Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,447 times

Advertisements

]I would really appreciate input to be from people who had attended any of these Chicago schools, but if you have input from someone you know who attended that is also welcomed, thank you!

I'm currently a senior in high school in the fall of 2016. As a kid from the northwest suburbs of Chicago I really want to go to the city. I have visited a few colleges such as Marquette and Loyola Chicago (planning to visit UIC in the future) I also visited DePaul this summer and completely fell in love with it over these other two schools. I really have A LOT of questions so i'm sorry if this is overwhelming.

And even though I love it I do still have concerns. My plan is to major in psychology , I got a 26 on my ACT have a fairly good GPA and am involved in MANY extracurricular activities in HS. I also participated in many honors courses and will complete 7 AP classes when I graduate. What are my chances of admission and of receiving any type of financial aid as I know DePaul is a bit on the pricy side? My main concern is will I get in?

Also, I'm sort of shy when first meeting people. None of my other friends are really looking into DePaul so I assume that if i go I would go without knowing anyone. Although, in my experience, I find it easier to make friends once you already know at least one person. Was anyone else in a similar situation? And if so was it easy to adapt or make friends? Just simply how was the social aspect? I really am a fan of basketball so I know i'd love to go to the games (I know there is no football team). Also, did you live on campus? And if so, could you please describe what that experience was like for you?

I don't need to be sold on Chicago, I am completely in love with this great city and know I'll be miserable going to school anywhere else. I love the weather, cold or hot, I know this is the city for me. I know I have practically zero chances of getting into U of Chicago and NU, so as far as my plan and HS self at the moment would you say DePaul is a good fit? Or would Loyola or UIC have greater opportunity and adjustments for someone in my situation?

Also, to anyone who is familiar with the common application, I am completly lost when it comes to letter's of rec, if I ask say two teachers for letters how can I apply those two to all my colleges on the common application?

I understand that it's hard to answer some of these questions since you, obviously, don't know me. But, I'm just using any information to educate myself on the school and the experience that it brings. If you have any other comments about the schooling you did at DePaul or these other Chicago institutions please leave them!

Thanks for any/all input you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 11:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Asked and answered.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:06 PM

7 posts, read 7,114 times
Alright so here is what I have to say.
UIC is good but not great it is a very big commuter school and frankly sucks, good funding and scholarships and grants. I went there for two year, terrible teachers and horrible bio/chem labs. I went there from fall 2010- spring 2012.
I transfers to Loyola, in the fall 2012.
If you go to Loyola major in Physics and Math. Great professor and amazing research with great classes I loved it, it's worth it.
I am to grad to DePaul I will keep you posted about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: