Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:09 AM

215 posts, read 351,617 times

Advertisements

My mom is visiting me in early December, and she's a bit of a party animal now that she's retired. She wants to go to a nightclub with me but doesn't want to dance to music she doesn't know. Like most women in their late 50s, my mom is keen on disco, 80s pop, and even 90s pop as well as some of the lighter modern stuff (like "Happy" and "Uptown Funk").

Is there anywhere in Chicago that plays this type of music? We'll probably be going out on Saturday night, though Thursday could be a possibility if I take off work while she's here. I live along the Brown Line, so anything near Brown or Red would be easy to get to, but we'd make a trek to Logan Square as well for this special occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 04:46 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,989,799 times
I know a few places that play older cuts, though I'm not sure it would be your mom's scene - like Danny's in Bucktown - pretty hipster with a small dance floor but you will on certain nights hear a lot of older stuff (could be disco or stuff from the 70s thru 90s). I think at other clubs or something like that in town in more hip areas, you'll probably find places that would have nights dedicated towards certain types of music. Neo for example, formerly in Lincoln Park, has New Wave nights (they moved to Wicker Park while they find another more permanent home).

What I would do is look at various clubs and known places with a dance floor and look up individual nights to see what they're playing, if possible. Some of these might have more hipsters or "hipsters" at them than you'd think. I love Danny's though for this type of thing, but not sure it's your mom's crowd and I wouldn't classify it as a dance club even though it has a small dance floor. They play some deep cuts there though and I've heard a lot of good stuff on various nights.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,125,949 times
I'd say the Hangge-Uppe, especially before midnight or 1:00 am seems like what you're looking. So long as you're okay with the fact that it can be a bit of a drunken ****show, especially later in the night. But they play 80s!

Old 10-09-2015, 01:52 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,938,522 times
Swing night (Sunday starting around 7) at May I Have This Dance on Elston. Although there is a West Coast Swing lesson beforehand, they play 70s-80s-90s pop, not swing band music.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 AM

577 posts, read 671,576 times
There are plenty of 80s nights, although ironically the crowd tends to be people who weren't even born in the 80s, let alone lived through it.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 AM

215 posts, read 351,617 times
Thanks, I'll check these places out. I don't think my mom will care if there are a bunch of annoying hipsters since we won't be interested in talking with anyone or hitting up dudes while we're out.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:18 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,158,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy506 View Post
My mom is visiting me in early December, and she's a bit of a party animal now that she's retired. She wants to go to a nightclub with me but doesn't want to dance to music she doesn't know. Like most women in their late 50s, my mom is keen on disco, 80s pop, and even 90s pop as well as some of the lighter modern stuff (like "Happy" and "Uptown Funk").

Is there anywhere in Chicago that plays this type of music? We'll probably be going out on Saturday night, though Thursday could be a possibility if I take off work while she's here. I live along the Brown Line, so anything near Brown or Red would be easy to get to, but we'd make a trek to Logan Square as well for this special occasion.
I must be getting old. These are some of my favorite current tunes, as they are influenced by the classic styles I grew up with in the 80s and early 90s.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:49 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,178,749 times
Bar Deville on Damen, Neo Thursdays at Debonair

Old 10-10-2015, 06:35 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,626,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy506 View Post

Yeah the gay clubs on Halsted like that kind of music. (i do too).

Old 10-15-2015, 01:57 PM

3,946 posts, read 6,865,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I'd say the Hangge-Uppe, especially before midnight or 1:00 am seems like what you're looking. So long as you're okay with the fact that it can be a bit of a drunken ****show, especially later in the night. But they play 80s!
I second this 100%. I actually brought my mom and my uncle there and they both LOVED it, still talk about it all the time. My mom wants to go back, lol. My buddy also brought his dad there and they too loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: