Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:59 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,021 times
And as far as the OP's question...

For a short Asian to bike around a place like Englewood.

This is like why can't a girl walk around in bikinis shirtless and "not get approached" by guys? I mean, is she asking for it?

As much as a short Asian has as much privilege to bike around any neighorhood, regardless of race, I'm afraid I'm inclined to stay with the "What business does he have, doing in our neighborhood?"

For whatever reason, certain neighborhoods are more protective than others, of strange tourists.

Unless you are a vigilante, then of course, bike in any neighborhood at any hour. Walk around shirtless too if you wanted. Combination colors.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:31 PM

304 posts, read 364,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
And as far as the OP's question...

For a short Asian to bike around a place like Englewood.

This is like why can't a girl walk around in bikinis shirtless and "not get approached" by guys? I mean, is she asking for it?

As much as a short Asian has as much privilege to bike around any neighorhood, regardless of race, I'm afraid I'm inclined to stay with the "What business does he have, doing in our neighborhood?"

For whatever reason, certain neighborhoods are more protective than others, of strange tourists.

Unless you are a vigilante, then of course, bike in any neighborhood at any hour. Walk around shirtless too if you wanted. Combination colors.
Exactly This,

Okay no, really, back to reality

THE ENTIRE SOUTHSIDE IS PUTRID AND ABOMINABLE

THE IS NO SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD ON THE SOUTH SIDE

C'MON DUDE ITS THE SOUTHSIDE? LIKE REALLY?!

AS SOON AS YOU GO SOUTH OF MADISON EVERYTHING CHANGES. IF YOU ARE WALKING ON ANY OF THE NUMBERED STREETS YOU RISK DEATH.

THIS INCLUDES SHORT ASIANS RIDING BIKES AS WELL

THE ENTIRE SOUTH SIDE IS FULL OF AFRO-AMERICAN GANG BANGERS DRIVING CADILLAC ESCALADES WITH TEAR DROP TATTOOS AND GOLD GRILLES IN THEIR MOUTHS. UPON SEEING YOU THE WILL JUMP OUT OF THEIR STOLEN VEHICLE AND PLUG YOU WITH BULLETS FROM A Browning Automatic Rifle UNTIL YOU'VE GOT MORE BULLETS IN YOU THAN BONNIE AND CLYDE. AFTER THIS YOU WILL BE STRUNG UP AND HUNG FROM A TELEPHONE WIRE.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE ON HERE WHO CLAIMS TO BE FROM/LIVED ON SOUTHSIDE IN SAID NEIGHBORHOOD AND THEY STOPPED TO GET GAS ONCE 12 YEARS AGO AND THEY WERE OKAY. THESE ARE REALLY JUST THE THUGS, SITTING AT THE LIBRARY COMPUTER SURFING CITY DATA TO FEED NAIVE PEOPLE LIKE YOU LIES THAT THE SOUTHSIDE IS OKAY. THEY LOOK FORWARD TO KILLING YOU AND EATING YOU.

Give Yourself...Give Your LIFE just one more chance...

Don't do it.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:27 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
Exactly This,

AS SOON AS YOU GO SOUTH OF MADISON EVERYTHING CHANGES. IF YOU ARE WALKING ON ANY OF THE NUMBERED STREETS YOU RISK DEATH.

THE ENTIRE SOUTH SIDE IS FULL OF AFRO-AMERICAN GANG BANGERS DRIVING CADILLAC ESCALADES WITH TEAR DROP TATTOOS AND GOLD GRILLES IN THEIR MOUTHS. UPON SEEING YOU THE WILL JUMP OUT OF THEIR STOLEN VEHICLE AND PLUG YOU WITH BULLETS FROM A Browning Automatic Rifle UNTIL YOU'VE GOT MORE BULLETS IN YOU THAN BONNIE AND CLYDE. AFTER THIS YOU WILL BE STRUNG UP AND HUNG FROM A TELEPHONE WIRE.
Ehhh....

He probably will face more danger at a movie theater or in a church than he will riding through the southside.

Seems like that is where all of the psychos of the world are choosing to attack innocent people

When was the last time you heard of any asian person being shot by a gang banger?

OP is better off driving the area before he makes a decision to bike.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:36 AM

92 posts, read 235,183 times
If you use Twitter, check out Chicago Scanner. It's an an actual copy of police dispatch when something goes down in this city. It is good to see what areas are hot spots, and what is really going on when we are sleeping.

@Chicago_Scanner) tweeted at 10:03 PM on Wed, Aug 05, 2015:
003:
Shots fired 68th/Langley, 12 shots heard 69th/Vernon #Chicago #ChicagoScanner
(https://twitter.com/Chicago_Scanner/...837618176?s=03)

Old 08-06-2015, 04:46 AM

867 posts, read 1,371,809 times
Quote:
Exactly This,

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE ON HERE WHO CLAIMS TO BE FROM/LIVED ON SOUTHSIDE IN SAID NEIGHBORHOOD AND THEY STOPPED TO GET GAS ONCE 12 YEARS AGO AND THEY WERE OKAY. THESE ARE REALLY JUST THE THUGS, SITTING AT THE LIBRARY COMPUTER SURFING CITY DATA TO FEED NAIVE PEOPLE LIKE YOU LIES THAT THE SOUTHSIDE IS OKAY. THEY LOOK FORWARD TO KILLING YOU AND EATING YOU.

Give Yourself...Give Your LIFE just one more chance...

Don't do it.
I hope you're kidding? If not this is sad....sad I never received my government issued Cadillac Escalade!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
ehhh....

He probably will face more danger at a movie theater or in a church than he will riding through the southside.

Seems like that is where all of the psychos of the world are choosing to attack innocent people

when was the last time you heard of any asian person being shot by a gang banger?

Op is better off driving the area before he makes a decision to bike.

whoa...just so everyone knows i was 100% kidding

you cant tell? I thought it was funny

Old 08-06-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
I hope you're kidding? If not this is sad....sad I never received my government issued Cadillac Escalade!
I was kidding yes 100% sarcasm

Old 08-06-2015, 10:28 AM

867 posts, read 1,371,809 times
Quote:
I was kidding yes 100% sarcasm
I was too! Lol

Old 08-06-2015, 11:34 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Yea Runuova, the ones he's tossing out on the North side are the Black neighborhoods, like Uptown, where the finballs and folks don't get along. What point are you trying to get at?
Uptown actually has a white plurality and includes some very nice areas, but a high concentration of social services near Truman College and the Wilson "L" stop attracts troublemakers and gives the central part of Uptown a dangerous vibe. Margate Park, Buena Park, and to some extent Sheridan Park are much nicer than central Uptown as is the Asian area around Argyle. A small area west of Ashland, sometimes called East Ravenswood, is officially part of Uptown and is very pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago