Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:55 AM

867 posts, read 1,372,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Good neighborhoods are, by definition, not dangerous.

The areas to avoid are more like west of California (and ESPECIALLY west of Pulaski), east of Austin, and between Grand Avenue and Ogden. There are a few spots in there that aren't too bad, but if you're going to make a generalization, at least those boundaries aren't excluding the entire central and south parts of the city.

Other areas to avoid in general include the area bounded by 43rd, 75th, MLK, and Western. And the area south of 67th and east of the Skyway. And south of 79th between Halsted St and Cottage Grove Ave. I also personally wouldn't spend a lot of time between Clark, Lawrence, Montrose and Lake Shore Drive - that's the one area I've personally seen a shooting happen.
Whew! I made it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiND View Post
Polish people are definitely racist. I am Polish myself. It is all about perspective and attitude. Poles may feel uncomfortable because Chicago is a large city with a lot of crime and some very crazy people living in it. Obviously, not all Poles are racists. Generally speaking, the younger generations are better than the older ones. My parents came to Chicago 20 years ago and they had to deal with some traumatic stuff when they got here. Drive by shootings were not an uncommon occurrence in neighborhoods that were shared by Polish and Latino neighbors. These types of events can breed distrust among people. It is sad that many of these communities are now becoming more homogeneous (Latino and Polish alike). You have to realize though, that there are Poles and Latinos out there who have gotten past their pre-conceived notions of each other and are friends. I happen to have many friends who are Latinos.

If you are new to the city I would definitely recommend to learn how to "read" people. Put them at ease with your presence if they seem uncomfortable around you. Also, stay away from bad neighborhoods at night. Anything south of North Ave (1600 N) is a no go after hours. Even good neighborhoods can be dangerous

Good luck and enjoy the city.
Wait, what? That's a new one. So DOWNTOWN is a no-go after nightfall? Even Navy Pier? I think our skyline looks the most beautiful at night. Your loss.

Another fantastic view of the skyline is around 11th Street, by the Adler Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum. If you seriously think downtown is scary after dark, that's your loss, I guess.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:22 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
Unless you're applying for a job, as Thomas Sowell says, "Don't worry about racism."

Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I had the same types of interaction with different groups in Chicago.

As a Black man who would often visit restaurant and bars on the northside of Chicago I would run into the same treatment. Sometimes it even would be classified as hostile.

One thing for sure Chicago is one of the most unapologetic racially polarized cities in the country. People tend to live in their own world (neighborhood) and that's OK in their minds.

Just because someone is politically liberal doesn't leave them free from racial or ethnic prejudice. Our nation's most racially segregated cities are the most liberal. I know of people in conservative rural Tennessee who have more interracial interaction than the average Chicagoan.
Being politically liberal has nothing to with racism, a lot of liberals are racist and a lot of uptight politically conservatives are socially liberal like many of the Jewish and Italian people I know.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:22 PM

99 posts, read 126,946 times
I'm a Polish-American from Chicago and trust me: Poles are RACIST. I'm one of the few in my family who doesn't think that blacks are "loud" or that Latinos are "trashy".

Old 07-08-2015, 05:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Eastern Europeans aren't exactly known for enlightened views on race and ethnicity. Be that as it may, the transition of NW side neighborhoods from Polish to Hispanic has by and large been gradual, orderly, and drama-free.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Poles are about as racist as blacks and Hispanics are. Some are, some are not.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:32 PM

45 posts, read 70,527 times
thanks windy city polak.. for being totally honest ... you beat me too it... had plenty of hands on dealings ... and no I am not black ,Hispanic, etc. ,etc. they can be some of the rudest SOB"S .. not to mention they sure are stinky..

Old 04-20-2016, 03:36 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Do you wear baggy pants without a belt and have tattoos on your face and neck?

If you present yourself in a respectable way then there shouldn't be a problem.
Gee, way to make assumptions.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:29 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Wait, what? That's a new one. So DOWNTOWN is a no-go after nightfall? Even Navy Pier? I think our skyline looks the most beautiful at night. Your loss.

Another fantastic view of the skyline is around 11th Street, by the Adler Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum. If you seriously think downtown is scary after dark, that's your loss, I guess.
I think he meant North Avenue on the west side, but even there, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, Little Italy, Tri-Taylor, and Pilsen are all on the west side, south of North Avenue, and pretty nice to very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago