Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:51 PM

498 posts, read 724,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If one were to hover from a location southeast of the Field Museum it is likely that this shiny addition to S. Michigan Ave would not look merely utterly out of place, but it would visually detract from the dominance of the Sears Tower...
Cool story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 12:20 AM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
While I understand Chet's reservations, I truly hope to see all four of the recently announced buildings completed. Chicago's attraction is largely a function of its built environment -- it's certainly not topographically blessed -- and these buildings would give the city a boost.

What I also hope to see is more street-level life in the South Loop. Huge projects like this, unless they actively work to ensure street-level pedestrian engagement, are prone to making urban environments more like Streeterville than, say, the UES. The last thing the South Loop needs is a set of sterile towers-in-the-park where residents take the elevator to the carpark, drive a few blocks to the Target carpark, then drive home. That kind of suburban thinking will be the death of the city.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:48 AM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
Super Awesome.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:05 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
It's all in the perspective. From a helicopter floating over Maggie Daley Park the tower might look very different than from street level.

I did NOT say this is "lakefront", only an ignorant fool would try to twist that. What any sensitive development ought to try to do is choose the sort of building that respects the design and scale of this important site. This is a very visible feature to anyone enjoying Grant Park or the surrounding areas FROM street, including the view back from Navy Pier or the lake...

Willis Tower is still proud in this View. New buildings will show left of Museum One building.

If one were to hover from a location southeast of the Field Museum it is likely that this shiny addition to S. Michigan Ave would not look merely utterly out of place, but it would visually detract from the dominance of the Sears Tower...
Chet something tells me...... You have normally...... no luv for the Willis tower? But irreverent. You also realize, them new buildings would only have maybe.... a big of the tops? In these picture angle. Besides. You CANNOT See the Willis (Sears) Tower. From Michigan Ave. Only further in Grant Park. From the South, they are on opposite sides of the Loop/South Loop. Coming in on the Kennedy. Willis/Sears Tower still Rules the Skyline.

You also realize the Whole Titled Neighborhood (even if not official). Of the "New East-Side". Goes from Michigan Ave to the Lake..... WOULD YOU TODAY STILL SEE ITS FRAMING OF GRANT/MILLENNIUM PARK. AS STILL A ABOMINATION OR TAKES AWAY FROM THE HANCOCK BUILDING FROM THE PARKS?

DID TRUMP TOWER TAKE AWAY?

A Manhattanizing of Downtown began..... decades ago. To me.... it is also strange a Lucas Museum. IN THE MUSEUM CAMPUS. On a now paved over parking lot..... Was seen as taking away. I wonder if that is dead now?

I'm not sure, what you mean by it being a important sight? It already has Skyscrapers.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:07 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Steeps, you're drunk. And you're scaring the children.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:19 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:

Excellent point. We must consider how this will impact the ability of drones to view the Sears Tower from various locations.

Please drive in from the suburbs to lodge this critique at a community meeting.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:47 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
in my snarkiness, may i ask: will Houston be visible from the top floors?
From southeastern Texas: "I can see Chicago from here".

Old 09-25-2015, 07:50 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
You are absolutely wrong about Sears Tower, it is one of the best looking super tall skyscrapers. It is very well sited for it size, an impressive anchor for S. Wacker Dr, and generally a iconic sight from most parts of the region.

I similarly respect the place of the Amoco / Aon building in marking the NE edge of Grant Park/ Milemium Park and being an important anchor in the Illinois Centwr / New East Side. Together with buildings like the BCBS HQ and the Prudential Complex it frames Grant Park's north boundary.

The eastern edge of Grant Park currently has a very different scale. Hotels like the massive Hilton fit very well with the Auditoriim Theater/ Roosevelt Unicereity. The scale of newer buildings, like Speetus Museusm / school are also tastefully done. Some buildings have had their facade persevere as the interiors were reconfigured for luxury condos.

The proposed 86 floor tower is out pf scale and could lead to the canyonizatuon of a part of S. Michigan Ave that should be cautiously approached.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:40 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Chet, your negativity is completely out of line here. These buildings, and particularly the Jahn building, are nice additions to an area that is probably UNDERdeveloped compared to the northern fringe of downtown. It is a completely appropriate location for tall buildings and it will energize an area that is increasingly rich in amenities. I really can't understand your bizarre NIMBY-ism here... Or NISEBY-ism in this case since you don't live in the area (Not In Someone Elses's Back Yard).

Old 09-25-2015, 08:54 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
While I understand Chet's reservations, I truly hope to see all four of the recently announced buildings completed. Chicago's attraction is largely a function of its built environment -- it's certainly not topographically blessed -- and these buildings would give the city a boost.

What I also hope to see is more street-level life in the South Loop. Huge projects like this, unless they actively work to ensure street-level pedestrian engagement, are prone to making urban environments more like Streeterville than, say, the UES. The last thing the South Loop needs is a set of sterile towers-in-the-park where residents take the elevator to the carpark, drive a few blocks to the Target carpark, then drive home. That kind of suburban thinking will be the death of the city.
Totally Agree. There's a lot of room to grow there which is why I think we're seeing these projects down there. While River North, Gold Coast, etc are popular, I think these stick out as more prominent. Plus there is Grant Park and the renderings looked awesome on it. A little Central Park-ish but with way less high rises. More street life would be awesome. In the last few days there's been business licenses issued between Congress and Roosevelt for a mediterranean restaurant, two new cafes, and a Korean restaurant/lounge. It would be interesting to see if any more come and we can say that something is going on in the South Loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago