Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:42 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
^ Yes Marothisu!! I heard that from a group of Minnesotans visiting Chicago back in March. They said in Minnesota they have something called "Minnesota Nice" where, as you said, they are not willing to say things to your face.

Anyways, since I have moved to Chicago in late June from Southern California I have met mostly really really nice people here. However, to generalize inhabitants of a city as acting a certain way is futile. At the end of the day, most of the people in the really large cities like NYC, LA, CHI, and SF all came from somewhere else. A lot of people I have met here in Chicago came from another state, another country, or from the suburbs.

So like the other biggest metros in the US, Chicago city proper seems to be a very transient city. And with so many people of varied backgrounds, I think everyone is bringing with them some of the attitude or behavior from the place they originally came from.

I think you will find super nice, super cocky/self absorbed, super humble, and what ever else you can think of in a big city with millions of people.

It's not worth it to fight over labeling population in a metro of nearly 10 million people.
And keep in mind that the % of people that live the city life is a fraction of that 10 million. Generally the population of a metro area includes a lot of areas that are simply small towns that were close to cities and just grew close together and can't tell where one ends and the other begins.

For all those major metro areas you mentioned, the % of people that live a lifestyle significantly different from smaller cities across the US is much smaller than one would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 12:08 PM

498 posts, read 724,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Then you might consider working on your reasoning skills.
You might want to work on your sarcasm detecting skills

Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The relative greenery and such in the greater Western states in largely a function of topography. The hills west of San Diego actually experience fall colors --

There are actual pine forests and snow cover in Northern Arizona --

There are spots in Utah that could pass for Wisconsin --

Same for northern New Mexico, skiing is great there -- Chama New Mexico Events Page

Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Just ask someone from Milwaukee if there is a difference between NY People and CHI people why do you think they call em FIBS and FISHTABS?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Just ask someone from Milwaukee if there is a difference between NY People and CHI people why do you think they call em FIBS and FISHTABS?
They hate us cuz they ain't us

Old 07-28-2015, 08:58 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
I'm 60 years old and not once in those 60 years have I ever heard anybody accuse Chicago of being a "friendly" city. I've heard Chicago accused of being a "rough" and "dangerous" city, but "friendly" is a term I've never heard anybody use to describe Chicago.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I'm 60 years old and not once in those 60 years have I ever heard anybody accuse Chicago of being a "friendly" city. I've heard Chicago accused of being a "rough" and "dangerous" city, but "friendly" is a term I've never heard anybody use to describe Chicago.
Compared to Boston, I'd say that Chicago is friendly, to cite one example.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:33 AM

431 posts, read 449,879 times
I actually think Chicagoans are friendly enough.
They can be coarse and rude but it often just seems like blowing off steam in a stressful urban environment.
Whereas in a lot of places if people get worked up enough to get in your face, it means they truly hate your guts on a dark, primal level.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Chicago's the friendliest city in America and anyone who argues otherwise is gonna get socked in the nose.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:33 AM

410 posts, read 492,175 times
I always understood that the "niceness" was when compared to places like NYC in the States; for a major city Chicago is "nice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago