Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,504 times

Advertisements

I live in Ravenswood and I like that I can take the Metra OR the brown line to work downtown. I love the feel of the neighborhood and that there is much to do. Evanston is on the same Metra line or the purple el, and it's got its appeal too. I guess the best thing to do is visit both and see for yourself. I had considered Evanston too but I do like being that small bit closer to downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:58 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Evanston has both the Metra (commuter rail) and the Purple Line "L". It's a suburb that has everything from large stately mansions to packed urban condo towers. It's actually a really cool town--and not at all like a typical suburb. And it's isolated only from the freeway. It's really well connected to the city and downtown.

Ravenswood is a great North Side Chicago neighborhood, and is also served by the Metra and "L"--though this time it's the Brown Line. It's a bit lower in density than the neighborhoods on the lakefront, but has lots of houses and nice three-story walk-ups. The crime is low, and the businesses are thriving--especially in Lincoln Square, which is in the heart of Ravenswood. It's confusing because the "Official Community Area" recognized by the city is called Lincoln Square, but the neighborhood "Lincoln Square" is actually a small part of the greater Ravenswood Neighborhood. You'll probably hear more people use the name Lincoln Square these days, even though the square itself is a small area. Lincoln Square has a certain cache attached to it now, and the houses near Lincoln or the Brown Line stops are now all in the $800,000 to over a million dollar range. Evanston has expensive housing, but you can still find a house for around $500,000.
Greater Ravenswood Neighborhood? What?! Lincoln Square the neighborhood is in the Lincoln Square community. In reality,"Ravenswood" the neighboorhood is very small. Everyone has called the Square in Lincoln Square and the community Lincoln Square since way before we were born. Those old metal plates attached to light poles proclaiming Lincoln Square are like 35-40 years old.

You have it reversed.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Greater Ravenswood Neighborhood? What?! Lincoln Square the neighborhood is in the Lincoln Square community. In reality,"Ravenswood" the neighboorhood is very small. Everyone has called the Square in Lincoln Square and the community Lincoln Square since way before we were born. Those old metal plates attached to light poles proclaiming Lincoln Square are like 35-40 years old.

You have it reversed.
Hmmm... Actually, the Ravenswood "brand" is older. The Ravenswood company was founded only a few years after Lincoln's assassination. According to the Encyclopedia of Chicago, Lincoln Square didn't start as a cohesive community until after WWII. Before that the whole area was referred to as Ravenswood. Lincoln Square

Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Ravenswood is a neighborhood of Chicago and is just east of Lincoln Square, just west of Uptown, and just Northwest of Wrigleyville. From, say, the Montrose Brown Line stop, you're only about ten minutes from the Belmont stop. There's plenty to do around there. You also have Brown Line access to Lincoln Park. The Red Line can take you from Belmont to Clark/Division in about 15 minutes, if that scene's your cup of tea.
The Ravenswood Metra can get you downtown for work in 15 minutes.

Evanston is a suburb of Chicago, technically. There's stuff to do in Evanston. I don't know that much about it, actually. It's a little tougher to get from Evanston to popular Chicago nightlife areas, though, because the express train that runs to Evanston (the purple line) only runs into Chicago during rush hours. You'd have to take the Purple Line to the Red Line all the way to where you're headed. Some Evanston folks out there can correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems like it'd be a lot tougher to get to the rest of Chicago than it would be from Ravenswood.
I figured I would go back to the beginnng with this one. I do know you know what Ravenswood is, but I figured I would add some backround too. While I was writing this you posted your response before I could clarify what I stated more.

Historically and accurately "Ravenswood" is a very small area located entirely in Lincoln Square. Of course, Ravenswood was a suburb of Chicago before Lake View Township was annexed and before the Ravenswood area was included in the Lincoln Square community.

The area between Ashland and Damen/Lawrence and Addison would be the accepted description of Ravenswood for the entire 20th century but not the most accurate of the original .This was because of the industry and large houses that were located in the area around the train(s). That industrial corridor including its houses around Ravenswood Ave is the accepted area of "Ravenswood" for the entire 20th century. The town was built for the train and latter on, another train was built partially for the town.

Anything west past the Damen stop is not in "Ravenswood." Not now and never was.

"Ravenswood Manor" and "Ravenswood Gardens" are not connected to "Ravenswood." In fact, Ravenswood Manor is in Albany Park which is in Jefferson Township. In actuality, Ravenswood Gardens and Manor were in orbit of Ravenswood as satellites burbs of a burb!

It is amazing how speculators and relators think they can change the community and neighborhood names of Chicago at their whim. So much false info is out there, now you know another reason why Chicago is called the "Windy City!"

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-23-2008 at 10:02 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... Actually, the Ravenswood "brand" is older. The Ravenswood company was founded only a few years after Lincoln's assassination. According to the Encyclopedia of Chicago, Lincoln Square didn't start as a cohesive community until after WWII. Before that the whole area was referred to as Ravenswood. Lincoln Square
Oh, I do know that. But the modern boundaries Lookout describes are incorrect. I know where he is coming from.But if you want to go back and revise Lake View would still be all the way to north Devon,south to North ave and west to Western, eating up the later names for areas like North Center,Uptown,Edgewater, Lincoln Square, Ravenswood etc...

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-23-2008 at 10:22 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I figured I would go back to the beginnng with this one. I do know you know what Ravenswood is, but I figured I would add some backround too. While I was writing this you posted your response before I could clarify what I stated more.

Historically and accurately "Ravenswood" is a very small area located entirely in Lincoln Square. Of course, Ravenswood was a suburb of Chicago before Lake View Township was annexed and before the Ravenswood area was included in the Lincoln Square community.

The area between Ashland and Damen/Lawrence and Addison would be the accepted description of Ravenswood for the entire 20th century but not the most accurate of the original .This was because of the industry and large houses that were located in the area around the train(s). That industrial corridor including its houses around Ravenswood Ave is the accepted area of "Ravenswood" for the entire 20th century. The town was built for the train and latter on, another train was built partially for the town.

Anything west past the Damen stop is not in "Ravenswood." Not now and never was.

"Ravenswood Manor" and "Ravenswood Gardens" are not connected to "Ravenswood." In fact, Ravenswood Manor is in Albany Park which is in Jefferson Township. In actuality, Ravenswood Gardens and Manor were in orbit of Ravenswood as satellites burbs of a burb!

It is amazing how speculators and relators think they can change the community and neighborhood names of Chicago at their whim. So much false info is out there, now you know another reason why Chicago is called the "Windy City!"
Yep. Got all that. It's confusing, alright. At the moment, "Lincoln Square" is the name that is nice and chic to the realtor types. Once upon a time, that name was Ravenswood. That's why that area got inflated and all those other little hoods got named "Ravenswood... whatever".

My only point is that Ravenswood is an old name and an old area. Lincoln Square didn't come to be until 1925.

That's all.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Yep. Got all that. It's confusing, alright. At the moment, "Lincoln Square" is the name that is nice and chic to the realtor types. Once upon a time, that name was Ravenswood. That's why that area got inflated and all those other little hoods got named "Ravenswood... whatever".

My only point is that Ravenswood is an old name and an old area. Lincoln Square didn't come to be until 1925.

That's all.
Ravenswood never encompassed the whole community area that is called Lincoln Square. It only was a small portion. Ravenswood was a subdivison(or you can all them both small villages) in Lake View Township just like Lincoln Square was. It really was not a town and neither was Budlong Woods,Lincoln Square,Bowmanville,etc...

I dont know how anyone can say Ravenswood Gardens, Ravenswood Manor and other parts are parts of "Ravenswood." When the train was built out to Kimball in 1907 there was virtually no one living west of Western. Those names came into existence long after the annex.

The only thing that might lead to the misconception the whole "Lincoln Square" area was called Ravenswood is because there used to be a forest in the area people called "Ravens Wood" because of all the ravens that would fly there.(probably because of the cemetaries in the area) In fact, when I was a teenager I used to see many ravens around the streets near the Brown Line and Metra. I have not seen as many as I once did.

Once the building started and the forest disappeared so did the name. If the forest still was there then I would have no problem calling it all "Ravenswood."

Perhaps I will dig up an old map showing the "Ravens Wood."

Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Ravenswood never encompassed the whole community area that is called Lincoln Square. It only was a small portion. Ravenswood was a subdivison(or you can all them both small villages) in Lake View Township just like Lincoln Square was. It really was not a town and neither was Budlong Woods,Lincoln Square,Bowmanville,etc...

I dont know how anyone can say Ravenswood Gardens, Ravenswood Manor and other parts are parts of "Ravenswood." When the train was built out to Kimball in 1907 there was virtually no one living west of Western. Those names came into existence long after the annex.

The only thing that might lead to the misconception the whole "Lincoln Square" area was called Ravenswood is because there used to be a forest in the area people called "Ravens Wood" because of all the ravens that would fly there.(probably because of the cemetaries in the area) In fact, when I was a teenager I used to see many ravens around the streets near the Brown Line and Metra. I have not seen as many as I once did.

Once the building started and the forest disappeared so did the name. If the forest still was there then I would have no problem calling it all "Ravenswood."

Right.

My point with the naming of Ravenswood Gardens and Ravenswood is that they were named such attempting to cash in on the good name of Ravenswood, which was, at the time, a hot property. Even though they weren't officially a part of Ravenswood, they tried to jump on that bandwagon. Just like realtors will call places "Lincoln Park" even north of Diversey. Just like I've seen people call places well into Albany Park "Lincoln Square area". Etc. etc.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:25 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Comes down to that, then. Kids? Looking to buy? Evanston. Otherwise? Ravenswood.
Well, there are certainly other choices out there too!

In fact, this seems like a strange pair of areas to compare to one another, but you never know what people are looking at when they ask these questions...

Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:

I stand by my post. Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Bowmanville, etc. all existed with different boundaries for decades. But for a long time, Lincoln Square was a small neighborhood nestled within Ravenswood. The "Official Community Area", however, which is bigger than the old Ravenswood, is called Lincoln Square. You have to be careful not to confuse "Community Areas" with the less formal neighborhood boundaries, which only exist unofficially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago