Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I think she should have added "wind chill" to her post.
Perhaps. In either case buses did not run. Taxis did not run. No school was open. Few businesses were open. All public events were cancelled across the city. Canned food froze in the pantry where I worked.

The only vehicles I am aware of that did run the first day were kept in heated garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 02:04 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Perhaps. In either case buses did not run. Taxis did not run. No school was open. Few businesses were open. All public events were cancelled across the city. Canned food froze in the pantry where I worked.

The only vehicles I am aware of that did run the first day were kept in heated garages.
And this happened one time in how many years? I think I was in Chicago for that awful wind chill, but I don't think it was on a week day. I remember it as a Saturday and we sent my son to play indoor soccer in a snowsuit in the coach's van.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:57 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,119,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
All of these posts are good solutions for the cold. Yes, a wide range of jackets & coats is a must.

But for me...
Full length camel hair double breastfed overcoat
I'm guessing you meant double-breasted, LOL

Old 09-19-2015, 08:02 PM

410 posts, read 488,120 times
If you're into brands, I've seen a couple of people where Canada Goose (it's the new North Face for the anti-North Face crowd - the irony). Keep in mind Canada Goose costs an arm and a leg for a winter jacket, at least for those who aren't making mad money annually.

If you're practical and realize Chicago isn't Antarctica (though it can resemble it every now and then on its best winter days) brands like Columbia will do for a casual winter jacket.

I'd invest in good snow boots. L.L. Bean boots are great. You can always layer your upper body, but if your feet are cold and wet that makes any decent day a very bad day. Keep your feet warm & dry, just like those in WWII.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:39 PM

596 posts, read 815,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
If you're into brands, I've seen a couple of people where Canada Goose (it's the new North Face for the anti-North Face crowd - the irony). Keep in mind Canada Goose costs an arm and a leg for a winter jacket, at least for those who aren't making mad money annually.

If you're practical and realize Chicago isn't Antarctica (though it can resemble it every now and then on its best winter days) brands like Columbia will do for a casual winter jacket.

I'd invest in good snow boots. L.L. Bean boots are great. You can always layer your upper body, but if your feet are cold and wet that makes any decent day a very bad day. Keep your feet warm & dry, just like those in WWII.
I know this is going to sound stupid, but I'm from Southern California where there really isn't any winter and where being clueless and stupid is generally accepted.

When people say "layer your clothes," do they mean putting long johns beneath your regular clothes, or just putting 3 shirts on and two pants on?

Last edited by probablyimnotsure; 09-19-2015 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 08:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Layering means different things depending on the activity.

How to Layer Clothes - REI Expert Advice

How to Survive a Chicago Winter: 6 Steps (with Pictures)

http://www.chicagoelevated.com/2013/...er-in-chicago/

Quote:
4. Layers.

I think non-cold weather people get confused by layers. Here we go:

Lower half:

First I put on the leggings, then I pull some knee-high socks up over the leggings, then TWO pairs of socks, then another pair of pants over all that. Just leggings and socks is NOT LAYERING. That’s just cold. Kay.

Top half:

A long sleeved shirt. Not just a long sleeved t-shirt, it has to be a well-fitting. And by that I mean tight – if you’re rolls are showing, but you have length at the bottom and in the sleeves – then that’s a good layering shirt. And preferably some kind of sport shirt almost – something meant to be warm. LONG sleeves, enough to go over your wrists up into your finger area so you have extra sealant when putting on mittens. Then a sweater or very warm, heavier piece of clothing on top. Or um, two sweaters. Or another shirt and a sweater. Or long underwear and a shirt and a sweater. Or…

5. Gloves, mittens,scarves:

The scarf is very important and needs to be wrapped well. The scarf is put on before your coat. Start at the base of neck, lower neck and wrap up to a little above your lips (so you can come out when you need to breathe). But also criss-cross the scarf at the hollow of the neck for better coverage.

Mittens are preferred for warmth, but urban living sometimes still requires use of fingers, if gloves, so be it. Pull the long sleeve shirt, then the sweater out through the cuffs of the coat, as far up to your fingers as you can, and then pull the glove or the mitten on over all that cloth. Then, tuck the glove or mitten into the cuff of the coat if you can. You’re a lil bug in a rug.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 PM

410 posts, read 488,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
I know this is going to sound stupid, but I'm from Southern California where there really isn't any winter and where being clueless and stupid is generally accepted.

When people say "layer your clothes," do they mean putting long johns beneath your regular clothes, or just putting 3 shirts on and two pants on?
Don't worry, it doesn't sound stupid. It's a good question.

Depending on how you prepare to go out into the cold and what you're doing that day, "layer your clothes" can mean both of what you've written.

Long johns (I have the pants) are probably overkill for most here but, if the weather drops low enough, I do where them underneath my pants/jeans. When I get to work I just take them off in the restroom and carry on with my day, and then put them back on when I exit work.

Layering the upper body for me usually consists of having a sweater over a button down/t-shirt with a winter jacket as the main shield on off-days. Workdays I just wear my regular shirt & tie with my blazer underneath my winter jacket. I then wear a scarf to protect the neck, my mouth and the chest which I place inside the winter jacket in order to keep out the cold air/gusts. The lower body, as I mentioned before, I wear my long johns or my Under Armor cold running pants underneath depending if I have work that day. I don't wear multiple layers of socks - one pair wool socks usually does the trick aided with the correct footwear. Workdays I tend to leave my brogues at the desk; if I don't I just carry them in a shoe bag with a pair of rolled dress socks inside.

Last edited by TheSunshineKid; 09-19-2015 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: I can't spell.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:22 PM

44 posts, read 51,304 times
Good thing you picked Chicago. Boston sucks.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:41 PM

I wore khaki pants once when I was visiting Illinois in the winter, and the cold went right through them.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:51 PM

Wow, after reading "How to survive a Chicago winter: 6 steps" I'm just now realizing how serious the cold is there. That article kind of woke me up. Then again, I'm moving to the Bloomington/Normal area, so I don't have to worry about the windchill as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago