Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:15 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Head back to O'Hare at 4pm.
Will be at the gate by 5:15pm.

I don't see the problem here.
Do you have a helicopter? At 4 p.m. I have had that drive take 20 minutes and I have had it take an hour and a half. Then there's checking your bag and getting through security.

Two hours at Midway is by far the better bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 03:21 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
There aren't any "quick sites" on the Blue Line from O'Hare.

Personally I don't think riding the blue line for 2 hours and having lunch somewhere for an hour, then going through security, sitting in O'Hare again for another 2 hours sounds better than 2 hours in Midway. In fact, it sounds much worse.
?? O'Hare to Logan Square on the Blue Line takes 30 minutes....

Old 07-26-2015, 09:10 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
The fear you guys have...

I'm assuming the blue line, not a taxi. The gets rid of the uncertainty.

Of course the best option for getting to his destination is the 2 hour wait at MDW. But he said that option was not expensive. How much more, he didn't say, but enough to make him consider this other option.

You guys are afraid of every possible thing that might go wrong. Let go of that fear and allow OP to enjoy the city on his layover.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:02 PM

431 posts, read 449,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
He's going to El to Logan Square, get drunk on PBR and Jameson (by himself with his bags), then go back to O'Hare for 2 hours?

I can't think of a worse time, but different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
He's going to El to Logan Square, get drunk on PBR and Jameson (by himself with his bags), then go back to O'Hare for 2 hours?

I can't think of a worse time, but different strokes for different folks.
uh...Getting lunch at Longman & Eagle (which has delicious food), grabbing a coffee and taking a walk is the worst thing you can think of? Wow. And nobody said "get drunk on PBR and Jameson"...you're just using over the top statements because you have some weird personal problem with this issue. You can't do anything by yourself? I guess it's better to sit in an airport by yourself instead of than to do something enjoyable. The guy clearly has somewhat of a desire to explore a nearby neighborhood or do something with his time other than sit in an airport, or he wouldn't have made this thread to begin with.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
uh...Getting lunch at Longman & Eagle (which has delicious food), grabbing a coffee and taking a walk is the worst thing you can think of? Wow. You can't do anything by yourself? I guess it's better to sit in an airport by yourself instead of than to do something enjoyable.
That sounds stupid to me if the other option is getting out of town 4 hours earlier.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
That sounds stupid to me if the other option is getting out of town 4 hours earlier.
thats great...but obviously the OP isn't in some crazy rush to get to their destination if they are even weighing the option to take the 6 hr O'Hare layover

Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
While I can almost understand the desire of the relentless promoters of "the wonders that hipsters have brought to Chicago" to spread their "gospel" this could backfire badly.

For starters the OP really won't be spending four hours in Logan Square, they'll spend a sizeable chunk of that time on the Blue line, which is hardly a model of efficient intra-city transit. Even getting to the transit terminal can prove frustrating with the rather sparse directional signage at O'Hare.

Riding the Blue line is not the worst experience but it will be 9 stops and at least 25 minutes, assuming no delays. Coming out of the station at Logan Sq is hardly some revelatory welcoming to hipster Mecca. There is, as I recall, a nasty liquor store right across from the station. Heck Logan Sq is mostly buildings of 2 or 3 stories and even compared to Brooklyn will seem less like a thriving "big city" than sort of moderate density neighborhood.

While I like Longman and Eagle and have had dinner there a few times I have not been overly impressed by their brunch / lunch menu. Mostly well presented but hardly a terrific value and nothing that screams "so unique you must stop in"... Depending on the day of the week / what else is going on Logan Sq during the daytime is not exactly a model of tourist friendly activity. For folks expecting the artsy / music scene of New Orleans or even the bustle of the Loop they will feel utterly cheated. If the OP is a shopper the relatively odd mix of little mom & pops that used to serve the ethnic population and now quite clearly are waiting for the next hipster with a dream to buy 'em out there is not really any "souvenirs" to bring home...

When OP feels like they've had enough and they head back to O'Hare on the same not very swift CTA it is almost inevitable that they'll come away unimpressed with Logan Sq. -- the real time to appreciate it is when the bars are in full swing and/or during an arts festival. For folks that visit during the day that does not come through at all. Unlike a visit to Millennium Park, that is so much farther as to be really pushing the "scramble for your flight at the boarding gate" there is not really any significant attraction to make "people watching" a viable option.

The OP very well could get on their flight and think, "Logan Sq, meh!" and while that may be the daytime hipster "goal" it hardly seems like something to encourage a repeat visit...

Last edited by chet everett; 07-27-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 AM

If the OP really wants a blue line to a neighborhood experience, I'd get out at Damen. There's more stuff concentrated right there. Quirky shops, cheap food places, more people out and about and a good photo op from the elevated station

Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
If that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I can almost understand the desire of the relentless promoters of "the wonders that hipsters have brought to Chicago" to spread their "gospel" this could backfire badly.

For starters the OP really won't be spending four hours in Logan Square, they'll spend a sizeable chunk of that time on the Blue line, which is hardly a model of efficient intra-city transit. Even getting to the transit terminal can prove frustrating with the rather sparse directional signage at O'Hare.

Riding the Blue line is not the worst experience but it will be 9 stops and at least 25 minutes, assuming no delays. Coming out of the station at Logan Sq is hardly some revelatory welcoming to hipster Mecca. There is, as I recall, a nasty liquor store right across from the station. Heck Logan Sq is mostly buildings of 2 or 3 stories and even compared to Brooklyn will seem less like a thriving "big city" than sort of moderate density neighborhood.

While I like Longman and Eagle and have had dinner there a few times I have not been overly impressed by their brunch / lunch menu. Mostly well presented but hardly a terrific value and nothing that screams "so unique you must stop in"... Depending on the day of the week / what else is going on Logan Sq during the daytime is not exactly a model of tourist friendly activity. For folks expecting the artsy / music scene of New Orleans or even the bustle of the Loop they will feel utterly cheated. If the OP is a shopper the relatively odd mix of little mom & pops that used to serve the ethnic population and now quite clearly are waiting for the next hipster with a dream to buy 'em out there is not really any "souvenirs" to bring home...

When OP feels like they've had enough and they head back to O'Hare on the same not very swift CTA it is almost inevitable that they'll come away unimpressed with Logan Sq. -- the real time to appreciate it is when the bars are in full swing and/or during an arts festival. For folks that visit during the day that does not come through at all. Unlike a visit to Millennium Park, that is so much farther as to be really pushing the "scramble for your flight at the boarding gate" there is not really any significant attraction to make "people watching" a viable option.

The OP very well could get on their flight and think, "Logan Sq, meh!" and while that may be the daytime hipster "goal" it hardly seems like something to encourage a repeat visit...
You forgot to mention how the pension crisis would surely throw a monkey wrench into his layover plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago