Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:59 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

In Illinois unless your child is an infant she must have her own bedroom. Elementary schools(K-8) begin about the third week in August. High School (9-12) start about the same time or a little later.

In some schools districts she will not be able to attend class until she has a physical exam, hearing and eye exams, and all of her vaccinations brought up to date. By the end of July/first of August it will be harder to get your child into a child's doctor to get the exams. There is the matter of verifying for child: all current UK school records, and a photo ID for her..

Chicago is a city of about 2+ million residents inside a county of six+ million residents. Illinois' other 4 million residents are in communities spread throughout the state. These residents are separated by thousands of acres of corn, beans, and cattle in areas that are crossed and criss-crossed by 38,000 miles of state and federal roads.

It is also home to one of the busiest airports in the world. It is a port city. And it is a hub city for commercial shipping by rail, water, air, and semi-truck. It is a city with considerable transportation might with multi-lane routes that are busy with traffic from about 7 am to 1am most days or 17/18 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 02:54 PM

219 posts, read 377,370 times
Movingmomsep2015...what happens if the "church" is not all you assume it will be? You seem to already be quite attached, and know nothing about the congregation or if they can be helpful to you and your child. If you are that attached, contact the church and ask for guidance and support.

There are many many struggling artists in the Chicago area. If you take a walk down Michigan Avenue you will often see them AND their children panhandling. You need to secure stable employment immediately. It will be hard, very hard, to live anywhere near Chicago on your $1600/month two month budget. What happens in two months, if you do not secure employment?

Illinix is correct on the law requiring your child to have his/her own bedroom too. Take heed of the advice you are being given.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 5,659 times
Dear Beachgoer44 and Linicx,

Thank you for your email. I actually need a three bedroom, because I have a home office where I run the administrative aspects of my business from.

It is however sad, that you hold artists in such low esteem. Mainly not knowing who I am.

Thanks anyway.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:14 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,445,757 times
ToriaT knows what he is talking about. The best choice would be Oak Park, at least a couple blocks west of Austin Ave. The second best choice would be either Berwyn or Forest Park itself. Forest Park can be a little shady, but there is good value to be found there. With that being said, I have heard that the schools in Forest Park are not nearly as good as Oak Park.

I don't think you could live on $1,600 per month. Even if you found some place for $1,000 per month that would leave you with $600 per month of disposable income. Utilities could be $100 per month, groceries for two would run $300 per month, so that leaves you $200 per month for health insurance, clothing, automobile, cell phone, automobile maintenance, the costs associated with running a business, etc etc, which would be way more than $200 per month.

Last edited by pete6032; 08-26-2015 at 05:24 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 07:00 PM

219 posts, read 377,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmomsep2015 View Post

Thank you for your email. I actually need a three bedroom, because I have a home office where I run the administrative aspects of my business from.

It is however sad, that you hold artists in such low esteem. Mainly not knowing who I am.

Thanks anyway.
I meant no disrespect regarding your chosen profession. You painted a bleak picture of your finances and gave the impression you are not "established" as an artist.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:28 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Hi jtamay,

Thanks for your concern. I appreciate your reply. I am trying to remove my tel/email but it doesn't let me edit it.
I would like to be in the vicinity of my church, which is in Forest Park.
No, I don't have family. Only 1 cousin in South America apparently and another one in Toulouse, France.
Why Chicago?, because it's better than New York, very artsy, great schools and that is where my church is. We need a new beginning to be honest. We've been through a lot. We've lived in NY, but .... thanks but, naaaaah thanks.
When I asked about how much money till I get on my feet, as I stated, I planned on a couple of months, as in 2 months, so I can get organised with my displaying my art etc.
My income will be on a net basis of $1600 a month approximately. Till I get a job and or places to sell my art.
I will be buying a car cash. I need an SUV. A used one obviously. But I need it that big because of the amount of stuff I always carry around during shows etc.

Can you think of any amount you believe would be suitable in order to accomplish these? ie: "Arrive in Chicago with $3500 Hannah, or oh no you will need at least $10,000 to start your life again!"

As far as area, when I meant Chicago, I meant surrounding areas, like suburbs and stuff. As Pete suggested. I know city living is very expensive. I'm starting from scratch you guys. I think suburbs would be a good option. The closer to my new church the better. Always keeping in mind I have a teenager, and need a good school.

Thanks again.
H
I'm just going to throw this out there, but let me see if I get this right:

You are wanting to move to Chicago(land) because it's where your church is. Your total net income is $1600 a month and you need a three bedroom for rent. We're assuming you also want a safe neighborhood. The problem is, you can't have all three of these things. Even at $800 a month on housing, which is half of your income, 3 bedrooms are out of the question. Oak Park is not a cheap area to live in and it's surrounded mostly by even more expensive areas. The areas that aren't expensive are areas you would not want to live in except as ToriaT said, places like Forest Park or Berwyn (which are still out of your budget)

There's this place, for example:

6928 S. Talman 1st Floor -3 Bedroom

Which is shockingly low for a 3br at $750 a month, but I'm venturing to guess it's because it's in a not-so-nice neighborhood. If I'm wrong about that, I'd say jump on this. But really, what you want is unattainable unless you up your budget. Or more like double your budget at a minimum.

The only other option is maybe finding a really, REALLY far flung town in rural Illinois that may have something with rent that is manageable temporarily. If you're planning to purchase a car anyway, and location isn't really an issue, it may be something to consider. Even there though, I have a hard time imagining finding a decent 3br for under $1k, but I'm sure you could find something if you looked hard enough. I know you have your church in Oak Park but if you're only planning to go once a week, the drive wouldn't be as big a deal.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 PM

Excuse me, when did I say I hold artists in low regard? Since I don't know you or your work I have no reason to hold, or not hold, you in any light.

FYI: I've collected artwork for 50 years.

I live in an area of Illinois that has had an impressive art enclave for many years. Among common opportunities to be known, such as galleries and studios, our guild does host the largest juried art and craft fair outside of Chicago. It averages 40-50000 visitors every year.

Welcome to Cook, the second largest county government in America. Chicago is its County Seat. Oak Park is historically important due to Frank Lloyd Wright and others of his era. It has a small group of artists, too. The library often displays the work of local artists. OP is home to the unique Church of Beethoven. Oak Park does have some gorgeous old houses with character that have been converted into apartments. Do stay two blocks west of Austin because you have a child.

A car is an expensive convenience in Chicago. Street parking is at a premium. The gated/guarded parking lot is expensive, covered parking is not easy to find, but finding a garage to rent is a miracle.

Most of the time you won't need a car as you can rent a Zip car to run errands if the train is not convenient. You should be able to rent a car for the weekend when you need it.

A three bedroom will cost you a very pretty penny. It's how the game is played. If you want a 3 bd you can afford you should probably look in Wisconsin around Rockton, IL, or NW Indiana NOT near Gary, or west of Aurora. Living is cheaper when you get into one of the surrounding counties.

Quote:

Thanks anyway.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 AM

65 posts, read 103,614 times
Oak Park for $750 dollars a month? No, no and not possible.
Sorry.
3 bd for 750 dollars is shocking enough if you find that in ANY suburb or city 'hood, yes, even for the South Side it may be shocking.
For that cash, you are lucky if you get a 2 bd or 1 bd.
3 bedroom for that cash will cause you to be in some farmer town or something which is REALLLY FAR AWAY.
So look for 2 bd and 1 bd.
You could find these I'm sure in Melrose Park or Dunning, 2 bedrooms for 800 or 750(it is going to be really run down though).

If you need anything, reply to me, I know Chicago pretty well, from anywhere ranging from Antioch to Chicago to Schaumburg.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 AM

The OP wants 3 bedrooms. Yes, she might be in a farm town, not in Chicago or Oak Park, but, it is doable, and affordable. $750 in Chicago is not usually a place that is safe or even very nice.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:20 AM

70 posts, read 92,548 times
I would not make this move without $50k in cash at a minimum, plus whatever money you need for materials for your artwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago