Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 01:44 PM

387 posts, read 356,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
You know what? You and others on this board (especially those who think I'm a troll) may be pleasantly surprised to know that I have no problem believing that certain parts of Chicago (mainly the downtown and its surrounding areas) are booming, and your list is partial poof of this. I say partial because you have suburban and O'hare locations listed as well) Here's the problem though, and people MUCH smarter than me have raised this concern. Chicago is on its way, if it's not already there to being "A tale of two cities". The middle class in Chicago is almost gone. Chicago is almost at a point where you have the very rich and the very poor. A strong middle class is the sign of a healthy city and country, so my concerns about Chicago extend to the entire USA as well. Are these companies or whoever that have bought these locations providing good-paying, middle class jobs. If so, great! If not, I'm not sure how much it contributes to a prosperous long-term future for Chicago. Regardless of whether this helps in the long term, I think this is the reason why the belief that Chicago will become Detroit isn't exactly true and is too simplistic. I know most people here will be shocked to hear me say that. LOL! HOWEVER, make no mistake about it, 2/3rd of Chicago (the south and west sides), it could be argued, are already Detroit.....and that' s the problem! So basically Chicago is part San Francisco (downtown and the Northside) and part Detroit (South and West sides). Let's just hope that the San Francisco( the north side and downtown) don't become Detroit (the south and west sides)....but from what I hear is going on in Lakeview, it doesn't sound good....and that sucks! Believe it or not, I want Chicago to be a better and safer place, because I like to visit. But at the same time, adhering to a fantasy that all is well isn't helping anything.

You don't even live in Chicago...You are a right wing Tea Bagger troll who lives in Montana and only hates on Chicago because it's OBAAAMMMAS hometown and because of it's relatively strict gun control laws.

As for Chicago being safe?? Well if you are White it is.

Homicide victims (so far) for 2015

Black: 331
Hispanic: 71
White (non Hispanic): 16
Other: 10

Total: 428

The White pop in Chicago is 31-33%....So 31-33% for a City of 2.72 million (about 870,400 people) and only 16 murder victims....Sounds safe for me

If I was Black I might think differently, but since I'm White I'm not to concerned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 01:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Since you know the area, have the new years eve traditions in Cabrini Green dissapeared together with the high rises being demolished and the original residents moving away?
Of course - all those high rises are gone and there's barely anybody who even lives there from CB itself. The only thing that remains are 146 units in row homes. The area is being redeveloped now. Here's what's happening where CB basically was. People aren't really afraid to go over in that area like they used to be - CB is long gone minus a few hundred people near Groupon's HQ at 600 W Chicago in the rowhomes.

* New Apartment Tower 'Xavier' Scheduled to Open This Fall, Embraces Cabrini-Green Name - Apartment Boom Town - Curbed Chicago - This is close to done or might already be done. Not sure

* River North Apartment Tower to Formally Break Ground June 9 - Construction Watch - Curbed Chicago - currently under construction

* Mixed Income Development Ready to Take Over City Farm Site - Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes - Curbed Chicago

* Next Up for Cabrini-Green, This New Residential Development - Redoing Cabrini - Curbed Chicago - I believe this is almost done
* Cabrini-Green Church to be Resurrected as Residential Project - Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes - Curbed Chicago
* http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-cabrini-green - These are done
* Inside the Apartment Tower at the New City Mega-Development - Curbed Inside - Curbed Chicago - These are done
* River North Apartment and Retail Tower Finally Ready to Rise - Apartment Boom Town - Curbed Chicago - Not technically C-B but it's right across the street, just south of the rowhomes. They're digging out the foundation last I checked
* A Look Inside The Just-Finished 858 Franklin Apartments - Apartment Boom Town - Curbed Chicago - Completed

There was also a new field house that was built within the last year or year and a half right near the CB rowhomes:
Jesse White Community Center and Fieldhouse | Chicago Park District

Then there is this stuff right at the west side of what was CB:
Sales Begin for Upcoming 'Strata' Condo Project in River North - Development Update - Curbed Chicago
27-Unit Treat Envisioned for Triangular Lot at Larrabee & Oak - Rendering Reveal - Curbed Chicago

Old 11-02-2015, 01:59 PM

387 posts, read 356,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
He is all about Political Extremism. Nothing posted will change his mind.... His Political agenda will kick in. To say I hope it isn't so .... changes nothing.

Yep he's a sad little troll who lives in Montana and only hates on Chicago because it's association with the evil Anti Christ Obama and because of it's relatively strict gun laws (laws that MANY other cities have)......

While Chicago does have a crime problem, it is exaggerated by brain dead Tea Baggers like Tony Montana....Also the same thing (crime problem) could be said for a VERY large amount of cities in the US....Unless you are coming from NYC or Seattle/San Diego or San Fran/LA most cities don't have that much room to talk when it comes to crime....New Orleans, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, Oakland, St Louis, Milwaukee, Baltimore, Memphis, Cleveland, Miami, Atlanta, even Washington DC (through you would never guess it because DC's Downtown is very safe and heavily policed for obvious reasons) all have crime problems just like Chicago does....

Basically if you are not living in the handful of "safe" cities that have seen huge reductions in crime from the 1980's....you have no room to talk about Chicago's current state of crime.....

He doesn't use any factual data to back up any of his absurd statements and just reverts back to "Liberals this and that" or some other nonsensical 5th grade argument that means absolutely nothing....

Old 11-02-2015, 02:39 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Actually there are crimes that can happen to anyone in any neighborhood.

Such as.

Home invasion.
Car jacking robbery.

The vast majority of shootings are Black-on-Black and are either gang related or drug related, but White people can still be a victim of some type of robbery.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:10 AM

577 posts, read 669,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Actually there are crimes that can happen to anyone in any neighborhood.

Such as.

Home invasion.
Car jacking robbery.

The vast majority of shootings are Black-on-Black and are either gang related or drug related, but White people can still be a victim of some type of robbery.
Yeah, but that's the case anywhere in the world, and is still very unlikely even if you live in a very bad area. The only way to be sure to avoid it completely would be to, I don't know, go and live on top of a mountain or something. But then you're in danger of a lot more different perils.

It amazes me that people I know are scared to wander around a city at night, but will happily drive a car after drinking alcohol.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:21 PM

347 posts, read 521,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Yep he's a sad little troll who lives in Montana and only hates on Chicago because it's association with the evil Anti Christ Obama and because of it's relatively strict gun laws (laws that MANY other cities have)......

While Chicago does have a crime problem, it is exaggerated by brain dead Tea Baggers like Tony Montana....Also the same thing (crime problem) could be said for a VERY large amount of cities in the US....Unless you are coming from NYC or Seattle/San Diego or San Fran/LA most cities don't have that much room to talk when it comes to crime....New Orleans, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, Oakland, St Louis, Milwaukee, Baltimore, Memphis, Cleveland, Miami, Atlanta, even Washington DC (through you would never guess it because DC's Downtown is very safe and heavily policed for obvious reasons) all have crime problems just like Chicago does....

Basically if you are not living in the handful of "safe" cities that have seen huge reductions in crime from the 1980's....you have no room to talk about Chicago's current state of crime.....

He doesn't use any factual data to back up any of his absurd statements and just reverts back to "Liberals this and that" or some other nonsensical 5th grade argument that means absolutely nothing....
Before resorting to ad hominem attacks, why don't you do some research? I probably know more about Chicago than you. I lived in Chicago and the suburbs for almost 20 years. I remain very interested in Chicago because I live to visit at least once a year and I want to be safe. From the reports of people on the ground and the weekly shooting tolls, I strongly question Chicago's security. Chicago city officials have been exposed as doctoring crime stats. So, that is the reason why I'm skeptical of the claim of Chicago machine politicians and many here that "crime is down" and Chicago is safe as ever Believe me, I wish they were right.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:10 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
Before resorting to ad hominem attacks, why don't you do some research? I probably know more about Chicago than you. I lived in Chicago and the suburbs for almost 20 years. I remain very interested in Chicago because I live to visit at least once a year and I want to be safe. From the reports of people on the ground and the weekly shooting tolls, I strongly question Chicago's security. Chicago city officials have been exposed as doctoring crime stats. So, that is the reason why I'm skeptical of the claim of Chicago machine politicians and many here that "crime is down" and Chicago is safe as ever Believe me, I wish they were right.
You need to get over the city you left..... the city continues to have the Gang on Gang violence on the Southside. All the shootings seem to be there. Statistics continue to show if White you are still very safe in Chicago.

Whatever reason you left for.... sympathy gained on C-D will be little. You can have your home in the mountains and forget the city you have nothing hood to say. You will change no ones minds.... and no one is changing yours..... but a PERSONAL BITTERNESS WE ALL SENSE and a POLITICAL AGENDA that is always there.

I believe there is a lot of fixing the books in NYC... but hey if Feds want to investigate it.... they sure can.

Chicago Homicide victims (recent) for 2015

• Victims of gang-related murders: 70% African-American , 26% Hispanic, 3% White; 93% male.
  • Offenders in gang-related murders: 76% African American, 20% Hispanic, 3% white; 99% male.
  • Victims of domestic-related murders: 79% African American, 10% Hispanic, 11% white.
  • Victims of armed robbery—related murders: 68% African American, 13% Hispanic, 19% white, 89% male.
  • Offenders in armed robbery—related murders: 87% African American, 9% Hispanic, 4% white; 93% male.
I think it is not hard to note..... If White in Chicago. You are MUCH SAFER then just overall statistic

Old 11-07-2015, 10:10 PM

347 posts, read 521,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
You need to get over the city you left..... the city continues to have the Gang on Gang violence on the Southside. All the shootings seem to be there. Statistics continue to show if White you are still very safe in Chicago.

Whatever reason you left for.... sympathy gained on C-D will be little. You can have your home in the mountains and forget the city you have nothing hood to say. You will change no ones minds.... and no one is changing yours..... but a PERSONAL BITTERNESS WE ALL SENSE and a POLITICAL AGENDA that is always there.

I believe there is a lot of fixing the books in NYC... but hey if Feds want to investigate it.... they sure can.

Chicago Homicide victims (recent) for 2015

• Victims of gang-related murders: 70% African-American , 26% Hispanic, 3% White; 93% male.
  • Offenders in gang-related murders: 76% African American, 20% Hispanic, 3% white; 99% male.
  • Victims of domestic-related murders: 79% African American, 10% Hispanic, 11% white.
  • Victims of armed robbery—related murders: 68% African American, 13% Hispanic, 19% white, 89% male.
  • Offenders in armed robbery—related murders: 87% African American, 9% Hispanic, 4% white; 93% male.
I think it is not hard to note..... If White in Chicago. You are MUCH SAFER then just overall statistic

Nope, I'll never get over Chicago...in the sense that I spent most of my life there and have a lot of great memories and have some great friends there that I still keep in touch with. As I've said a thousand times, I have an interest in Chicago's well-being, because I want to have a safe experience when I visit. While I miss things about Chicago, I love Montana.

Believe me, a huge part of me didn't want to leave Chicago. If I had the money to withstand the extremely expensive cost of living, extremely high tax situation, along with the instability of the job I had, I might still be there.

I'm not looking for sympathy.....especially from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago