Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Damn near every city in the US has at least one restaurant selling Chicago style deep dish. It's not always as good, but it's close because pizza is easy.
Making an edible Chicago deep-dish pizza is easy. Making it right isn't. Even many pizza joints here can't get it right.

Quote:
You can't get good Mexican food outside of California either.
Ah jeez, this old canard?

I bet you can get better Mexican food in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 12:18 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Making an edible Chicago deep-dish pizza is easy. Making it right isn't. Even many pizza joints here can't get it right.

Ah jeez, this old canard?

I bet you can get better Mexican food in Mexico.

I lived in Chicago for many years. The pizza was great, don't get me wrong, but it's really not any better than anywhere else. I've been coast to coast. It's really not a complicated dish.

I always got a laugh about Californians thinking you can't get good Mexican food anywhere else. Just joking about that.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:33 AM

Pilsner is not a complicated beer either, but there's no shortage of breweries that proudly make a thoroughly shtty rendition of it.

So how much sugar, basil, rosemary, garlic, etc., do you use to make the sauce? What about the consistency -- thin, thick, or chunky? What kind of tomatoes do you use for the sauce? What type of mozzarella do you use -- whole or part-skim? How many slices? How long do you proof the dough before you par-bake it? How long do you par-bake it? How much of what type of fat do you use in the dough -- olive oil? Butter? Shortening? How much cornmeal? Slight variations on these ingredients can have significant impact on the final product, so it's a little more complicated than meets the eye. This is why even many local pizza joints can't make a decent version, and I've literally never had a convincing version outside the Chicago area that didn't come from a chain that originated in Chicago. And even sometimes they mess it up, such as every Uno I've been to that isn't located on Wabash -- probably attributable to their acquisition by some group in Boston.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:59 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,035,636 times
In a word...No.

In a few more words, go to Gino's East.

While you're not going to get the experience you would have from the old place where you had to walk downstairs but you could carve your name into the table with a knife, the recipe is pretty much the same.

ALWAYS go with the sausage patty, no crumbled. Also, get some extra sauce to dip the heavenly crust into.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:47 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,164,989 times
Quote:
You can't get good Mexican food outside of California either.
Close to 2 million people of Mexican heritage in Chicagoland and you don't think we can get good Mexican food here?

Old 08-14-2015, 10:51 AM

25 posts, read 26,509 times
Evanston has Giordanos, Lou Manattis, Chicago Pizza Company, and couple other local joints.
Morton Grove has Giordanos, Pequots and Burts.

If you make it out further north, Buffalo Grove has Nino's, Giordanos, Lou Manattis and Gino's East.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default Lou MALNATI'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalist View Post
Evanston has Giordanos, Lou Manattis, Chicago Pizza Company, and couple other local joints.
Morton Grove has Giordanos, Pequots and Burts.

If you make it out further north, Buffalo Grove has Nino's, Giordanos, Lou Manattis and Gino's East.
About a DOZEN dine in locations, and more than 40 counting all their nice carry out locations where the really do cook 'em just like in the sit down locations and as long as you get it UNCUT and live less than 10 minutes from the place is a great option -- http://www.loumalnatis.com/locations

Old 08-14-2015, 11:45 AM

655 posts, read 1,127,767 times
Go to Lou's and don't forget the butter crust!

Seriously, I have lived here my whole life and I always thought I hated deep dish pizza because the first one I ever had was from somewhere other than Lou's. It just tasted bland and the sauce was not good.

As an adult I was invited to a party and they had Lou's deep dish. I tried it and fell in love! I am a huge fan and would highly recommend that you do your first tasting there.

One note.....if you order sausage it will come as a full layer on the bottom. For me, that is too much so I always order sausage pieces and they do that instead. It is just less sausage more spaced out. Totally a personal preference.

And, no. Nobody does deep dish better than Chicago.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:28 PM

678 posts, read 697,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
In a word...No.

In a few more words, go to Gino's East.

While you're not going to get the experience you would have from the old place where you had to walk downstairs but you could carve your name into the table with a knife, the recipe is pretty much the same.

ALWAYS go with the sausage patty, no crumbled. Also, get some extra sauce to dip the heavenly crust into.

Which location?? Theres like 5 of them!

Old 08-14-2015, 04:25 PM

There's a lot more than 5. If your heart is set on Gino's.... go to the one closest to wherever you're staying.

I think most folks here will suggest that Lou's is better though. And don't get the sausage patty unless you want a salty meat frisbee stuffed into your pizza. IMO it's overkill. Get crumbled instead. And you have to specify crumbled; if you just say "sausage" at Gino's or Lou's you'll get the meat frisbee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago