Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:52 PM

525 posts, read 721,336 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a relocation to Chicago, IL so I could attend graduate school at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC).

Are there safe affordable areas to live not far from UIC and the Loop that are on the subway lines? I was born and raised in a car dependent southern city but I am willing to travel around on Chicago's subways.

Are Chicagoans generally friendly for a city its size compared to NYC and Los Angeles? I like friendly people too since I am from the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 04:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Are there safe affordable areas to live not far from UIC and the Loop that are on the subway lines? I was born and raised in a car dependent southern city but I am willing to travel around on Chicago's subways.
Define "affordable" - our idea of affordable in Chicago might not be affordable in Louisiana, for example. How many bedrooms for a place are you looking for?

Quote:
Are Chicagoans generally friendly for a city its size compared to NYC and Los Angeles? I like friendly people too since I am from the South.
I'd say so - you're going to run into people from all over though so it's a mix. There some *******s, but on average people are fairly OK or better. Still might be a departure from what you're used to since there are still many "give it to me straight" types of people. Friendly on average compared to NYC though, but maybe a little tougher than the stereotypical midwestern attitude.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Define "affordable" - our idea of affordable in Chicago might not be affordable in Louisiana, for example. How many bedrooms for a place are you looking for?

I'd say so - you're going to run into people from all over though so it's a mix. There some *******s, but on average people are fairly OK or better. Still might be a departure from what you're used to since there are still many "give it to me straight" types of people. Friendly on average compared to NYC though, but maybe a little tougher than the stereotypical midwestern attitude.
Currently, I am paying $609.00 for 2 bedroom/2 bath duplex with water/sewer/trash provided and furnished washer/dryer.

If possible, I would prefer paying no more than $900.00 on any rental.

Could you tell me what is Chicago's definition of affordable? I've heard of affordable rentals with boiler system whatever that is near the University of Chicago.

Although I am friendly, I can be blunt too. I prefer people to be straightforward with me instead of being fake.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,473,177 times
Two bedroom for $1200-1300 would be considered affordable in Tri-Taylor. That's the neighborhood just west of UIC. Same thing in Little Italy, east of campus, will be around 400-500 more. That's because it is trendier and more amenities.

For Chicago, Tri-Taylor is a good deal. Pretty safe and near the Blue Line and the bus corridors.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Two bedroom for $1200-1300 would be considered affordable in Tri-Taylor. That's the neighborhood just west of UIC. Same thing in Little Italy, east of campus, will be around 400-500 more. That's because it is trendier and more amenities.

For Chicago, Tri-Taylor is a good deal. Pretty safe and near the Blue Line and the bus corridors.
Thank you for your suggestion. Isn't Tri-Taylor a part of predominately Hispanic since it is west of the Loop?

What are the areas in Chicago that everyone should steer clear of due to high crime rate and gang wars? Yes, we have heard about Chicago's crime on the news here in Louisiana all the time but I am sure it get blown out of porportion by the media all the time.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion. Isn't Tri-Taylor a part of predominately Hispanic since it is west of the Loop?
No. Tri-Taylor is in the Near West Side community area. That's less than 10% Hispanic. Lower West Side (Pilsen) is south of it and is majority Hispanic but that's rapidly changing as that area gentrifies. South Lawndale (Little Village) is west of the Lower West Side and is largest Hispanic community in Chicago. But it's been depopulating over the past 15-20 years as families leave its gang violence and lousy schools for suburbs like Berwyn and Cicero.

Quote:
What are the areas in Chicago that everyone should steer clear of due to high crime rate and gang wars? Yes, we have heard about Chicago's crime on the news here in Louisiana all the time but I am sure it get blown out of porportion by the media all the time.
Most of the violence occurs in a handful of the 77 community areas, mostly on the south and far west sides. You can research on here as to which those are but the Near West Side isn't one of them, and the Apartment People or whoever you use isn't going to steer you towards them, so you have little to worry about.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:16 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,964,685 times
Quote:

I would be pretty shocked if you could find a 2br for 12-1300 now. I use to live at Oakley and Harrison 4 years ago, and we paid 1400 for a 2br 2ba. I think with the recent uptick in rent even the 'not pretty' ones would be going around 1500.

But I do agree, its one of the better parts of the city price wise. Walk or take a quick bus to UIC, and your a few stops away from the loop on the L.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I would be pretty shocked if you could find a 2br for 12-1300 now. I use to live at Oakley and Harrison 4 years ago, and we paid 1400 for a 2br 2ba. I think with the recent uptick in rent even the 'not pretty' ones would be going around 1500.

But I do agree, its one of the better parts of the city price wise. Walk or take a quick bus to UIC, and your a few stops away from the loop on the L.
You can still get into an old building with 1 BR and 2 smaller bedrooms and minimal amenities for that price. You'd have to look but you could find it. Agree rents are going up though. That will continue as UIC continues to expand and the West Loop continues to grow as a job center.

I personally think the neighborhood is an hidden bargain. Yeah you're not in the heart of Little Italy but that stuff is only a mile or so away, and it's really easy to get downtown. The housing stock is good and it's very diverse.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:22 PM

8 posts, read 9,616 times
I would suggest looking in certain areas of Bridgeport, if you're close to Halsted, you can just take the Halsted bus to UIC. It's definitely cheaper than Taylor Street and you wouldn't be far from UIC. We rented there for 5 years, back in the day we used to pay $700 for a 2-br 1-ba apartment with washer/dryer in unit. I'm not saying you'll still find something that cheap but it wouldn't hurt to look.

Edit to add: I forgot to say that as a non-native Chicago resident, I think Chicagoans are a lot nicer than New Yorkers. I'll take Chicago over NYC any day!

Old 09-01-2015, 02:53 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,964,685 times
Quote:
You can still get into an old building with 1 BR and 2 smaller bedrooms and minimal amenities for that price. You'd have to look but you could find it. Agree rents are going up though. That will continue as UIC continues to expand and the West Loop continues to grow as a job center.

I personally think the neighborhood is an hidden bargain. Yeah you're not in the heart of Little Italy but that stuff is only a mile or so away, and it's really easy to get downtown. The housing stock is good and it's very diverse.
Just to be near Damenzos and their giant pizza puff for 7 bucks makes the area a bargain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago