Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 06:07 PM

14 posts, read 24,634 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am looking for some assistance on where to live in your great city. I am considering a job that is just a few miles west of the Loop. The salary would be around $80,000. Is that enough to rent a decent one bedroom in a nice, safe area? I would be coming from a very low cost of living area so definitely some sticker shock looking at various neighborhoods on craigslist.

I do have a car but ideally I wouldn't bring it if I can live in the right area. Any suggestions on potential areas for me to start researching? Would prefer to stay around $1200-$1300 for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 06:40 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
You should be fine especially if you are looking at 1 bedrooms.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:50 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Assuming you have no massive debt burden and keep things like entertainment within the wide range of "normal" you should have no problem living as single or even supporting a stay-at-home partner with a non-school aged child.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. I am single with no massive debt burden. Any suggestions on which areas to concentrate on? Would be nice to be able to get to work by just using public transportation with a reasonable commute time.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:32 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
You should be fine as long as you don't have massive debt and/or aren't really frivolous with spending money. What kind of area are you looking for? Do you have an area of where your job is since you want to use public transit - saying a few miles west of the loop doesn't really mean much.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:43 PM

The job would be near UIC and the Medical District. I am a mid 20's single male so being around decent night life would be nice. I am very active too so any parks, trails, anything sports related would be an added bonus.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExpress50 View Post
The job would be near UIC and the Medical District. I am a mid 20's single male so being around decent night life would be nice. I am very active too so any parks, trails, anything sports related would be an added bonus.
What kind of commute (i.e. minutes) do you want each way? The lakefront in the city is very nice with 18 miles of public bike/running paths, parks, and beaches.

My suggestions are:
1) River North - this is downtown and you'd probably live in a high rise if you were here (though not necessarily). There's a mix of things to do, but a lot of people in your age group making good money for the age live there too, or at least hang out there. A lot of nightlife. Fairly close to the lakefront, though not tons of parks away from that. The lakefront is awesome though. You'd have to take a train a stop or two and xfer to the Pink Line which has a stop at the MD. Probably 20-30 minute commute.

2) Lakeview/Lincoln Park - North of downtown by a few miles. A lot of people in their 20s and a lot of nightlife like River North, though a little cheaper on the nightlife front and rental prices. More low rise, though along the lake is high rise. The lake is part of these neighborhoods as well as a number of parks and Lincoln Park, the largest park in the city. Skews towards more sports-related stuff than some other parts of the city.

3) Wicker Park/Bucktown/Logan Square - Wicker Park has a more independent and artsy feel versus a Lakeview or Lincoln Park, though some sports stuff. Bucktown is more like Lincoln Park/Lakeview though (it borders Wicker Park). There's a new 2.7 mile long elevated bike/running path that joins up with some parks called the 606 that runs through Bucktown and Logan Square. Logan Square is more hipster, but if you want to live cheaper, it's a good option. The Blue Line runs thru these areas and has a stop at the north end of the MD. You'd probably have a similar commute time wise as living in River North I bet (maybe slightly longer).

4) Old Town - Kind of between River North and Lincoln Park. Has quaint streets and the nightlife skews more towards a Lincoln Park than a Wicker Park. On the Brown Line so you'd have to ride that and xfer to Pink Line.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:05 AM

125 posts, read 123,928 times
Quote:
The job would be near UIC and the Medical District.
In that case I would look at West Loop, University Village / Little Italy, or Pilsen.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:35 PM

I was surprised to see large studios/smaller 1BR in Streeterville for around $1500. I definitely enjoy urban/downtown life and it's an added bonus that it would be so close to work. Does anyone have any insight on how this area is after work hours? Does it really die down?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I was surprised to see large studios/smaller 1BR in Streeterville for around $1500. I definitely enjoy urban/downtown life and it's an added bonus that it would be so close to work. Does anyone have any insight on how this area is after work hours? Does it really die down?
Streeterville has stuff to do but it's not like a rowdy part of town. The things there are more low key I'd say. But the good news is that it's right next to both the Gold Coast and River North, which both have denser busy, popular nightlife in spots. Not a bad place to be,. The closer to the train for you the better I'd say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: