Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times

Advertisements

Ouch not so sure you can get a Manhattan style house for the price range you are looking in. Do they exist in Chicago...Sure, but they are rather pricey and for a decent single family style house like you would find in lets say, SOHO, Hells Kitchen, or Greenwich Village you are looking at about a cool mil. Now, you can however get a pretty decent condo right in Streeterville for about $400K and up. Streeterville is much like Manhattan and getting more like it everyday with all the new high rises going up and the increases in traffic the area is seeing. The good news about Streeterville is that there is an abundance of little parks all over the place not to mention the big ones right by there.. Grant Park and Millenium Park. With the housing market slump going on right now and all the new condos being introduced to the market in Streeterville I don't see why you couldn't find what you are looking for there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM

30 posts, read 129,652 times
I think I have seen the Beverly Hills/Morgan Park area..........is it different that Beverly? Can we see the city skyline from anywhere close?

Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM

Is the Streeterville family friendly though? I kind of assumed that we would have to be in a condo in our price range - maybe a brownstone or something?

Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM

and what about old town? i have seen that one alot too. coming from florida - i love the water and would like to be able to see it. i know lake michigan isn't the ocean - but it will work

Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,681 times
I raised two in the city all the way, one 15 the other 21. I recommend the Gold Coast, Streeterville, Lincoln Park, or possibly South Loop (but not too far south) for safety. Forget all the public schools. I researched them exhaustively over the years, and stayed with private. Don't believe the CPS hype. Lincoln Park may have a "few" great test scores, but the safety factor is unacceptable to most people (not the neighborhood, the racial tension and atmosphere and safety within the school)...they were listed in Newsweek or one of the magazines, and everyone who knew (actual parents) groaned.

There are wonderful Catholic churches, St. Michael's in Lincoln Park, Holy Name Cathedral, of course, St Peter's in the Loop (not a "family" type church but great location), and more. There re reasonably priced Catholic schools, some more than others. There are also non-religious schools, more pricey.

The cultural advantages are many...if your kids aren't going to like that stuff and long for a yard, it's tough. Mine immersed themselves in the arts, and we could not have had that opportunity elsewhere, so it worked out. Expensive, though. Team sports are also difficult in the city if your kid wants the "real thing."

At your price range, I'd recomend renting in any of the above areas; wait 'til the bottom of the market for buyers before making a decision. There are many condo rentals ... try not to go with a rental building with kids, condos work out better for that. We have lived in a beautiful vintage on the 4th floor, a mid rise and a high rise. Depends on what you want. There is more safety for kids with a high rise with a doorman in case they come home alone.

A good real estate agent could show you rentals or condos. You won't get a house in a decent neighborhood within city limits at this time at your price range, unfortunately.

I think it's a commitment the entire family can make, and he advantages are huge. It's totally different from the suburban kid living, and mine are measurably different from suburban kids (most) -- more seasoned, exposed to more. No bikes in the front porch, though, and messing around unsupervised 'til a much later age than the burbs....

Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM

We don't care so much about the yard and all that stuff...........we have it and don't do any of that stuff now. As long as there is a good park, they will be fine. I just want them to have that walk everywhere.... can do or see anything......upbringing.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:34 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrgrl74 View Post
I think I have seen the Beverly Hills/Morgan Park area..........is it different that Beverly? Can we see the city skyline from anywhere close?
Can you see the skyline? Well if you stand at the top of the old toboggan run in the Dan Ryan Forest preserve and squint on a clear day you can make out a few buildings
If you are looking for a typical urban environment, then you aren't going to find it here. More village, less city...

Old 01-29-2008, 04:17 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
Can you see the skyline? Well if you stand at the top of the old toboggan run in the Dan Ryan Forest preserve and squint on a clear day you can make out a few buildings
If you are looking for a typical urban environment, then you aren't going to find it here. More village, less city...
Yeah, I feel like the OP was asking about urban living, not just Chicago living. You won't find a very urban experience in Beverly.

It's a tradeoff. The areas in which this is possible are pricey. Having said that, here in Lincoln Square (which is not skyscraper city, but is right on the train, filled with restaurants and shops, and, in my mind, decidedly urban) I see families with kids and strollers every day. If I had the dough, I'd love to raise a family here. I just don't see it happening for most folks.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:53 PM

is lincoln square different than lincoln park?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrgrl74 View Post
is lincoln square different than lincoln park?
Yep. North and West. A bit quieter. A little older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago