Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:26 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Wow, after reading "How to survive a Chicago winter: 6 steps" I'm just now realizing how serious the cold is there. That article kind of woke me up. Then again, I'm moving to the Bloomington/Normal area, so I don't have to worry about the windchill as much.
Really?

Brrrr: Wind chill values well below zero overnight

Chicago doesn't get that many days with awful windchills. You just have to have the clothing to use *if* you need it. Chicago winters are variable. Some are not that cold. Others are really cold.

Worst Winters in Chicago

The Four Worst Winters Ever In Chicago « CBS Chicago

Top ten worst winter weather cities

Forbes Welcome

Baltimore, OH
Detroit, MI
Columbus, OH
Indianpolis, IN
Minneapolis, MN
Chicago, IL
Milwaukee, WI
New York City, NY
Boston, MA
Cleveland, OH

Now I don't get why Buffalo, NY is not on the list unless it is because it has less population. The list is backwards so Cleveland is #1, Boston is #2, etc.

2014/2015 was the coldest winter ever in Chicago. It had the most days below zero of any winter.

Here is the historical data.

https://www.climatestations.com/chicago/

Interestingly, January 1880 the warmest in Chicago history down to the present day (by more than 3 F) and in 1976/77, there was a great thermal anomaly “flip-flop” between successive four-month periods: October-January coldest such period on record, February-May the warmest on record, but January was the coldest calendar month in Chicago history (10.1 F). In 2000, it was exceptionally mild late February to early March with 72 F on Feb 25, 78 F on Mar 6 and Mar 7, but the second coldest December in Chicago history. In 2006, mildest January in Chicago since 1933. In 2012, warmest March in history by nearly 5 F.

Lots more information on the website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 03:15 PM

846 posts, read 1,399,997 times
One of my favorite winter clothing items is flannel lined jeans/khakis. Pajamas on the inside--work clothes on the outside. Insulated so the cold doesn't cut through

Old 09-21-2015, 04:00 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickilynne11 View Post
I'm moving to either Boston or Chicago (probably Chicago) after I get out of the Navy. I'm completely drawing a blank when thinking what clothes I should buy! I can only think of a few things.. Could anyone list some things or attach links to someones list? Thank you!
You where already in Chicago once.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:45 PM

596 posts, read 820,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
You where already in Chicago once.
Referring to boot camp in the Great Lakes region.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:30 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Referring to boot camp in the Great Lakes region.
Was there in the Navy too, spent over a year in great mistakes. ET A school.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 PM

596 posts, read 820,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Was there in the Navy too, spent over a year in great mistakes. ET A school.
What do they mean by "Great Lakes region"? Is it located in the city of Chicago? My buddy went there for boot camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago