Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:51 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,694,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
That is a serious health hazard. As you mentioned, it's required by the CDC that you report your exposure to the health department, and get immunized like you did. The fact that you are still finding bats in your place is dangerous, and you're spending money to live in a hotel. That's got to be disrupting your life in general. I'm surprised that your landlord isn't rolling down the red carpet for you, given what you've gone through.

How much penalty is it if you break the lease? It seems like now, with the bats still being there after they tried to exterminate them, that you definitely have legitimate grounds for breaking the lease. For me, the stress and impact on life would be too much to continue living there. The only other suggestion is that you could threaten bad press (negative reviews) if your landlord doesn't let you out of the lease. You couldn't get in any trouble because you aren't lying and everything is documented.

That's one reason I usually go for newer apartments or at least well maintained brick apartments, even though they are pricier. You usually don't have to deal with these rodent issues. In these older buildings, squirrels can be a problem in the winter to, so be careful. I have had to deal with a squirrel in the apartment once, and since then I've opted for newer high rise apartments!
Well after yesterday's incident I spoke with every tenant in my unit. 3 other units had also seen bats AND reported it. Landlord has been telling us all individually that 'you're the only one that's seen a bat'.

The neighbor on my floor said she saw a baby one...in front of MY door the other night. Neighbor below me saw a big one Saturday night (I was in a hotel Sat night); she said it flew upstairs (towards my apartment)...then I walk in to seeing one Sunday afternoon. (She said she opened the door to one and it just missed her face because she ducked quick enough. I think she and her boyfriend just may skip out on the lease.)

Disruptive is a nice way to put how all of this has been for me. I literally can't do anything in my apartment but sit on the couch wrapped up hoping to doze off for just a little bit, but not to fall asleep to the point where I'll open my eyes to one...again. I really cannot keep having these close encounters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 02:58 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,304,811 times
Can't all of you neighbors get together and face the landlord down?

Old 08-24-2015, 03:22 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,776,538 times
I'm sorry to hear that. You shouldn't be living in that kind of fear. If I was you, I would gladly pay whatever penalty is required and be out of there ASAP.

Also that picture that you have with the bat around your clothes, can't be safe. I'm not sure what kind of health impact that can have on you, but I wouldn't feel safe wearing those clothes either. This is becoming a huge pain, and IMO you should get out of there ASAP. Once you can finally breathe again, then go after the landlord.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:34 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,956,823 times
That's really awful. Have you tried reporting it to the city of Chicago Department of Public Health and Animal Control? It looks like you can reach both of those by dialing 311. Hell, if it happened to me, I'd be calling the police department and the fire department after the lack of real response from your landlord.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:18 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,291,269 times
Wait, so this same apartment had bats and bedbugs?

I hate to be the one to bring up the topic of lawsuits, but sometimes w/ these landlord/borderline slumlords, the only way to get through to them is via their wallets. You and all of the other tenants need to band together and talk to the landlord, preferably in person. Express the health danger of having these bats flying around, including the shots you've had to take. Bring up any and all inconveniences: the cost of the hotel stays, the time and money spent on the vaccinations, etc. Bring up the threat of calling in the Health Department (which shouldn't be just a threat- call them asap)- this is a public health issue. According to this site, there have been 2 confirmed cases of rabid bats in Cook County last year, 11 in 2013. Rabies is NO JOKE; people die if not treated promptly.

Get this information through your landlord's thick head any way you can and if they still have their fingers in ears going "la la la", threaten to break your lease and sue because, as is, your apartment is unfit for living, IMHO. Keep track of ALL of your expenses, including travel between your hotel and apartment and any medications. I would absolutely recommend talking with someone at CARPLS or another legal aid clinic to see what you rights are in this situation. Either way, prepare for a fight b/c it seems like your slumlord is unwilling to fix their unit. I wouldn't expect any quick answers and if things aren't fixed, you may have to move. If someone like Animal Control can catch the bat, I would work on sealing any entry points, again noting the expense and sending it along to your LL.

EDITED TO ADD: Is there any way you can set up video surveillance in your apartment? If your apartment is the main point of entry for the bats, maybe your neighbors will be willing to pitch in for it so every apartment doesn't need to be monitored. It would be good to have solid proof since the picture above is a bit blurry. Of course, catching the bat would be proof enough, but until then...

Last edited by eevee; 08-26-2015 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
That's really awful. Have you tried reporting it to the city of Chicago Department of Public Health and Animal Control? It looks like you can reach both of those by dialing 311. Hell, if it happened to me, I'd be calling the police department and the fire department after the lack of real response from your landlord.
The health department contacted me after I had reported this to animal control. Animal control has been to my apartment 4 times. But like I mentioned earlier they will only come during daylight hours. Bats are nocturnal and sleep during the day. 6 people have been out to my apartment to look for them and have torn my place apart looking but the bats are obviously hiding in the walls and/or ceiling by the time light breaks. Which is what has been so frustrating about this.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. You shouldn't be living in that kind of fear. If I was you, I would gladly pay whatever penalty is required and be out of there ASAP.

Also that picture that you have with the bat around your clothes, can't be safe. I'm not sure what kind of health impact that can have on you, but I wouldn't feel safe wearing those clothes either. This is becoming a huge pain, and IMO you should get out of there ASAP. Once you can finally breathe again, then go after the landlord.
Trust me, I said I was going to leave after the first incident. Then I realized they will probably sue me unless I can prove it's more than one bat. I've talked to an attorney, my alderman, Chicago tenants association. They all said I have no grounds for breaking the lease if it's just one bat. They stated is have a better case for leaving if I can prove there is an infestation. The law states my choices are:

Give the landlord 14 days to fix the bat issue and withhold a portion of the rent until it's fixed, or, pay to fix it myself and bill the landlord for it. This is per the Chicago tenants association which the alderman and attorney both referred me to. But I knew this was already the case as I had read the law before contacting them.

It appears the law is not on my side. But it may be if I can prove the issue is bigger than just one bat. Then it becomes more in the realm of inhabitable, public safety issue, etc.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Wait, so this same apartment had bats and bedbugs?

I hate to be the one to bring up the topic of lawsuits, but sometimes w/ these landlord/borderline slumlords, the only way to get through to them is via their wallets. You and all of the other tenants need to band together and talk to the landlord, preferably in person. Express the health danger of having these bats flying around, including the shots you've had to take. Bring up any and all inconveniences: the cost of the hotel stays, the time and money spent on the vaccinations, etc. Bring up the threat of calling in the Health Department (which shouldn't be just a threat- call them asap)- this is a public health issue. According to this site, there have been 2 confirmed cases of rabid bats in Cook County last year, 11 in 2013. Rabies is NO JOKE; people die if not treated promptly.

Get this information through your landlord's thick head any way you can and if they still have their fingers in ears going "la la la", threaten to break your lease and sue because, as is, your apartment is unfit for living, IMHO. Keep track of ALL of your expenses, including travel between your hotel and apartment and any medications. I would absolutely recommend talking with someone at CARPLS or another legal aid clinic to see what you rights are in this situation. Either way, prepare for a fight b/c it seems like your slumlord is unwilling to fix their unit. I wouldn't expect any quick answers and if things aren't fixed, you may have to move. If someone like Animal Control can catch the bat, I would work on sealing any entry points, again noting the expense and sending it along to your LL.

EDITED TO ADD: Is there any way you can set up video surveillance in your apartment? If your apartment is the main point of entry for the bats, maybe your neighbors will be willing to pitch in for it so every apartment doesn't need to be monitored. It would be good to have solid proof since the picture above is a bit blurry. Of course, catching the bat would be proof enough, but until then...
The picture is a screen shot of video that taken of it hanging in the closet and then flying around. In the video it is clearly a bat. It's just really hard to see in the pic.

I am keeping track of all of my expenses for now.

I had set up a camera in my place two weeks ago but it stopped working.

I don't know if you saw my most recent post before yours but a neighbor released the last bet I saw on Sunday by opening a window and letting it fly out through there. I wouldn't be surprised if it just flew back up to the top of my roof.

ETA:

Bed bugs were in a different apartment. About 2 miles down the street from where I live now. I left the apartment because of it.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Can't all of you neighbors get together and face the landlord down?
Sunday I talked to everyone in my unit (there's only 6 units total in my building).

They all seemed concerned and I asked them to contact the landlord and his boss in writing by Monday close of business. Only one has followed up. It's different when you're not the one who has them flying around in your actual bedroom and living space.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 AM

Adding:

Every time I've called the landlord he has sent pest control out he same day and they've never been able to find any bats.

So it's not like the landlord is ignoring me. In the eyes of the law they are doing their part by sending someone out. That's why this is so unfortunate.

In my letter to the landlord I sent pictures Of several potential entry points. Now I think of they do not seal up all potential entry points correctly within the 14 day timeframe I've requested then that would strengthen my case that the issue isn't fixed and the apartment isn't habitable.

Landlord called me first thing Monday morning after getting my letter via email which I also sent via certified mail. Said a wildlife removal service is coming out now. They contacted me and set up an appointment for tomorrow. We shall see what happens. I just need proof it's more than one bat. I wish the lady on my floor who saw a baby one hanging by my door would've taken a picture of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: