Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:14 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
as far as Chicago's core and surrounding areas declining, the Trib, as I noted them noting, said the area received about a 37% boost in population and, in fact, is terribly undersupplied with residential units (the topic of the article was how Rahm wanted to see more intense residential development near CTA and Metra stations to increase the number of available units.
Anybody with 10% of a brain who has paid any sort of attention to what's actually happening in the core and some of the surrounding areas knows this. Anybody who denies the fact that the core is actually growing is nothing more than either (a) an idiot or (b) a complete troll or (c) has zero idea of what they're talking about but still talking about it.

And nobody can deny that other, especially more industrial areas, are not exactly growing (quite the opposite usually). These two things are pretty much evening things out - so yes, on the whole the city is not growing really much population wise. However, it's been evened out by the growth in a handful of neighborhoods. If those neighborhoods like on Near North Side were not growing, we'd see population estimate changes in the negatives and not the positives (even if that's only a very small percentage currently). Not to mention that the last final unemployment rate, 6.7% from May, is down 4% from June 2013 when it was 10.7% (SOURCE: Local Area Unemployment Statistics Home Page)

Last edited by marothisu; 08-11-2015 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
No other city in the US will have the scale of Manhattan.
and the question is: would any city want to?
that's the last thing i'd like to see in Chicago. and thank goodness we don't have 1000 ft.+ thin-as-a-needle destroying the skyline with their out-of-scale monstrosity nature. when it comes to scale, give my boston, chicago, and san francisco any day over new york.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,277,684 times
Quote:
ok, Nola, where did I say that Manhattan hasn't been growing for 40 years? I said that back in time (around the time of the consolidation of Greater New York, Manhattan had a population of 2,000,000. of course, for well off, wealthy enclaves like manhattan, population can actually go down as fewer people live in a unit (no that isn't happening in manhattan,but it could…sometimes lowering of population may bring success.

as far as Chicago's core and surrounding areas declining, the Trib, as I noted them noting, said the area received about a 37% boost in population and, in fact, is terribly undersupplied with residential units (the topic of the article was how Rahm wanted to see more intense residential development near CTA and Metra stations to increase the number of available units.

as for making no sense, you, NOLA, the master of negativity, take the cake: all you do is come here and ***** and troll about how much you hate chicago and how bad it is. if you dislike and disrespect chicago so much, why do you even bother to post here?

i'm go out on a ledge sticking off the sky deck of sears tower on this one and say that your credibility on this sub forum is somewhere in the range of, oh, perhaps….0%.
According to Wikipedia. Manhattan lost 9% in population in the 70s and 6% in the 80s. Remember too NYC was on the verge of BANKRUPTCY IN THE 70s. The US Federal Government bailed it out.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Anybody with 10% of a brain who has paid any sort of attention to what's actually happening in the core and some of the surrounding areas knows this. Anybody who denies the fact that the core is actually growing is nothing more than either (a) an idiot or (b) a complete troll or (c) has zero idea of what they're talking about but still talking about it.
i checked with the louisiana board of public education and the anybody-in-question comes with 8% of a brain, so you have been proven right. thanks for reminding me, marothisu, and i should pay attention to the signs, like the ones i see at Lincoln Park Zoo: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:24 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,426 times
Quote:
and the question is: would any city want to?
that's the last thing i'd like to see in Chicago. and thank goodness we don't have 1000 ft.+ thin-as-a-needle destroying the skyline with their out-of-scale monstrosity nature. when it comes to scale, give my boston, chicago, and san francisco any day over new york.
Out of curiosity, why don’t you like thin skyscrapers? They provide much better human experience at ground level. I wish Chicago would adopt this practice, but with so much developable land, and less than ideal parking requirements, I don’t see that happening. Any of the current 1,000 + ft building going up have less of a street impact than a 400 + ft building in Chicago. The streets of chicago are slowly turning into parking podiums, and half block long developments.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:48 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Out of curiosity, why don’t you like thin skyscrapers? They provide much better human experience at ground level. I wish Chicago would adopt this practice, but with so much developable land, and less than ideal parking requirements, I don’t see that happening. Any of the current 1,000 + ft building going up have less of a street impact than a 400 + ft building in Chicago. The streets of chicago are slowly turning into parking podiums, and half block long developments.
Yep.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Well NY has at least some trends moving in an encouraging direction -- Comptroller: NY reached record employment in 2014

Old 08-11-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
i find them terribly out of scale. i don't like the effect the billionaires row condos have on the skyline; they stick out like a sore thumb, their narrowness makes them appear rectangular, almost boxy. i would have had problems with the chicago spire for the same reason…..it just was too big to fit.

i don't disagree with what you observe about the effect of high rises on the streets in chicago. it's unfortunate that more of the garages are not built underground. a nice exception is a building i had touted on another thread here……9 W. Walton, which does bury the garage below grade.

as far as the "human experience" you mention, i have to wonder how "human" it feels to place those behemoths not on one of manhattan's wide avenues, but on one of the narrow streets, W. 57th; talk about feeling congested

Old 08-11-2015, 01:02 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,426 times
Quote:
i find them terribly out of scale. i don't like the effect the billionaires row condos have on the skyline; they stick out like a sore thumb, their narrowness makes them appear rectangular, almost boxy. i would have had problems with the chicago spire for the same reason…..it just was too big to fit.

i don't disagree with what you observe about the effect of high rises on the streets in chicago. it's unfortunate that more of the garages are not built underground. a nice exception is a building i had touted on another thread here……9 W. Walton, which does bury the garage below grade.

as far as the "human experience" you mention, i have to wonder how "human" it feels to place those behemoths not on one of manhattan's wide avenues, but on one of the narrow streets, W. 57th; talk about feeling congested
9 W. Walton looks like a great building, if they actually use real materials (stone instead of precast) it should look great and make a great impact on the street. Unfortunately for every 9w Walton, there are dozens of precast towers on parking podiums going up.

As for 57th St, while I agree that the towers would fit in better on the avenues, they would obviously loose the iconic Park view. I actually don't think most of the billionaires row buildings are that bad from the street, and you really don't realize how tall they are until you look up. Regardless, I think NYC has a pretty ideal setup for it's buildings: Midtown and Lower Manhattan (FiDi) have all of the supertall construction, while the remainder of Manhattan is filled with more human scale developments.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:27 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Well NY has at least some trends moving in an encouraging direction -- Comptroller: NY reached record employment in 2014
Of course - the city is doing well (and actually the unemployment rates of both NY and Chicago are actually as of today fairly similar) and growing as are some of the other places nearby like Jersey City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago