Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Wow, hard to believe my eyes, but we actually have a thread here on CD that hasn't decayed into a name calling, race baiting, finger pointing pout fest. Excellent discussion folks.

I agree with the steak swimming in butter. Sure, I like butter as much as the next guy, but come on......That's akin to someone who squeezes 3 lemons onto their piece of seafood to get rid of the fishy taste.

I also don't agree that you can produce as good a steak at home as you can at most of these places, at least not as consistently. While I consider myself a very good grillmaster, a lot of these places only even use the grill to sear the steak, then cook/finish it in the broiler.
However, if you're going to do steaks at home, I'd suggest your local corner butcher, not a grocery store (although I'm been pleasantly surprised with Costco steaks). I used to visit Paulina Meat Market and Gene's for my beef.
I've actually been pleasantly surprised at the quality of meat I've gotten at the meat counter at Mariano's. I realize it's not as good as going to the local butcher, but sometimes when I want to get everything at once, a place like Mariano's serves me well. In a pinch, I can get the guy at the meat counter of Cermak Market to cut some ribeyes for me to my requested thickness (If I can get him to understand me)

As far as butter on a steak is concerned, I agree that drowning your steak in it is a terrible idea, but a small pat on top as it rests mingles nicely with the natural juices of the steak. I have seen a couple of high end TV chefs (names escape me) use that technique, so when done with restraint, it is an acceptable practice. I don't do it every time, for sure, but it serves we well on occasion (especially when I am cooking a lower quality cut of steak)

That said, I still love going to a good steakhouse once in a while. I'm a fan of the medium! (Or the medium rare to clarify my ham-fisted pun)
Something about someone else cooking it for me makes it more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
It ain't a pat of butter (which is still pointless if the steak selected has a nice ratio of marbling and extra-muscular far...) it is more like an ice cream scoop sized dollop. The plate is typically bubbling with a yellow pool of butter

The thing of it is the actual carcasses are probably not being graded at the "top" of the prime ranking and that might have as much to do with the various premiums that some of the speciality suppliers reserve for their pickiest customers. The extra effort that Burke's and Gibsons go through can't be done when you have dozens of locations... USDA Beef Quality and Yield Grades | Meat Science

There are professors that make a living studying this stuff: Cattle Today: SCIENTIST EXPLAINS HEALTH ADVANTAGES OF MARBLING

Old 08-05-2015, 09:12 PM

905 posts, read 790,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Wow, hard to believe my eyes, but we actually have a thread here on CD that hasn't decayed into a name calling, race baiting, finger pointing pout fest. Excellent discussion folks.

I agree with the steak swimming in butter. Sure, I like butter as much as the next guy, but come on......That's akin to someone who squeezes 3 lemons onto their piece of seafood to get rid of the fishy taste.

I also don't agree that you can produce as good a steak at home as you can at most of these places, at least not as consistently. While I consider myself a very good grillmaster, a lot of these places only even use the grill to sear the steak, then cook/finish it in the broiler.
However, if you're going to do steaks at home, I'd suggest your local corner butcher, not a grocery store (although I'm been pleasantly surprised with Costco steaks). I used to visit Paulina Meat Market and Gene's for my beef.
You can order your steak at RC's without butter, it is not required. But that would be stupid because it's awesome. I recently bought a 27 dollar steak (on sale) from Paulina and RC's was still better-the butter and the 1800 degree broiler rule.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:15 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,551 times
Obviously, tastes in food is very subjective, like art or movies or wine (and just to bring up another argument, I don't think there's much difference in a $50 and $500 bottle of wine and I don't even think 99% of the population could tell).

My favorite pizza place of all time is the old Gino's East while some others probably prefer Dominoes.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 PM

303 posts, read 578,740 times
Since it's my birthday this week, I want a downtown steakhouse experience . This weekend I'm going to check out Ruth Chris or Gibsons.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:32 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
Since it's my birthday this week, I want a downtown steakhouse experience . This weekend I'm going to check out Ruth Chris or Gibsons.
I would recommend Gibson's for the "experience." Gibson's ambience is really nice. Just an nice restaurant and bar in the front. Plus they have a more extensive selection of steak, appetizers, etc., and the desserts are awesome. Gibson's is a great and popular Chicago experience. There are Ruth Chris' all over the country, but Gibsons is unique to Chicago/Chicagoland.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:15 AM

796 posts, read 930,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Chicago Cut is ****ing delicious.
I took my wife to chicago cut for the first time for our anniversary in august, and everything was phenomenal. not just the steak, but the sides as well.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:23 PM

My Wife and I went to Chicago Chop House last week and thought it was excellent.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:47 PM

303 posts, read 578,740 times
Thanks guys, I'm going to put Chicago Cut on my list. I hear great things about Gibson, They say they steak is the best.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
Thanks guys, I'm going to put Chicago Cut on my list. I hear great things about Gibson, They say they steak is the best.
The food is great at Gibsons but when we went there for my birthday a couple of years ago we felt the service was kind of rushed. When this was pointed out to our waiter he said (and I quote) "We're the busiest steakhouse in America. We don't play!"
That was the first and last time I ate there. For my money there are better steaks and better experiences to be had where one can enjoy a great meal without the restaurant acting as if they're doing you, the customer, a giant favor by allowing you to eat there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago