Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 02:03 PM

76 posts, read 95,759 times

Advertisements

I work out of Lisle once or twice a week, usually once a week. I've been commuting from Lakeview to Lisle for 2 years now, and I'm SICK of it. It's usually 60 mins in the morning, and 120 mins in the evening.

That being said, I was originally planning to lease a nice car and live in River North to shorten my commute just a little bit, and make commuting more bearable with a nice car.

However, I just realized that my workplace is a mile from the Lisle metra station, and the metra can take me to Lisle within 30 minutes. A coworker could easily drive me to work every time I'm at Lisle.

Based on that info, would it be reasonable to take the metra from River North to Lisle? Is River North close enough to Union Station?

This would seriously free up a ton of my time and I might not even need to lease a car if it's possible.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 02:45 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Yes, this is a decent commute MOST of the year. I have had friends that did that sort of commute for quite a while. Assuming that you are not in a situation where you absolutely GOTTA BE in Lisle on days with nasty weather or a delay on the reverse commute side of the BNSF (which is GENERALLY the case when your employer lets you work from some other location 3 or more days a week) this is a doable.

Make sure the coworker is also in a role that won't result in them being in hot water if your train is delay and/or figure out a way to rely on Pace or even a bicycle in good weather and this can actually be "fun"in a goofy sort of way. The buses in River North generally do not run directly to Union Station but in decent weather the area is generally quite walkable, figure maybe 20-30 minutes to the station. There are more Pace buses from Naperville to the Warrenville Rd stretch of office campuses in Lisle, figure a hour or so of combined non-express train service and bus or co-worker pickup for about 90 minutes or so travel time. I would not do this daily but a couple times of week, especially the schedule is flexible when weather is horrible is not the worst...

Old 08-14-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Yes, this is a decent commute MOST of the year. I have had friends that did that sort of commute for quite a while. Assuming that you are not in a situation where you absolutely GOTTA BE in Lisle on days with nasty weather or a delay on the reverse commute side of the BNSF (which is GENERALLY the case when your employer lets you work from some other location 3 or more days a week) this is a doable.

Make sure the coworker is also in a role that won't result in them being in hot water if your train is delay and/or figure out a way to rely on Pace or even a bicycle in good weather and this can actually be "fun"in a goofy sort of way. The buses in River North generally do not run directly to Union Station but in decent weather the area is generally quite walkable, figure maybe 20-30 minutes to the station. There are more Pace buses from Naperville to the Warrenville Rd stretch of office campuses in Lisle, figure a hour or so of combined non-express train service and bus or co-worker pickup for about 90 minutes or so travel time. I would not do this daily but a couple times of week, especially the schedule is flexible when weather is horrible is not the worst...
I do have quite a bit of flexibility when commuting to Lisle - usually only need to do it once a week just to make an appearance at work.

I don't think walking to Union Station is an option - it's about 1 mile, would probably find a bus route. So I was thinking this:

20 min bus ride from River North to Union Station
30 min train ride to Lisle
10 min drive to work from coworker

Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Reverse commute expresses are pretty rare, you need to bump up the train travel time and depending on where the office is relation to the Naperville or Lisle stations adjust accordingly...

Old 08-14-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Reverse commute expresses are pretty rare, you need to bump up the train travel time and depending on where the office is relation to the Naperville or Lisle stations adjust accordingly...
Looks like it's express all day.. From union station to lisle, BNSF railway

Old 08-14-2015, 04:04 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinjobra View Post
I do have quite a bit of flexibility when commuting to Lisle - usually only need to do it once a week just to make an appearance at work.

I don't think walking to Union Station is an option - it's about 1 mile, would probably find a bus route. So I was thinking this:

20 min bus ride from River North to Union Station
30 min train ride to Lisle
10 min drive to work from coworker
1 mile is not long. It's a 20 minute walk, and you don't have to wait for the bus or spend on bus fare and you get a bit of exercise. Ride a bike part of the year (Divvy is a good option) to cut that time in half. If you do that most of the time, you can spring for a cab in the winter with barely any impact on your overall annual costs.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:30 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinjobra View Post
Looks like it's express all day.. From union station to lisle, BNSF railway
The Metra website schedules are station to station so you aren't viewing the in between stops. That being said it looks like there area couple reverse commute express trains during moring and afternoon rush.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
The Metra website schedules are station to station so you aren't viewing the in between stops. That being said it looks like there area couple reverse commute express trains during moring and afternoon rush.
How can I tell the actual time then? Or whether it's an express train?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
1 mile is not long. It's a 20 minute walk, and you don't have to wait for the bus or spend on bus fare and you get a bit of exercise. Ride a bike part of the year (Divvy is a good option) to cut that time in half. If you do that most of the time, you can spring for a cab in the winter with barely any impact on your overall annual costs.
I can probably do this, seems reasonable.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
If you live in River North, you'd be looking at probably 10 or 15 or so minutes to get down there depending on where you are. Right around Union Station is not bad, but a little boring. West of the expressway is a little better. Guess it depends on what you want in life. Since you only commute once or twice a week, then River North might not be as bad as if it were every single day.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you live in River North, you'd be looking at probably 10 or 15 or so minutes to get down there depending on where you are. Right around Union Station is not bad, but a little boring. West of the expressway is a little better. Guess it depends on what you want in life. Since you only commute once or twice a week, then River North might not be as bad as if it were every single day.
I want to be near the nightlife/restaurants. I commute on I-55 three days a week, and Lisle once a week.

I heard River West was cheaper, but basically pretty boring in the evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago