Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:32 AM

226 posts, read 979,729 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]i know cities are noisy, but there has to be a "quiet" and laid back part of the city of chicago. right?
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
Lake Michigan

It's really quiet at the bottom

Old 01-28-2008, 03:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
There's no neighborhood that is entirely quiet because the grid system sees to it that every one of them has a handful of major thoroughfares running through it. But some neighborhoods are quieter than others simply because they are not "destination" neighborhoods, so you don't have as much traffic filtering through the residential parts looking for shortcuts around the clogged thoroughfares or places to park or whatever. That basically describes most of the neighborhoods outside of the North and near Northwest sides, though in some said neighborhoods the quiet is interrupted by gunfire more often than in others...

Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
"Quiet" is pretty relative. I'd say that most of the neighborhoods in Chicago are quieter than, say, anywhere in Manhattan or most parts of Brooklyn.

They're ALL louder than, oh, rural Iowa.

What's your frame of reference? Spent any time in Chicago?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Default Chicago's quiet hoods

If you are looking for quiet then take a look into Mt. Greenwood, Clearing, Garfield Ridge, and if you don't have to stay in the city, then there are about 200 burbs to consider.

Anyways, as far as the city is concerned the areas I named are very peaceful, safe neighborhoods with hard working people living in them. Garfield Ridge is probably as "suburbia" as you can get and still live in the city. G.R. is home to many cops and firefighters who are forced to live in the city in order to be able to work in it, so they live right on the edge of it in that neighborhood to be able to raise a family in an area that is safe, has good schools, nearly zero gangs, and like you want; quiet. The area's homes aren't cheap I will give you a heads up there. My ex sold her dump of a house that wasn't even habitable anymore for nearly $300K to a nice family who had plans to just about level the place and re do it. The house looks nice today though. Take a look at the homes off 51st and Narraganssett. Right near the rail road tracks are a ton of homes that are all brick. The area is loaded with old school Polish who have those homes that were built back in the 40's still looking like they are brand new.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Clearing and Garfield Ridge? How quiet can a neighborhood be that abuts Midway Airport? 51st and Narragansett is less than a mile from the airport and right underneath the approach/takeoff path of one of the runways. I don't consider having jet aircraft buzzing my home to be "quiet".

Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Clearing and Garfield Ridge? How quiet can a neighborhood be that abuts Midway Airport? 51st and Narragansett is less than a mile from the airport and right underneath the approach/takeoff path of one of the runways. I don't consider having jet aircraft buzzing my home to be "quiet".
Surprisingly its not that bad because many of the planes are already way up in the air, so it's not that loud. At least I never really noticed it. I guess I'm just more oblivoius to noise. I just tune it out and the sounds of planes just throwing off a lull of a roar never really bothered me. It was just background noise to me.

I guess its all what you're accostumed to. When I come back here from visits to NY, I can't sleep at night here after my return and my joke to my co-workers here is that I couldn't sleep last night (In Orland Park) because the quiet was so noisey last night. I grow reliant on hearing those horns and sirens all night long only to be woken up to
YouTube - Sounds of the City - East 51st Street

Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Surprisingly its not that bad because many of the planes are already way up in the air, so it's not that loud. At least I never really noticed it. I guess I'm just more oblivoius to noise. I just tune it out and the sounds of planes just throwing off a lull of a roar never really bothered me. It was just background noise to me.

I guess its all what you're accostumed to. When I come back here from visits to NY, I can't sleep at night here after my return and my joke to my co-workers here is that I couldn't sleep last night (In Orland Park) because the quiet was so noisey last night.
Yeah, you get used to it. My neighborhood (Lincoln Square) is pretty quiet, but I'm pretty close to Lawrence. I don't really notice any noise, but I just sat here and listened for a few minutes and picked up mild traffic noise, distant sirens, and a passing plane. If I were brand new to the city, I might consider this a pretty noisy joint. A few years in, I never notice.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:22 AM

My aunt lives right off 294 in one of the huge mansions in Hinsdale that abut right up to the tollway and she said that when the Tollway Auth. put up the wall, it was really jolting to not hear the trucks and cars zipping by going over the cracks and potholes. (bu..bump....bu bump bump....) You just get used to it and then when its not there anymore.... GOOD LUCK TRYING TO SLEEP!. Its like starting to sleep with a fan in your room and then doing that for a month or two, then sleep over at a friend's house for a night and he doesn't have a fan... OMG you will go out of your mind laying there hearing every little creek and croak the house makes without some dull constant roar to drown it all out. As you can tell this has happened to me

Old 01-28-2008, 12:12 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I can't sleep without a fan anymore. it's become a debilitating crutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago