Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:47 AM

303 posts, read 579,183 times

Advertisements

Chicago is a city known for it's great steakhouses , so I need to make a decision on which one to choose. What is the best steakhouses in the city ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 09:21 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
Chicago is a city known for it's great steakhouses , so I need to make a decision on which one to choose. What is the best steakhouses in the city ?
There is no one "best" steakhouse in a city as big as Chicago. You can have an excellent steak at any of the places on the list below. Which one you choose depends on what you want out of your experience.

If you want traditional and a see-and-be-seen crowd in a lively nightlife area, you go to Gibson's.

If you want modern you probably go to Chicago Cut or RPM Steak.

If you want newer and cozy, try Bavette’s Bar & Boeuf.

If you want traditional away from the tourists, you go to Gene & Georgetti or to Erie Cafe or maybe Benny's (in a more touristy area than the other two, but lesser-known outside of Chicago).

If you want classic in a touristy area, try Chicago Chop House.

If you want a Chicago steakhouse experience run by a nationally-known chef from New York or you want beef that's been dry-aged for an obscenely long time, you go to David Burke's Primehouse.

If you want a celebrity name, you go to Michael Jordan's or maybe Mike Ditka's.

If you want a great deal on a downtown steak (not cheap, but less expensive than other downtown places) you might go to Kinzie Chop House.

If you want a great deal and don't mind leaving downtown, go to Boeufhaus.

If you want a popular, if somewhat inconsistent, "ethnic" steakhouse, go to the Argentine "Tango Sur" in Lakeview.

If you want a high-end chain steakhouse you can go to Ruth's Chris, or Mastro's, or the Palm, or Morton's or Lawry's, or Smith & Wollensky and probably others.

And many of the other high-end restaurants downtown also have at least one really nicely made steak on their menu. For example, the steak at Naha is always really good.

Last edited by emathias; 08-01-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-01-2015, 09:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I tend to agree that you need to clarify whether you want the best CHICAGO Steakhouse EXPERIENCE or the nicest dining experience or the best steak or some combination. I like both the short list from Thrillist -- The 10 Best Steakhouses in Chicago

And the somewhat longer list (that is a bit dated) from Chicago Magazine -- 20 best steakhouses |ChicagoMag

Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 AM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Quote:
Both Joe's seafood & prime steaks..... and RPM steak are my present favorites in the city. I'll offer up Gibsons also, except that the Chicago location is a hurried and cramped experience too often. They are the top grossing restaurant in Chicagoland for a good reason. In fact all three Gibs locations are amongst the Chicagolands top ten grossing eateries.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:30 AM

358 posts, read 621,426 times
Quote:
Chicago Chop House
Joe's Seafood & Prime Steak
Ruth Chris (very good steak, but a chain, and every city has one)

Old 08-01-2015, 03:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Golden Steer in Forest Park. It's relish-tray old-school.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:54 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Chicago Cut is ****ing delicious.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:06 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
I went to the Ruth Chris steakhouse in Barrington and was very disappointed in the steak. I would skip it. The only thing I liked was the blueberry mojito.

Toms steakhouse in Melrose Park is also very old school. Its not up there with the best but if you are in the area worth a drop in.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:59 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I went to the Ruth Chris steakhouse in Barrington and was very disappointed in the steak. I would skip it. The only thing I liked was the blueberry mojito.

Toms steakhouse in Melrose Park is also very old school. Its not up there with the best but if you are in the area worth a drop in.
Went to the very same restaurant in Barrington last month and found the steak to be pretty good, but everything else was below par for such a pricey steakhouse.

Haven't been to Tom's in a long time but you just put it back on the map for me. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:32 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Both Joe's seafood & prime steaks..... and RPM steak are my present favorites in the city. I'll offer up Gibsons also, except that the Chicago location is a hurried and cramped experience too often. They are the top grossing restaurant in Chicagoland for a good reason. In fact all three Gibs locations are amongst the Chicagolands top ten grossing eateries.
Gibsons seems like the overall most popular steakhouse that every Chicagoan has to go to at least once, for the popularity and ambiance. I thought the steak was good, but definitely not worth the high prices. We went with a group of friends on a Saturday night, and the ambiance was really nice. Not somewhere I go often, but it's good to go once for the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago