Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 706 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be attending UChicago in the fall. She's taking my Pennsylvania registered car with her. Inspection for PA will come due while she's there (car will not be in PA until next summer.) What happens when the inspection is due? Does Illinois check on PA inspections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 04:40 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilbs View Post
My daughter will be attending UChicago in the fall. She's taking my Pennsylvania registered car with her. Inspection for PA will come due while she's there (car will not be in PA until next summer.) What happens when the inspection is due? Does Illinois check on PA inspections?
First I would STRONGLY encourage anyone attending University of Chicago to heed the advice of the school:
Quote:
First-year students are not permitted to have cars, and upperclass students are strongly discouraged from bringing cars to campus. Street parking is scarce and University parking facilities charge fees during weekday business hours.
https://housing.uchicago.edu/prospec...arent_faq/#car

Second, the vehicle WILL NEED TO HAVE City of Chicago sticker --
Quote:
All Chicago residents using his or her vehicle in the City must have a Chicago City Vehicle Sticker, regardless of where the vehicle is registered. Failure to do so can result in a minimum $200.00 ticket and additional fees. Tickets can be issued every day until vehicle is in compliance with the Wheel Tax.
City of Chicago, Office of the City Clerk

$200/day adds up VERY QUICKLY! You can buy LOTS of plane rides...

Illinois has NO inspection requirements, we don't care how unroadworthy a vehicle is along as the fees are paid! That said getting home will require knowledge of Pennsylvannia laws --
Quote:
What is the procedure for a PA registered vehicle reentering the Commonwealth that has an expired safety inspection sticker?

A vehicle subject to inspection, which has been outside this Commonwealth continuously for 30 days or more and which, at the time of reentering this Commonwealth, does not bear a currently valid certificate of inspection, is not required to be inspected until 10 days after reentering this Commonwealth.
Frequently Asked Questions: Vehicle Safety Inspections - Motorist

Sure hope your daughter is better at using the google machine than ma, or she won't last long ...

Old 07-20-2015, 09:32 PM

148 posts, read 307,700 times
^maybe shes a grad student?

anyways, she will be fine as long as the car registration in PA is not expired. just buy the city sticker so she wont get ticketed.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:02 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default In which case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by facebookdigg123 View Post
^maybe shes a grad student?...
...admission standards for the once challenging UofC have fallen immensely! I mean if somebody that has completed an undergrad degree is relying upon their parents to determine what calamity awaits them pending expiration of their Pennsylvania vehicle inspection...

Old 07-21-2015, 05:17 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...admission standards for the once challenging UofC have fallen immensely! I mean if somebody that has completed an undergrad degree is relying upon their parents to determine what calamity awaits them pending expiration of their Pennsylvania vehicle inspection...
Maybe it's just a helicopter mom. I know some of them, they drive me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: