Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times

Advertisements

We were this close to "cutting the cord" for cable TV, but Comcast came back with better pricing and we kept it.

They are the only internet service provider I would even consider around here. No one else comes close on bandwidth or speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 AM

80 posts, read 102,855 times
As a first-time Comcast user, I signed up for a 12-month low rate. My first bill was 3x the rate I signed up for and calling had no effect (transferred to 8 different people who just kept transferring me). Comcast's new customer service center, Xfinity Studio, fixed the problem for me. At first they said there was nothing they could do, but I persisted and insisted on the lower rate. After 2 days and 5 hours, they gave it to me. I guess my point is if you have trouble with Comcast, which you will, go into the studio in person and be persistent.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:05 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjttt View Post
As a first-time Comcast user, I signed up for a 12-month low rate. My first bill was 3x the rate I signed up for and calling had no effect (transferred to 8 different people who just kept transferring me). Comcast's new customer service center, Xfinity Studio, fixed the problem for me. At first they said there was nothing they could do, but I persisted and insisted on the lower rate. After 2 days and 5 hours, they gave it to me. I guess my point is if you have trouble with Comcast, which you will, go into the studio in person and be persistent.
I hope they loaded you with freebies for your time.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:05 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
do you think that since AT&T uses wires to connect you they might not be in good shape, even very old. i dont know, but seems like having cable service would be top notch and not have to rely on telephone wires coming out of your wall. i dont have confidence in the old telephone wires that you still have to use with AT&T? or have they updated it since then? im not being a troll, i just have not had it in awhile and thats the thing i hated the most - the unattractive wires and who knows how old they are, they might replace them of course, when they come to install however, who knows if the wiring is last century and not as efficient. i know cable has wires, but its not as intrusive as phone wires.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:48 PM

30 posts, read 28,981 times
If you have the money, just get fiber and save yourself the trouble.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:08 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,827,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
do you think that since AT&T uses wires to connect you they might not be in good shape, even very old. i dont know, but seems like having cable service would be top notch and not have to rely on telephone wires coming out of your wall. i dont have confidence in the old telephone wires that you still have to use with AT&T? or have they updated it since then? im not being a troll, i just have not had it in awhile and thats the thing i hated the most - the unattractive wires and who knows how old they are, they might replace them of course, when they come to install however, who knows if the wiring is last century and not as efficient. i know cable has wires, but its not as intrusive as phone wires.
AT&T is DSL service which is why it requires the phone lines. It is not a true cable internet provider which is typically more reliable and faster. That is why I don't ever want AT&T again, it was slow for playing online games, etc.

Comcast sucks something awful though too! I had RCN for a long time and they were MUCH better. For those that don't have an option between comcast or AT&T though, I would recommend Comcast. Just know that you WILL have problems with them.

When I had AT&T I also had problems, they were prompt to fix them but the internet service itself still sucked. Comcast will have problems and they will be a pain to deal with but at least the service when it works is really good.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityguy0 View Post
If you have the money, just get fiber and save yourself the trouble.
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
AT&T is DSL service which is why it requires the phone lines. It is not a true cable internet provider which is typically more reliable and faster. That is why I don't ever want AT&T again, it was slow for playing online games, etc.

Comcast sucks something awful though too! I had RCN for a long time and they were MUCH better. For those that don't have an option between comcast or AT&T though, I would recommend Comcast. Just know that you WILL have problems with them.

When I had AT&T I also had problems, they were prompt to fix them but the internet service itself still sucked. Comcast will have problems and they will be a pain to deal with but at least the service when it works is really good.
U-Verse is fiber to the box and then copper to the home. Speed is not the issue; daily downtime is. What I'm hearing is that the problem is the copper from box to home is highly susceptible to interference from outside sources. But when I had DSL that was copper all the way to the home from the central office, I didn't have any problems with interference.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have to suck it up and give Comcast a call.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:32 PM

302 posts, read 452,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

If you have uVerse, it's fiber to a node, then from the node to your house, you will get coaxial. In my last setup, however, they did Fiber to my house. They don't have fast enough speeds yet for my liking, but for about 85% of customers, they're more than enough. The great thing about them is that there are no such things as peak times. Your speed is consistent no matter what. 30 neighbors could be gaming hardcore and you're still good.

With Comcast, they use Coaxial for the most part. They have faster speeds and a bigger pipe, but they do still have peak times as any other cable company will. If those same 30 neighbors all have Comcast and are gaming, you'll definitely feel it. Only way to get around that is by staying on top of technology and making sure you have a 16 stream modem if Comcast offers most of their customers 8. Once they start offering 16, go for 32. That way you'll get all your promised speeds and sometimes a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago