Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:21 PM

70 posts, read 117,064 times

Advertisements

Do any residents feel safe in the city? My friend from Detroit always asks me this and I say I feel very safe here. I wouldn't live anywhere that made me uncomfortable. People need to understand that this is a BIG city and every Chicagoan opinion varies. Some people give Chicago sooo much crap for its crime, which I don't see is as bad as they see it to be. Remember in the early 90's when New York was one of the most dangerous cities in the world with well over 2,200 killings in a year? I doubt Chicago would get to that point. Also hoping that this crime thing is a temporary faze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 01:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I think most people who've lived in Chicago long enough, and who've seen a number of areas for themselves, know there's good areas and then there's bad areas of town just like most big American cities (and others from around the world). To answer your question, I feel pretty safe. There could be times where I feel more on alert in certain parts of town at certain times of day, but other than that.... pretty safe feeling in a lot of the city.

By the way, be careful about using raw numbers. While NYC had more homicides back in the day, they also had a higher population. Crime rate is more important - the two cities back in the early 90s had fairly similar homicide rates. Both cities have come a long ways from that - NYC moreso.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:21 PM

577 posts, read 669,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

By the way, be careful about using raw numbers. While NYC had more homicides back in the day, they also had a higher population. Crime rate is more important - the two cities back in the early 90s had fairly similar homicide rates. Both cities have come a long ways from that - NYC moreso.
The murder rate itself was a bit higher in NYC back then though (vs Chicago now). 30 per 100,000, so about the same as Oakland is now. But, it was more widely spread across the whole city than it is in Chicago.

I don't worry too much about murder rates. Even if you lived in the most dangerous city in the world, San Pedro Sula, Honduras, which has a murder rate of 187 (vs 21 for Chicago), for your entire life (lets say 80 years), you would still only have a 1.5% chance of being murdered. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that people involved with criminal activities or of certain ages have a much higher chance of being killed.

To put that into perspective, American soldiers on D-Day were four times as likely to be killed in ONE DAY than people in that city are likely to be killed in their lifetime.

Feeling safe and being safe aren't the same thing. I've noticed a lot of Americans are more fearful that people in other parts of the world, partly due to the way crime is reported in the media.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
which has a murder rate of 187 (vs 21 for Chicago),
This is not the homicide rate of Chicago. The highest year in homicides in the last decade or so was 2012 and that was 18.5 per 100K. The rate for the last few years has been about 14.5 to 15.5 per 100K. Parts of the south and west side though when combined are above 30 per 100k.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:29 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
Pretty safe unless I wonder into certain South/West Side neighborhoods.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:31 PM

577 posts, read 669,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is not the homicide rate of Chicago. The highest year in homicides in the last decade or so was 2012 and that was 18.5 per 100K. The rate for the last few years has been about 14.5 to 15.5 per 100K
I'm just going by the numbers wikipedia gives for 2014! Not that wikipedia is always right.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
I'm just going by the numbers wikipedia gives for 2014! Not that wikipedia is always right.
2014 was the lowest number of homicides Chicago has had since the 1960s and 2012 had way more. The Cook County Medical examiner reported 410 homicides last year. At just over 2.7 million people, that would put the rate around 15 per 100k.

Wikipedia is way off.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:34 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
About as safe as in any other war zone !

Old 09-25-2015, 04:01 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiabrazil View Post
Do any residents feel safe in the city?
1. Depends where in the city.

2. I'm an aggravator. I'm always looking for ways to get people locked up. I believe most people are criminals, but they just don't seem that way. You have to give them the opportunity to be 1. You have to put them in a position to, without disrespecting them 1st.

So stuff like telling people to shut up if they panhandled for money 1st, or, leaving a bike outside the front porch waiting for someone to steal, and, walking around shirtless in a gang-infested neighborhood to aggravate them.

-

I met a White girl today in a laundrymat in Pilsen, whom looked Hispanic She was tanned with blackish hair, which is not her natural hair color. She was also a little pregnant with no ring. I said to her you could get approached by gang members with the dyed hair making you look Hispanic She said she not afraid, and that she lived in tougher neighborhoods. She said she lived in Englewood, but upon closer evaluation she actually lived just west of it, and went to high school in a Hispanic neighborhood, with the SDs and 2 6.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:35 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
1. Depends where in the city.

2. I'm an aggravator. I'm always looking for ways to get people locked up. I believe most people are criminals, but they just don't seem that way. You have to give them the opportunity to be 1. You have to put them in a position to, without disrespecting them 1st.

So stuff like telling people to shut up if they panhandled for money 1st, or, leaving a bike outside the front porch waiting for someone to steal, and, walking around shirtless in a gang-infested neighborhood to aggravate them.

-

I met a White girl today in a laundrymat in Pilsen, whom looked Hispanic She was tanned with blackish hair, which is not her natural hair color. She was also a little pregnant with no ring. I said to her you could get approached by gang members with the dyed hair making you look Hispanic She said she not afraid, and that she lived in tougher neighborhoods. She said she lived in Englewood, but upon closer evaluation she actually lived just west of it, and went to high school in a Hispanic neighborhood, with the SDs and 2 6.
Ok, come clean. You're just messing with us now, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago