Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:40 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
^ Yes Marothisu!! I heard that from a group of Minnesotans visiting Chicago back in March. They said in Minnesota they have something called "Minnesota Nice" where, as you said, they are not willing to say things to your face.
I think it's surprising to a lot of people. They assume that Minnesota nice just means that people are nice. It just means they aren't being blunt to your face. They're still judging you as much in some ways than people in any other city.

Quote:
Anyways, since I have moved to Chicago in late June from Southern California I have met mostly really really nice people here. However, to generalize inhabitants of a city as acting a certain way is futile. At the end of the day, most of the people in the really large cities like NYC, LA, CHI, and SF all came from somewhere else. A lot of people I have met here in Chicago came from another state, another country, or from the suburbs.

So like the other biggest metros in the US, Chicago city proper seems to be a very transient city. And with so many people of varied backgrounds, I think everyone is bringing with them some of the attitude or behavior from the place they originally came from.

I think you will find super nice, super cocky/self absorbed, super humble, and what ever else you can think of in a big city with millions of people.

It's not worth it to fight over labeling population in a metro of nearly 10 million people.
How are you liking it a month in? Your sentiments are the same as what I'd say - it's very transient just like any other big city. At the end of the day, there's people from all over the place (as much as others wouldn't like you to believe that on here) in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 07:53 PM

425 posts, read 466,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
How are you liking it a month in? Your sentiments are the same as what I'd say - it's very transient just like any other big city. At the end of the day, there's people from all over the place (as much as others wouldn't like you to believe that on here) in Chicago.
I think the city is awesome!!! It is sooo different from Southern California, I am just shocked by how green everything is here. The grass is green without the need for sprinklers?? Holy Cow!! hahahahaha

Of course that is surprising for me because SoCal is bone dry and needs sprinklers everywhere to keep all the trees and gardens from dying under the intense sun.

In addition to that, there is way way more moisture in the air here than in LA. The humidity isn't the most comfortable thing but I think I am getting more and more used to it as the weeks go by.

Right now I am temporarily staying in Bucktown, just a few blocks from 6 corners/Blue Line Damen station.

It's a very diverse neighborhood with a lot of old and new architecture. Still job hunting right now. I will find something soon though.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
I think the city is awesome!!! It is sooo different from Southern California, I am just shocked by how green everything is here. The grass is green without the need for sprinklers?? Holy Cow!! hahahahaha
HA - yes. Though wait until late fall and winter. Then it won't be green (unless you find some evergreen trees). The greenery during summer is nice though.

Quote:
Of course that is surprising for me because SoCal is bone dry and needs sprinklers everywhere to keep all the trees and gardens from dying under the intense sun.
California needs some water pronto.

Quote:
In addition to that, there is way way more moisture in the air here than in LA. The humidity isn't the most comfortable thing but I think I am getting more and more used to it as the weeks go by.
For most of my friends from SoCal who have visited or live in Chicago, that's been the major thing for them too.

Quote:
Right now I am temporarily staying in Bucktown, just a few blocks from 6 corners/Blue Line Damen station.

It's a very diverse neighborhood with a lot of old and new architecture. Still job hunting right now. I will find something soon though.
Hope you find something soon! Those are some good neighborhoods. A lot to do Glad you're enjoying yourself so far

Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Interestingly enough, if anything drives me out of the Midwest it won't be the winters but the humidity. but sf_a makes an interesting, related point in that probably any place where I'm liable to go to get away from the humidity will either be brown or "artificially" green with the aid of unwise water use policies.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:41 PM

498 posts, read 724,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
But you better believe they're talking crap about you behind your back constantly.
Aren't you talking crap about them behind their back now?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Aren't you talking crap about them behind their back now?
Yeah, generalizing on a public forum is the exact same as talking about someone behind their back.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 PM

498 posts, read 724,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah, generalizing on a public forum is the exact same as talking about someone behind their back.
I agree

Old 07-27-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
I agree
Then you might consider working on your reasoning skills.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Interestingly enough, if anything drives me out of the Midwest it won't be the winters but the humidity. but sf_a makes an interesting, related point in that probably any place where I'm liable to go to get away from the humidity will either be brown or "artificially" green with the aid of unwise water use policies.
Anything west of the Missouri, with the exception of the Pacific Northwest, is going to be quite dry. Yeah, i hate the humidity of the East Coast ( and we're about to be hit with a heat wave of sorts), but at least we don't lack for decent rainfall, and everything here in New England is quite green..

I do fear for California, though. The water restrictions are going to be a permanent part of livnig there, from now on..

Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
I am just shocked by how green everything is here. The grass is green without the need for sprinklers??
we also had extremely wet+cool spring/early summer. it was one of the rainiest junes in Chicago history.

we've definitely had other summers where the grass is entirely parched and brown by this point in the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago