Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 11:54 PM

304 posts, read 364,202 times

Advertisements

Alot safer than I would feel if I was your buddy in Detroit!
LoL j/k

Yes, I feel safe. Large swaths of Chicago are abandoned/bombed out but the vast majority of population resides far away from those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 07:46 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
To give some perspective; I lived in Baltimore for a few years ,and I feel 1000-times safer in Chicago than I did in Baltimore. Walking around downtown Baltimore at night and even certain parts of the day had me feeling uneasy. Plus, going just a couple blocks away from downtown could put you in a dangerous area. Chicago is big enough where you kind of know what neighborhoods to avoid, and you simply don't go to those areas. Overall, I feel very safe in Chicago.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:08 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
OP,

Don't let the crappy "news" form your opinion for you. They don't report facts anymore.

Yes, there is crime in the city but the violent crime tends to be more isolated in areas you're probably not going to visit. It's not the Mogadishu on Lake Michigan, there aren't running gun battles through the streets.

I'd bet that most crime actually happens at City Hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
About as safe as in any other war zone !
You been to an actual war zone?

Didn't know Chicago had: snipers, RPGs, IEDs, and machine guns (semi-automatic rifles are not machine guns).

Old 09-26-2015, 09:26 AM

498 posts, read 724,090 times
Your buddy from Detroit asks this?

Old 09-26-2015, 01:12 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
I personally don't feel real safe in any part of the city. Even though the statistics say crime is down it seems to be randomized and could in fact strike in many places. On the other hand millions of people go about their business day to day and nothing bad happens to them. I am really not afraid of being killed but more robbery and getting hurt. I spent over forty years in the city and never was a victim of a crime and was someone oblivious to it as we did not have internet back then. But things somehow seemed like they were safer, and neighborhoods more predictable. Big swaths of the city though have improved like West Town, wicker park, and bucktown.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:26 PM

846 posts, read 1,399,997 times
I think it's all an issue of what you feel safe/unsafe. Everyone is different. Is it loud noises such as fighting, hollering, shouting? Is it panhandling? Is it graffiti? Is it people loitering along your route home? Is it actual crime statistics?

I have lived in Pilsen and East Rogers Park and work all over the city from East Rogers Park to 115th & King. What makes me feel unsafe is hearing gunshots multiple times a week, an apathetic response from my local police station, and visible drug dealing happening. All these things happen in my neighborhood and is the reason we are relocating to a different neighborhood in Chicago.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:19 PM

577 posts, read 669,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I spent over forty years in the city and never was a victim of a crime and was someone oblivious to it as we did not have internet back then. But things somehow seemed like they were safer, and neighborhoods more predictable. Big swaths of the city though have improved like West Town, wicker park, and bucktown.
This is what I'm talking about. You're safer now than you were, but you're more exposed to reports of crime so you feel less safe. Your senses are heightened because of this constant exposure to horrific news stories.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:32 PM

347 posts, read 521,152 times
I know I've been one that is known to be pretty vocal about Chicago's crime and its other problems, but my message in this post is to anyone, whether they are living in Chicago, Illinois or Skagway, Alaska. Ultimately, cops and other authorities cannot ensure your safety. You have to take it into your own hands. Illinois's concealed-carry law sucks, but at least it's something, and it's better than nothing (Illinois was the only state in the union thad did not allow some form of concealed carry). Do you want to feel safe? Arm yourself. A 38 revolver or a 10mm glock are great weapons for self-defense. Unfortunately, in Illinois, to carry a concealed firearm, you need a FOID card, and then you have to go through the process of acquiring the CCW license, but as I said, it's better than nothing.

If guns are not for you, then carry some other weapon....perhaps pepper spray, or even brass knuckles. OOPS! Forgot, those are illegal in Chicago too! Gotta love them Illinois and Chicago laws and how they protect you from the bad guys! LOL

Old 09-26-2015, 05:34 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
You can find areas in most cities that will make you feel unsafe.

I have no tolerance for gunshots every night. Random robberies raises concern. Visually seeing random violence like fighting, stabbings and gang graffiti is usually a no go for choosing a neighborhood. Constant breakins are definitely no go.

Urban homicide stats dont bother me because of my demographic. Being raped is also one of the furthest things from my mind.

Everyone has their thing and different tolerance for crime. I dont recommend being lazy and letting the news media dictate where you choose to live. Gather facts before claiming a city is dangerous. Everywhere has dangerous sections of town.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:40 PM

577 posts, read 669,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
I know I've been one that is known to be pretty vocal about Chicago's crime and its other problems, but my message in this post is to anyone, whether they are living in Chicago, Illinois or Skagway, Alaska. Ultimately, cops and other authorities cannot ensure your safety. You have to take it into your own hands. Illinois's concealed-carry law sucks, but at least it's something, and it's better than nothing (Illinois was the only state in the union thad did not allow some form of concealed carry). Do you want to feel safe? Arm yourself. A 38 revolver or a 10mm glock are great weapons for self-defense. Unfortunately, in Illinois, to carry a concealed firearm, you need a FOID card, and then you have to go through the process of acquiring the CCW license, but as I said, it's better than nothing.

If guns are not for you, then carry some other weapon....perhaps pepper spray, or even brass knuckles. OOPS! Forgot, those are illegal in Chicago too! Gotta love them Illinois and Chicago laws and how they protect you from the bad guys! LOL
No offence but I think this is really bad advice. The last thing we need is more people on the street waving guns around.

Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

Guns don't offer protection

Bustle

Unless you're somehow making enemies by being in a rival gang or something, "bad guys" aren't out on the street wanting to kill you (and even if you are, having a gun isn't going to do anything when someone is creeping up behind you with a 9mm or drive-by shooting you). All you're doing by carrying a weapon is putting yourself and others at higher risk and possibly escalating a situation that can be settled without anyone being hurt.

How people can delude themselves into thinking they're going to save the day by blowing away a bad guy Dirty Harry-style is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago