Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:04 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times

Advertisements

I'm in a transition phase right now and living with parents in Seattle, but I'm considering a move to chicago. Why? I'm looking for an urban environment and one where a car will not be needed. My cousin lives in Minneapolis and I always enjoy visiting her in the winter. I grew up in Seattle, so I'm not too concerned about adapting to the weather. I work from home and commuting is not an issue.

I'd like to find a studio or one bedroom apartment (many I have seen have heat included) for $700 or less a month. I've been looking on Craigslist and I've seen quite a few in that range around Rogers Park, Evanston, and South Shore, but I know absolutely nothing about the neighborhoods.

Obviously, with no car I would want something close to the commuter trains. I don't necessarily have a preference for how close I would be to downtown Chicago, but I would really like to be close the lake.

How are the areas of Rogers Park, Evanston, and South shore? What are their "personalities?" Are there any others I should consider?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 10:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Well...

Evanston is a City adjacent to Chicago, on its northern border. It's home to Northwestern University main campus. There are parts that are walkable, but you'll be quite a ways from the more entertaining parts of Chicago.

At the other extreme, South Shore is neighborhood on Chicago's South Side, parts of which are reasonably close to the University of Chicago, but overall it is not a good choice for walkability / safety / convenience.

Rogers Park is sort of on the fringe of Chicago's north edge. It is home to Loyola's main campus. It has some pockets of crime, is not particularly convenienent to most of Chicago but in list you've created is the least bad choice...

Old 09-28-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Evanston is a City adjacent to Chicago, on its northern border. It's home to Northwestern University main campus. There are parts that are walkable, but you'll be quite a ways from the more entertaining parts of Chicago.

At the other extreme, South Shore is neighborhood on Chicago's South Side, parts of which are reasonably close to the University of Chicago, but overall it is not a good choice for walkability / safety / convenience.

Rogers Park is sort of on the fringe of Chicago's north edge. It is home to Loyola's main campus. It has some pockets of crime, is not particularly convenienent to most of Chicago but in list you've created is the least bad choice...
So do you have recommendations for other areas?

Old 09-28-2015, 11:57 PM

If I could live in the city center, I would. But I assumed on my budget that wouldn't be realistic. Maybe it is?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I suspect that with a bit of "walking around apartment hunting" you can find a studio on a more convenient / safer part Chicago.

I'd recommend looking in Lakeview or even the western fringes of Lincoln Park. Pilsen is not my favorite, but it is closer than Rogers Park.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:17 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Rogers Park would be ok. Also, other areas near the Red Line El north of downtown. Uptown, Edgewater, Lakeview neighborhoods.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 AM

672 posts, read 756,957 times
I'd put in a second recommendation for Pilsen. Very good value for money and an interesting neighborhood.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:10 AM

577 posts, read 669,447 times
If you'd be willing to have a roommate(s) you could live in most neighborhoods on that budget.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:58 AM

Thanks everybody. I was mostly going off what I saw on Craigslist when I put the price in. Is Chicago more of a walk around and find a rental than using Craigslist? Portland/Seattle heavily uses Craigslist for most available rentals.

I had no idea that I could afford to live closer to downtown, and I'm sure that would make it a lot easier with not having a car.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:39 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Not necessarily a walk around although some do find that way. Many use Craigslist even though many diss it. I think my son found every apt he had, and he had many on CL. Chicago is a city of neighborhoods. There are some that live in the down town area and in other places such as west loop or south loop but the real action in my book is the neighborhoods. As someone who is unfamiliar with the city I would skip anything on the south side. Its tricky to find a place there that is in a safe neighborhood and mostly there are pockets of good but they might be surrounded by bad areas. So forget South shore which is bad, and I'd skip Pilsen for now. I'd focus my search in places like Bucktown, Wicker Park, Lake view, Logan Square, maybe even Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, etc. I think Rogers Park is too far away to be convenient. Evanston is wonderful but again some believe its a bit far, a bit of a train or L ride to get downtown if that is where you work. Rogers park can also be crime ridden in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago