crisp air and all the buildings lit up and all the lights never gets old.

Slightly off topic.....I was walking around Streeterville the other week near "River East." I've never really spent much time in Streeterville. I don't recall the names of the streets, but there were some really nice looking homes and buildings around there. I never realized how unique Streeterville is in Chicago. It's so modern and looks like it could part of downtown Austin (maybe I'm over exaggerating); but it is completely contrast to the look of the rest of Chicago. It is very picturesque around the river and there are some nice walk paths around the river with lots of greenery.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Too many to list. Rush Street from about Chestnut up to where State/Rush meet up north of Bellevue. The street can be pretty busy and I like that, but at sometimes it can be quiet. The two plazas there are great. I really like Astor Street too. Both Arlington and Fullerton starting from Clark and going west for a bit. Actually, those streets going east towards the lake are cool too. Milwaukee Avenue from a little north of Division up to a little beyond Damen/North. Really love some of the streets in Pilsen for their street art (and some cool architecture too).

Tons more like random ones in Lincoln Square/Ravenswood area, Hyde Park/Kenwood area, Lakeview East, etc. I also love getting off at the Ohio Street exit for the Kennedy Expressway and gliding kind of through some of the high rises. It's kind of Miami-esque for that little bit.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Time for a repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0saZ...yer_detailpage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago