Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 AM

184 posts, read 766,176 times

Advertisements

Something is wrong with that crime map. In what universe do the Loop and Near South Loop have the same crime level as South Shore? I feel reasonably comfortable walking around those Loop areas, but I dare not walk around South Shore. I know from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The "Near South" portion contains a good chunk of Bronzeville which still has some notable crime issues even though it has improved tremendously. As for the loop, I think the data is skewed by the fact that there are so few residents who actually live there (remember, the map measures crime per capita) compared to the number of crime opportunities due to massive volume of commuters passing through during the daytime.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
From what I know, the Loop is among the safest in terms of violent crime-murder,rape, battery...and overall the Loop is actually still amongest the safest...

Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,761 times
Default Well...

Let's just start out by saying that crime is everywhere...small towns and big cities...it is just more often and noticable in a large city. I think you need to get over the "fear" of the big bad city, just find out where there is the least crime in Chicago or it's suburbs and move there. Secondly, I have lived both places for short periods of time and REALLY enjoyed everything about both cities.

SAN DIEGO:

Nice things...people, culture, warm weather, beaches, food, tourist attractions, malls, gay-friendly (Hillcrest...if you are into that), not too far from LA, Tijuana (Mexico in general).

Bad things...cold weather (it DOES get cold there and when it rains the roads are as slick as ice), rent (unless you are planning on living with 1+ roommates and want a "nice" (and I use "nice" loosely) apartment you are looking at about AT LEAST $700+ for a 1 bedroom), "bums" (it is not a bad thing really, just I dunno...they are EVERYWHERE you go...mall, freeway exits, in the median, streets, etc....I never gave them money, aways food), gas prices (get a hybrid), work (most jobs that make good money in other states, you make the same in SD, BUT everything cost more so you are actually more broke than you think).

CHICAGO:

Nice things...people, culture, beaches (only in the summer of course), food (LOTS of IT, and it is GOOD!!!), tourist attractions, you feel like you are in a big city (police sirens, fire engines, you see the occasional drug deal...but nothing major...people ARE NOT getting murdered on the streets in the middle of the day), good schools (good education and doesn't break the bank)

Bad things...rent (again it is a big city so of course it is gonna cost more, BUT you get more for your $$ in Chicago), "bums" (I never saw any close to my house or where I worked, but on the street ocassionally there is a few you pass by), work (LOTS of jobs in MANY areas, just in case you dont know what you wanna do or get a job and HATE IT <---ME).

Well that is about all the advice I can think of, I think another thing you need to do is decice how much money you want to spend every month on certain things. If you decide you don't want to spend a lot...I would say go for Chicago. If money is not an issue, I would say go to SD and enjoy the weather and all it has to offer. Any other questions, just comment and I will check back every once in awhile and try to help you out more

Old 02-08-2008, 05:17 PM

48 posts, read 188,384 times
Having lived in Chicago and Los Angles, I am familiar with San Diego. San Diego is small and pretty but it does not feel safe everywhere. Downtown San Diego has it's share of homeless just like Chicago and has immigration issues given it is next to Mexico. It is pretty in it's own way being on the Ocean but I could see it getting boring after a certain point because it is not that big. Chicago on the other hand is a major urban city with a rich diversity of neighborhoods and suburbs. You can get by in Chicago without a car. While San Diego does have its downtown rail system it is still not tied into all the areas around. What it really comes down to is the weather. Chicago has four seasons and winter. San Diego has nice weather pretty much year around. You should visit both areas and both walk and drive around and get a sense of what you are looking for. Do you want a big city experience or a smaller city with nicer weather?

Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,427 times
Chicago is a 24/7 city with all kinds of things to do, SD is a BIG town/small city on the beach.

They're extremely different.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Chicago isn't a 24/7 city like, say, Vegas or even NYC. We're more of a 20-hour city. That's fine for most folks.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:02 PM

33 posts, read 163,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferDude69 View Post
I think you would be much better off moving to San Diego. I grew up in Chicago, lived in Seattle for 7 years, and spent a summer in San Diego. The weather in Chicago sucks!!! The city is 1 big ghetto, and crime is rampant. There are only 2 good areas of the city, besides The Loop. The Northside and SW sides. The city is majority Afro-American and hispanic. Whites are in the minority. Of the 3 cities, I liked Seattle the best by far.
That's interesting...I grew up in NY, lived in La Jolla (SD) for a year, Seattle for 2 years, currently live in southern AZ, and am in the process of moving to Chicago. Wow I've lived a lot of places Anyhow, Seattle was my LEAST favorite! Snow and cold I can handle, but MAN, the wetness up there really got me. Also, the cost of living to me was ridiculous.

A-Team, I think your best bet is to spend some time in each city doing NON-TOURISTY things. Get a good feel for the different areas in each, avoid the restaurants & attractions catering exclusively to tourists, and just see where you fit best. Each city has such an individual vibe, and every person will feel differently about which one is for them.

I fully understand and agree with you doing part of your research via this board (I have done a ton of mine this way also!), but it's true that you need to spend time in the place you want to go. Once you get to Chicago, you may see that it's nothing like Arkansas whatsoever and hate it, or know immediately that it's meant to be your future home.

Either way, good luck

Old 02-11-2008, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,671 times
Default moving to chicago vs san diego

I moved to san diego from portland and am very familiar with seattle -
was not hard moving here from pacific nw. Have also lived in numerous large east coast cities (NY and Phila) and briefly in iowa.

San Diego is great - the weather is really a plus - becomes an addiction actually. Apartments are not cheap but not as expensive as NYC by a long shot. You can get a small studio for less than 1,000/month unless you are trying to live in the fanciest areas. I have not found it to be dangerous at all. The folks who come over the boarder from Mexico are actually a welcome addition - very family oriented, nice people generally. The beaches are beautiful but the water is cold so if you want to swim - you'll end up getting a wet suit to use most of the year.

The worst problem with San Diego is that you need to use a car. There is a trolley and there are buses but it is a spread out city and so you really need a car to get around. If you like places like NYC where no one has a car (and I believe you can do fine without a care in Chicago as well) then you might not like southern california. If you are going to be at a school then you can live nearby and use a bike but will end up getting rides with friends to get to the beach. There is public transportation from all the major schools to downtown.

The strange thing about housing here is that it is very expensive to buy a house or condo but the rental prices are not up there with the mortgage costs - something that never made sense to me.

good luck!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,205 times
I have lived in Arkansas and have visited Chicago several times on business and I can tell you right now, Chicago is NOTHING like Arkansas - two totally different cultures and environments. Besides, narrow down your search - what area of Chicago are you considering? It is huge compared to Arkansas cities and very different cultural climates throughout. As the person said, research a lot more before making such a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago