Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 02:47 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Blyleven View Post
I lived in the old diamond district, nearby where the ACE hotel is, from 2008 to 2012. Prior to that I lived on 1st and 9th from 1998 to 2005. I haven't been there since 2012, and hopefully won't ever have to return... so I guess I'll just leave this topic alone.
Do you claim to know Chicago well? Like last decade?

Also it baffles me the Disneyesque Manhattan we get from the movies... gets tarnished when we visit. How is if possible to have seedy or dirty areas or Midtown or any areas Tourist will definitely visit and walk? Just going off Times Square gets bland. Even 5th Ave gets shops you expect in a off neighborhood.

You mention the Jeweler's District. My first trip left off in that area. I got off the bus and..... ALL INSAW WAS GATED STORES.... I WAS AMAZED THIS WAS ALMIGHTY MANHATTAN. SO SAFE TODAY....

I ABHORE THE STEEL AND GATED STOREFRONTS. New Yorkers like to Boast its safer then Chicago....

Then you are in Downtown Chicago. YOU DON'T SEE GATED STORES? I don't know if the city bans them? Even good neighborhoods its rare.

So living in Chicago meant gated Stores when closed.... meant A BAD NEIGHBORHOOD. THEN YOU GO TO MANHATTAN.... THEY ARE ALL OVER.

You posted Chicago's Loop is scary?.... OMG I SAY SEEING GATED STORES WALKING MAHATTAN especially A SUNDAY. IS WHAT IS SCARY.

Lot of construction in the West Loop since you mentioned Union Station. So it is a changing and with residents too. But more a extension of the Loop as more Business but you see stores popping up more and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 02:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Well, Manhattan once upon a time was not a safe place in many areas. it's way way safer today, but people still have the gated storefronts up in these areas even if crime is down in them until the building gets renovated essentially. 28th/Broadway where that poster was specifying it has more of it than some other parts of midtown. The area is a little dirty but after a little bit it gets better there right now.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:24 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Midtown manhattan is a seedy part of town. It's not a world class downtown. It's not even downtown.

I don't get what you mean with Chicago. Go downtown Chicago on a weekend and there's so few people around it's spooky.
You're a tourist and take the train into Union Station and there's nothing around but office buildings.
Did you visit Chicago at 1 A.M on a Monday morning or something? I've never seen downtown dead, not even at Union Station. It's one thing to give your opinion on something, it's entirely something else to outright lie about an area though, no matter how warped or biased your views are.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:43 PM

41 posts, read 60,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Did you visit Chicago at 1 A.M on a Monday morning or something? I've never seen downtown dead, not even at Union Station. It's one thing to give your opinion on something, it's entirely something else to outright lie about an area though, no matter how warped or biased your views are.
Give me a break, idiot.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Do you claim to know Chicago well? Like last decade?

Also it baffles me the Disneyesque Manhattan we get from the movies... gets tarnished when we visit. How is if possible to have seedy or dirty areas or Midtown or any areas Tourist will definitely visit and walk? Just going off Times Square gets bland. Even 5th Ave gets shops you expect in a off neighborhood.

You mention the Jeweler's District. My first trip left off in that area. I got off the bus and..... ALL INSAW WAS GATED STORES.... I WAS AMAZED THIS WAS ALMIGHTY MANHATTAN. SO SAFE TODAY....

I ABHORE THE STEEL AND GATED STOREFRONTS. New Yorkers like to Boast its safer then Chicago....

Then you are in Downtown Chicago. YOU DON'T SEE GATED STORES? I don't know if the city bans them? Even good neighborhoods its rare.

So living in Chicago meant gated Stores when closed.... meant A BAD NEIGHBORHOOD. THEN YOU GO TO MANHATTAN.... THEY ARE ALL OVER.

You posted Chicago's Loop is scary?.... OMG I SAY SEEING GATED STORES WALKING MAHATTAN especially A SUNDAY. IS WHAT IS SCARY.

Lot of construction in the West Loop since you mentioned Union Station. So it is a changing and with residents too. But more a extension of the Loop as more Business but you see stores popping up more and more.
Are you mentally retarded? Why do you write in such a stupid, unreadable manner?

I would respond to what you are saying but it is impossible to figure out.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Well, Manhattan once upon a time was not a safe place in many areas. it's way way safer today, but people still have the gated storefronts up in these areas even if crime is down in them until the building gets renovated essentially. 28th/Broadway where that poster was specifying it has more of it than some other parts of midtown. The area is a little dirty but after a little bit it gets better there right now.
Well, I'm just saying that area remains seedy. I don't mean it's dangerous or anything like that. Like, if you want to find bridge and tunnel jersey girls doing coke with russian gangster wannabes... the Gansevoort Hotel Park Ave is where they will be. If you want to find an african dude with a money laundering "import" shop that nobody sets foot in... he's over on 27th. If you want to go to a sports bar where hip hop B listers get in fights, it's on Broadway and 30th. Anti-semitic anger management Elmo... he's in Times Square. And so forth.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:10 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Are you mentally retarded? Why do you write in such a stupid, unreadable manner?

I would respond to what you are saying but it is impossible to figure out.
Is that why your previous comment was merely to call someone a Idiot... Wanting to comment on NYC and no longer Chicago... says it all... Also we are not to make personal attacks because you knew your comment was not accurate for today... mentally retarded is also not politically correct today.

Behave

Old 11-13-2015, 09:11 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Well, I'm just saying that area remains seedy. I don't mean it's dangerous or anything like that. Like, if you want to find bridge and tunnel jersey girls doing coke with russian gangster wannabes... the Gansevoort Hotel Park Ave is where they will be. If you want to find an african dude with a money laundering "import" shop that nobody sets foot in... he's over on 27th. If you want to go to a sports bar where hip hop B listers get in fights, it's on Broadway and 30th. Anti-semitic anger management Elmo... he's in Times Square. And so forth.
I think you should pay a visit - things have improved. Yes, there's some shady people still in that area from time to time but it's better. There's only a few times at night I've felt, in that area, like "wtf are these guys doing?" Many parts of Manhattan are gentrifying more and more every month and have been for a handful of years.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:10 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Yes, these things all exist to some extent (except for the African import shops, those are almost entirely gone); no they don't support your premise.

That area isn't remotely seedy. Elmo costumed buskers, suburbanites getting drunk and russian gangsters doing coke aren't exactly typical signs of neighborhood distress. Low property values, empty buildings, minimal activity, reduced investment, high crime, etc. are typical signs of neighborhood distress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago